I was very excited for our stay at the Claremont. We were hoping to enjoy a little R&R by the pool. Having lived in the area for a few years,I knew of the hotel’s reputation and was very excited to stay here. We booked a Garden View room but were given room 145 with a horrible view of the roof of the building below with all the mechanical equipment. Garden view, I think not! The rest of our experience was equally disappointing.
Room Condition – Room smelled strongly of mildew. Bathroom is tired and worn out. Walls are also ver thin, could hear our neighbors late night and early morning. Obviously not the hotels fault but something to consider if you are a light sleeper.
Housekeeping – There was a reddish brown fresh stain on my pillow upon check in. So I guess my sheets wheren't changed. Also there was a comment card left in the room from February and we stayed here in April. It a shame the comment card was not read by management for they were also complaining about the mildew like smell in this room.
Pool Bar – Saturday the bartender didn’t know how to make the drinks on their drink menu. Also, I asked for a Pina Colada or a Daquiri and was told they didn’t have the stuff to make them. We ordered a Mai Tai and a Vodka Cocktail from their menu instead. However, the drinks were undrinkable! The next day my friend ordered from the same bar and was able to get two delicious Pina Coladas. When she told them about our experience from the day before the bar-tender just said “yeah that guy shouldn’t be behind the bar.” Really?
Pool –Great layout, nice environment but beware this is not a quiet relaxing resort style pool. The hotel sells passes to locals and runs children’s day camps which kind of takes away from the resort experience. Might be better on the week days.
Breakfast Service – The food was good. The Potato Croquets are out of this world! My friend loved her Banana’s foster pancakes. However, the service left much to be desired. We had to flag down someone every time we needed water refilled and for the check. The toast I ordered with my breakfast was delivered after I had finished the rest of my meal. Since now one came by to check on us after dropping our food, this was completely overlooked. When we did flag down out server, he always acted annoyed but he seemed to be extremely welcoming and attentive to tables with older guests. I know I may be young, but I’m well-traveled and have worked for years in the hotel industry and tip very well if the service is good. Blatantly ignoring tables with younger is just awful service.
I was not impressed at all. My friend and I who stayed here both used to be in the hospitaliy industry and I can honesty say that this type of service and lack of care for the rooms wouldn't be tolerated at a 3 star hotel, yet this hotel is supposedly 4 Diamond. Really disapointing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1915, the Claremont has pampered guests at the level expected of a AAA Four-Diamond award winning hotel. With stress melting spa treatments, a wide range of fitness options, special events, live music, and endless culinary delights, you’ll find the Claremont engaging - even if you choose to simply engage in quality time alone. We deliver attentive service with a gracious hospitality casual enough to make you feel right at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Splendia, Travelocity, BookIt.com and Odigeo so you can book your Claremont Hotel Club & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Claremont Hotel Club And Spa
- Claremont Hotel Club Berkeley
- Claremont Resort Berkeley
- Claremont Hotel Berkeley