“Old-school elegance in Berkeley, but mind the fine print” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Beat the Heat Summer Pkg
Ranked #2 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
Santa Monica, California
“Old-school elegance in Berkeley, but mind the fine print”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you are staying in Berkeley to visit family or friends, or looking for an alternative to insane prices for high-end accommodations in San Francisco, this may just be the place for you. I visited the Claremont during Christmas week, 2012, and could not have been happier with how comfortable and lovely this property was. Be aware that the published AAA rate may look cheaper than the "friends and family" rate, but for the published rates, resort fees and parking add $50 per day to your tab. I feel that I was somewhat led astray by the reservations clerk who helped me, as I was told that the AAA rate was lower. That might have been technically true, but the clerk did not tell me that the friends and family rate was "inclusive." Having said that, I thought that the hotel was lovely and will most definitely return, possibly in the summer. The hotel is convenient to BART, so you can be in the heart of San Francisco in a short time and not have to deal with parking/driving. The hotel is spotlessly clean, and there is a nice restaurant/bar that has music at night. There is a great breakfast place across the street (Rick & Ann's). All in all, a great place to call "home base" while in the Bay Area.

Room Tip: I stayed in an allergy-free room and had a great night's sleep, but if you want a tub, be sure t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
It is such a pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with us at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Built in the early days of the Gold Rush, our hotel truly does offer a timeless elegance and we are so glad to know you enjoyed your stay and, as you put it, home base accommodations! Each of our guestrooms is unique with different décor and amenities for our guests’ comfort. We must apologize, however, if you were in anyway confused by any of our fees, as it is never our intent for our guests to feel mislead. Our resort fee enables guests to enjoy a wide range of incredible amenities and activities such as complimentary Internet, 3-hours of childcare, access to our pools, tennis courts and countless health club and spa choices and more. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it is our hope to welcome you back again and fully impress you with all we have to offer.

782 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Pacifica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We live in Pacifica, yet rarely travel to the East Bay. However, it is well worth it for the chance to stay at this lovely hotel with an interesting and rich history that is so close to us. Yet, staying there puts you into an entirely other world of luxury. Agnes Ruggerio and her thoughtful staff were especially attentive to our needs... From the well furbished rooms we had lovely views on the bay. Arriving at the moment of sunset, we marveled as the sky was transformed to hues of pink and gold, outlining the San Francisco skyline and the twinkling lights of the city scintillating in the distance. The food was excellent at the Meritage and their offering of both small and large plates for dinner allows the diner flexibility in choosing among excellent ingredients tastefully presented. The sumptuous Sunday brunch featured an array of foods from delectable dim sum to succulent salads to decadent desserts. The pools and the spa were wonderful, providing a respite of relaxation.
We intend to make this holiday weekend outing a family tradition!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Building new family holiday traditions that include a stay with us is one of the best compliments we could receive! Thank you for sharing your appreciation for our historic hotel in Berkeley. It can be such a treat to experience a fantastic getaway close to home and we are honored you consider The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa to be, as you put it, a treasure. You have painted such a lovely picture of the sunset views as well as your spectacular dining experiences for both dinner and brunch. We look forward to seeing you and your family again, thank you for your review.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed more than once at this hotel and I enjoy my stay every time. Our stay is made memorable by the quality of service the staff provides. We've been fortunate enough to have been checked in by Agnes at the front desk who is a friendly and professional. She is class A staff at this hotel. I can't stress enough the impact that first impressions have when you are greeted by the valet and/or the front desk. It starts your trip on the right path. I have to give Ryan (valet) some recognition since he was very courteous and attentive with us. As for the quality of the rooms, they are nice and quaint and clean. We truly enjoyed our stay. It was perfect coming back into Berkeley from San Francisco on long days.

