“Spa-licious” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
San Francisco, California
“Spa-licious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

If you don't have time to read the details below, know this: Tiffany Flamer in the Spa is a first class.

For the last 15 years, off and on, at first as the guest of my mother or grandmother now with my own big girl coin in hand, I have gone to the Claremont Hotel for a variety of services, parties, retreats and the like. During this timespan there have been several changes most notably the 1. change from private to a series of hoteliers ( could go on about this) 2. the renovation of the spa (excellent work!) 3. Some room updates and finally the addition of Tiffany Flamer to the Spa staff.

In a time where spas and other "luxury" serves proliferate, one finds that it is service, the people hired, that really elevate or degrade the experience. By consistently matching me with not just a good time slot but the best technician for my needs, greeting me with a warm welcome and truly being concerned about my spa experience has turned me from reluctant person trying to make an unpleasant maintenance service as painless as possible into a regular Like I am practically a pampered lady! My gram would be ...relieved! My grandmother, my husband and I all thank you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
What a lovely story, thank you! The Spa at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa has been named among the 10 best spas of its kind in the country by Vogue, Elle, and Shape magazines and from your account, you agree! We’re so happy you enjoyed it as your recent visit reflects the type of experience we hope everyone will have when staying with us. Thank you so much for your feedback and hope you will return again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband & I have always wanted to stay here but living so close we never had and opportunity. We decided that since we were meeting on of our daughters who is going to school in SF for a concert in Oakland we could spend some extended family time and book two rooms. Before the concert we decided to hang out at the bar outside and enjoy the view of the bay. On a clear day, and it was, you can see the beautiful Golden Gate. That was probably the best as our service was slow and the lunch food was overpriced. After returning from our concert, we headed for the bar and some late night food. Unfortunately we were told the restaurant closed at 10pm and the bar had also ran out of bar munchies (olive, nuts etc). So we decided to grab drinks and head to our room for room service. Again we were told unfortunately room service stops at 11pm. Staff was friendly and hotel was beautiful, we just did not feel that all the "hype" we had heard about the hotel was worthy of our experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
While we are certainly pleased to know you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, we couldn't be more disappointed that your entire experience was not as positive. The views from our property are most certainly some of the best in Berkeley and we are glad to know you enjoyed them as well as our associated friendly service. We must ask, however, that you please accept our most sincere apologies that the hours of our dining options were of any inconvenience to you. It is our hope that we can have another opportunity to fully impress you with all we have to offer. Thank you for your feedback.
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After trying many hotels in the East Bay, we've chosen the Claremont as as our top choice. We first tried the hotel over a year ago when our son moved to the area, and experienced a minor issue with the front desk. Hotel management quickly responded to an email and the situation was remedied. The manager said to let him know when we were in town next, so we did, and to our surprise and delight, we were upgraded to a suite during this stay. This was my husband's first stay and he commented how the staff went out of their way to be helpful. The hotel decor is fitting the Grand Dame, albeit a bit dated (when refurbishing, they may want to follow the French model: the older the property, the more modern the interior). Bathrooms are well appointed and have good lighting for make-up which is always nice. All in all, a great stay - we'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We love to be your top choice in the East Bay! Thank you so much for sharing feedback of your recent stay at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Providing the very best in hospitality and service is of utmost importance and we will be sure to share your review with all of our associates as it sure to make their day. We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at the Claremont Hotel for business (at UC Berkeley) the other week - had an overall experience that exceeded the quality and hospitality I usually experience at Four Seasons, Mandarin, and Peninsula hotels. The room (suite) was large and comfortable and most importantly quiet with lots of room to spread out and work. The views are spectacular.

Having two restaurants to choose from, one very high quality and the other more spirited was a nice way to mix up dining by myself for a couple of days. Mostly ate at the Meritage bar where the bar tender, the bar manager, and restaurant manager all had the perfect hosting skills (e.g. when to come over and have a brief chat and when to leave me alone and let me get work or reading done). Food was consistently excellent, and a very creative drink list. What really made this hotel stand out was the staff, from a speedy check-in, to getting a car service in the morning, to small things I needed in the room, to ensuring I had a comfortable place to dine each evening.

The best illustration of a quality property is not just when things go right, but when they go wrong - in my case, the first room I checked into the heating system was broken. Within two minutes of calling to the front desk, a very friendly maintenance woman came to my room, quickly realized it was not going to be a quick fix, without me saying a word, she got my room switched (to a similar room) had the bellman come and move all my belongings and went ahead of me to the new room to make sure everything was perfect and to cap it off, the next day I got a call from the head of maintenance and the GM making sure everything was o.k... That's the hallmark of a well run property!

