The Claremont reminds me of an old school hotel - the grand hotels of the past, because it is one of them. It is also an expensive private club that caters to the well-off in the area. I thought of the hotel in the movie The Shining when I first saw it, though without the scary bits.
Check in was fast and easy and handled by a friendly clerk. Off to the room in one of 3 tiny elevators and I was walking down a long hallway to my room. The decor is fancy, somewhat Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco style, and you can tell that the hotel's bones are old given the plaster walls and inherent issues with an old building. However, all seemed to be in great repair.
My room had no view, except of the HVAC exchanges and the hills, but I wasn't spending my time there for the view. The room was average in size, plaster walls with a few scuffs here and there but nothing to indicate poor upkeep or maintenance. A king size bed was centered in the room. A small alcove had a chair, tiny table, and a desk upon which the basket honor bar rested. A large flat screen TV sat atop a dresser to the side. My package included parking (the lots to the hotel are gated), internet (I think, can't recall for sure), and the recreation fee that would otherwise add another $25 to the daily room rate for access to the gym, pools, etc.
The bathroom had no windows but plenty of light streamed in via an opaque skylight. That was a nice touch. The shower stall was an enclosed one, and poor ventilation was apparent for there were mildew stains in the grout on the shower ceiling and in other parts of the stall, including black mildew at the door latch. The rest of the bathroom was nice with the exception of a commercial-looking toilet that was adjacent to the door (vs. being placed back away from the door). The toilet placement = easy noise intrusion into the bedroom when being used = awkward!
The hotel hosts many private events and no wonder, the feel and look of the place gives off an aura of a time past, which is not easily achieved unless you have the structure to go with it. The views from the balconies are beautiful and the resident restaurant serves modern California cuisine.
Overall the Claremont is wonderful property. Head over there to be pampered!
- Also Known As:
- Claremont Hotel Club
- Claremont Hotel Club And Spa
- Claremont Hotel Club Berkeley
- Claremont Resort Berkeley
- Claremont Hotel Berkeley
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1915, the Claremont has pampered guests at the level expected of a AAA Four-Diamond award winning hotel. With stress melting spa treatments, a wide range of fitness options, special events, live music, and endless culinary delights, you’ll find the Claremont engaging - even if you choose to simply engage in quality time alone. We deliver attentive service with a gracious hospitality casual enough to make you feel right at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Loews Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Travelocity, Amex, Priceline, EasyToBook, Otel, Olotels and Tingo so you can book your Claremont Hotel Club & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.