The only negative I have is their room service and hopefully that gets resolved. Nonetheless, I really like this hotel for its location, amenities, and most importantly its service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We are thrilled to read your comments and truly grateful that you took the time to let us know about your recent experience at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. First impressions certainly are important! Our associates strive to ensure that each and every one of our guests enjoys a memorable stay and learning that you appreciate that dedication lets us know that we have succeeded in our efforts. While it isn’t clear from your review as to any issues you experienced with room service, we apologize if you were inconvenienced in anyway and would be happy to help however we can. We look forward to greeting you again in the future, thank you for your kind review.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've read a lot of reviews stating that this property is "old", "homey" and "showing its age", but in my experience this hotel is just fine. We arrived around noon on a Friday for a 2 night stay and were allowed to check in immediately. Our room was one of the Spa Elites on the bottom floor (near the spa, of course). It was well appointed and very roomy. I can't speak for the other room types, but according to the fire exit map on the door, most of the Spa Elite rooms are the same size and configuration. There were separate bathtub and shower areas. We had a double sink, which is always nice. There was a small refrigerator and the requisite overpriced mini bar treats. The windows were double-pane insulated so we could not hear any traffic sounds despite being adjacent to the parking lot. The TV was grainy, but like I always say, I don't travel to watch TV. Because the spa is on the bottom floor, the view of the bay was partial, but acceptable. For great views, I suggest a window at Paragon or Meritage. The bed was very comfortable and the curtains blocked almost all of the sunlight in the morning, which is nice if you like to sleep in.

We walked through the gym/club, but didn't use any of the facilities or equipment (it was cold and overcast). I think the average age of the people in the exercise room was probably about 50. Club Med this is not.

We ate at both Paragon and Meritage. Both had excellent service and pricey, but good food. Once during lunch we were accidentally given the dinner menu and when we ordered off of it, the kitchen specially prepared it for us (everything must be cooked to order).

The location is not that walkable so we ended up using our car and BART a fair amount. The concierge was helpful in directing our travel around the bay area. We had valet parking, which was great because it looked as if the regular parking lots filled up during peak hours. Almost every night there was an event (weddings, holiday balls, etc.) and one of the days there was a UC Berkeley football recruiting event.

My significant other went to the spa. She had a good time. The prices are on par with other upscale spas.

I heard that this property is up for sale. Hopefully not much changes. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing such a detailed account of your stay with us at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. All of our guestrooms provide everything you will need for a comfortable and relaxing stay and we are so glad you found your stay in our Spa Elite to be so enjoyable. The beautiful bay views from both of our restaurants cannot be rivaled and our associates love to provide the very best in service. Next time you visit, we hope you have the opportunity to take advantage of our club and spa services! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Vallejo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We went there for my Birthday because it was close to home and we had a really good deal from AAA. We had a corner room with a view of San Francisco and south, the SF Bay, Bay Bridge and points west. The night was clear and SF glittered like a hugh diamond necklace. Dinner was at the Meritage. The food was outstanding. Great wines, good service and a lovely time. Just a short trip and so far away at the same time. The hotel is old, grand, and massive. Lots of things to do. The room deal included 'Club & Spa' perks, but we didn't do those. The brochure shows great pools, but it was 30 ish. A tad cold for laps. I would like to go back in Spring or fall and try out the spa and pool. A place to go back to.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have lovely views. The corner rooms are larger and have three large windows a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Happy Birthday! What a lovely way to celebrate your special day and what a beautiful picture you have painted with your description of your visit. From your guestroom with scenic views to your dining experience at the Meritage, it seems you enjoyed so much of your stay and for that we are truly grateful. We hope you do have the chance to come back again soon and try more of what we have to offer as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again to The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Thank you.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I escaped to the Claremont midway through the New York storm and was delighted by my warm, caring reception and care, especially from the front manager, Shabnam Vakil. The hospitality and care continued throughout my stay; everyone was sensitive to my traumatized state and did their best to smooth my way. The restaurants and room service met my restricted dietary needs, and I felt as though Shabnam watched over me as a benevolent presence.
I have been here before, always liked it, and now love it and am grateful for its beauty and ambiance which helped me to heal. Even the assistants in the locker room and the waiters at the pool recognized me and made me feel at home and welcome. What more could I ask?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
What a lovely story you have shared with us, thank you! We are honored to be your home away from home and are so pleased to know that everyone here was able to help provide a sense of peace during such a trying time. It is always our highest priority to ensure that our guests have the best possible experience and it is a thrill to know that we achieved that with you. Your gracious comments will be shared with all of our associates. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again to The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa.
LAS VEGAS, NEVAADA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Old, smelly, dirty. Room services Dishes have been in the hall way since I checked in, 12 hours ago. I'm not cheap, but this place is way over priced. Took 30 minutes to get service at my table last night.

Great views, security lets only guest on the property, kinda like a barricade out post type thing. I don't know what the rating is on this Hotel, I made a mistake not looking.

Nice wine selection

Hope the management reads this..room 316. I was told it has Marriott connections and could use my Marriott card for points, that was a lie.

Staff was pleasant.

Oh well, live and learn.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Claremont Hotel Club & Spa? Share your experiences!