As with any good review, there always has to be a downside - here's my one and only: Plugs in the bedroom (for my phone and iPad) were inaccessible.

Was a great business stay, and by the looks of the spa, gym, and rest of the property would be an even better place to stay for leisure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
What a lovely and detailed review, thank you! Whether a stay is for business or pleasure, it is our greatest hope that all of our guests enjoy their time at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. As you mentioned, our restaurants offer two unique dining experiences from casual and relaxed to upscale and refined. Our associates love to provide the very best in service and it is great to know that you appreciated their quick response to the issues you experienced with your initial guestroom. We will be sure to share your kind words with everyone here. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again for another excellent stay and we hope that you have the opportunity to enjoy even more that we have to offer the next time!
Napa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions for work but this was the first time I went for pleasure and tried out the Paragon Bar and Grill for our anniversary. We walked in and asked for a table and the hostess told us to sit anywhere we liked so we picked out a nice table were we both could watch the sunset. We were immediately told bluntly that this area was closed until dinner at 5:30 for dinner. Not knowing what time it was we moved to another table where we were told the same thing by a different waiter but she realized it was 5:25PM and took our order. I thought this was being very petty so we ordered and waited a very long time for our dinner to arrive (I did notice a Chef talking in the bar for awhile after we had ordered) and the tacos I ordered were very small and not worth the $12 they cost considering it came with nothing else. My wife ordered a hamburger which was good but my tacos were not at all. Overall I love the hotel and the check in clerk and the perks but the Paragon left a bad taste (literally and figuratively) to the whole stay and we were made to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Patrick

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Whether a guest stays the night or visits to enjoy a meal at one of our restaurants, it is always our goal that everyone enjoys the best possible experience. While it is great to know you have appreciated staying with us for business, it is truly regrettable that your anniversary dining was not what we you had hoped for and we deeply apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. All of our associates desire to create a memorable experience for all and we are disappointed that was not the case for your most recent visit. Your comments will be shared with everyone here as we are continuously working to improve our guests’ experiences. Thank you for your comments.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I were here for a family event, and wanted to give my 89 year old father-in-law and his wife a special couple of days. The Claremont was the perfect choice. It is grand in the old style, but the friendly and attentive staff make it decidedly NOT stuffy. Starting with the friendly reception staffer, who pointed out that they had given my father-in-law a GREAT view room (and it was spectacular - he loved it!), the very helpful and patient porter (thanks Michael!), and the attentive service in the hotel restaurant Meritage that made our dinner there feel incredibly special (special thanks to the manager Frederic and his staff - had a nice chat with him before my father-in-law and his wife came down, and it was clear how focused they are on making guests happy), it was a wonderful treat for all. It was our first time at the Claremont - I doubt that it will be our last.

PRACTICAL TIPS: it is worth the extra dollars for a bay view room - the site and quality of the panoramic view is spectacular. Also, when getting here, my Google Maps got it wrong and did not account for the many blocked off and dead-end streets in Berkeley. I should have ignored my Google Maps and paid closer attention to the directions on the hotel web-site.

Room Tip: Go for the Bay view, even if it is a bit more. Last night our evening entertainment was watching the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We couldn't be more pleased that you had such a great experience enjoying such a truly special family getaway at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, thank you for sharing your story. Providing our guests with incomparable service is of utmost importance to us and we are so glad your stay was such a memorable time. From gorgeous views of San Francisco bay to spectacular dining, sometimes the culmination of all of the small touches make an experience that much more exceptional. We hope you will come visit us again soon!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a grand old hotel with a 40/50's feeling and decor. It is a large hotel and is a popular conference facility so it can be crowded. The rooms are comfortable but could do with a bit of modernising. The spa and sport facilities are really good with really helpful staff and coaches.

The hotel is NOT close to any shops other than some local cafes. Without a car you really are stuck and if you need a cab to the airport insist on a metered cab which is a lot cheaper than the limo service used by the hotel. $70 versus $108.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room so you can enjoy the view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Our historic hotel is unique in that no two guestrooms are exactly the same with all of the exclusive charm you can expect from, as you called it, a grand old property. We are thrilled you enjoyed use of our Spa and Club, both offering so much from the very best in relaxing spa treatments and therapies to fun group fitness classes and more. Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

Been to Claremont Hotel Club & Spa? Share your experiences!