“James Mays made our stay fabulous!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Spring Fling Room Package
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Oakland, California
“James Mays made our stay fabulous!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My friend and I checked in for our girlfriend getaway package stay at the Claremont in Berkeley and were so blessed to have James Mays as our contact. His warmth and smile were genuine and infectious as was his determination to make our stay wonderful!! We were celebrating our birthdays which are both in September and he took it upon himself to gift us with a few surprises. First he upgraded our room to one with a beautiful view and then the real stunner......he had delivered up to our room two molten chocolate cakes with raspberries and ice cream. On the edge of the plate written in chocolate was "happy birthday" !!! We were in disbelief that he would go out of his way to arrange these surprises for us. What an angel this guy is....the Claremont is so lucky to have such a thoughtful and kind person working for them!! He really made our trip so much more special and we are grateful for him!!! Thank you James ......you rate a perfect 10 in our book!!! Kate and Pam

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
On behalf of everyone here, Happy Birthday! What a fantastic way to share a celebratory weekend with your friend. There is no greater pleasure than to hear from one of our guests and learn how much they enjoyed their stay. Our associates truly love what they do and it is always our hope that all of our guests enjoy such a positive experience. Thank you for providing such a lovely review of The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa from 09/21 to 09/23/2012 and the service and staff were fabulous. The room was spectacular and the food at the restaurants was great. The view from the hotel is spectacular! The pools & spa facilities are marvelous! I will definitely be staying at the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa the next time I am in Berkeley.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for providing such a glowing review of The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa! We are truly touched to know that you were left with such a positive impression of everything from our service, accommodations and amenities all the way to the beautiful views from our property. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a reservation for a wedding in Berkeley. We showed up after landing in SFO at 9PM. The room we were given smelled like bug spray. We ask for a King with a view. We got a twin with no view and "eau de bug spray". We ask for another room. Steerage on the Titanic. No bug spray but a 1970's era heating air conditioning unit that sounded like a pickup truck full of beer cans. We left. I can not recommend the Claremont Hotel. I can recommend the Fairmont in SF where we finally ended up.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We couldn't be more disappointed by your review nor is it the type of experience that we would hope for any of our guests. It is truly regrettable that we were not able to provide you with accommodations more to your liking and apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. Thank you for your feedback.
LA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed in this hotel a number of years ago for one night and remembered that I didn't like it but could not remember why. So as soon as I checked in and got to my room, the memories returned.

This hotel reminds me of those turn of the century (the 20th century) French Riviera hotels that have a nostalgic, easy going, old school luxury feel to it. Located on top of a hill and dominating the landscape, it promised just that. So from the outside and in the lobby, the hotel lives up to the expectation. But as soon as you go up in the elevator and step out, the interior changes to a sad, tired look. The hallways are not ventilated enough and have a lingering smell of old and wet. As you walk into a room, the scene becomes even more depressing (and the smell continues to linger). The rooms are fairly large with a very small window for the room size, the furniture seems small and disjointed - there is no harmony to it and the overall look is spartan. This hotel is described as luxury on its website and I honestly did not see anything luxurious about it. My room was a standard one in the middle of a (very) long hallway. The TV could have been larger and the bed was not overly comfortable. A few standard amenities in the bathroom, the sink water takes a while to warm up that I felt guilty about wasting so much water while waiting (the shower was OK). There was no bath tub, only shower. The A/C was very loud and I was happy that the night was cool so it only got turned on a few times, otherwise, it would have been difficult to sleep. The room was clean but not overly clean. I had no sense of freshness, only that it would be OK for one night. When I spoke to a colleague about it the next day, she said that she had heard that you have to ask for a room in the "new" wing and that they were truly nice. However, she did not know this from a personal experience, so I don't know if it's true. What I do know is that I asked for a room with a view and did not get it (my room was looking over a parking lot) and I asked for a room on a higher floor and did not get it (my room was on the 1st floor, which was sort of like the second floor) and nobody was apologetic about it.

I ended up having a quick dinner in one of the two restaurants, Paragon. The other, more upscale restaurant is closed on Mondays (the day I was there). Paragon was OK - nice cocktail (Jamaican old fashioned with rum instead of bourbon - yummy!) and tasteful food. The seating area is not impressive at all - it seems to be just as unimaginative and utilitarian as the rooms. There is some seating available on the balcony and it seemed to be if not nicer, at least sort of matching the decor of the hotel, but it was too cold to sit there.

The staff was nice and concierge very helpful with restaurant tips (I first contemplated about going out for dinner, but decided against it because it would have been quite a walk up the hill on the way back and the restaurants are too close to take a cab - at least in my estimation).

Anyway, I do not plan on staying at Claremont again, hope this time I will remember why.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, General Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
We couldn't be more disappointed to learn that your stay was not positive in every way, however we do appreciate your candor. Our historic property dates back to the early days of the Gold Rush with no two rooms exactly the same, and often as unique as each guest who walks through our doors. While we are glad to know you found our associates to be so nice and helpful, we regret that you did not find your accommodations more to your liking, as it is our hope to provide an excellent stay for everyone. Thank you for providing your feedback.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

What an amazing hotel. I have never experienced service like this. Whether, I needed help with finding a restaurant, borrowing an iPhone charger or help booking a spa treatment Sandie and the other concierges were there to help and make sure it happened. I have never felt like such a VIP. For a fun, romantic, relaxing stay, with a staff who has your back and wants you to have a good time, check out the Claremont Hotel and Spa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
All of our guests are VIPs to us! Providing warm, welcoming assistance is one of our biggest priorities and we couldn't be happier to learn that you found just that when calling upon our Concierge. Our associates will love to know they helped to create such a positive stay and we will be sure to share your feedback with everyone here. Thank you for your fantastic review of The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, we hope to see you again soon!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We got married at the Dunsmuir House in Oakland, spent our wedding night at the Claremont, and had our families meet us for their champagne brunch on Sunday. We live in the area and have used various facilities over the years, but for our 29th anniversary we returned for the weekend, and re-captured some of the magic and romance. I think the hotel has done a great job of maintaining the old fashioned charm while updating the amenities. Our room was very large, staff was welcoming and helpful (altho' the front desk staff is not as familiar as they might be w/the various travel deals offered), the spa is lovely (altho' pricey, you do get to use the rest of the facilities all day), and the brunch is a good deal for the quality of the food and the bottomless mimosas/sparkling. The 29th anniversary dessert plate was a sweet touch. Hopefully, we will be back before our 50th!

Room Tip: Go for a view, if possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy 29th Anniversary! What could be a more romantic way to celebrate your special occasion than with your visit to the place where it all began? We couldn't be happier to be part of your celebration and are thrilled with your kind words for our historic accommodations. Thank you for mentioning your appreciation for our Spa, which offers a wide array of pampering massages, facials and body treatments to choose from as well as your enjoyment of our delicious brunch. It would be our honor to welcome you back again to The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I booked the Claremont Resort for a conference this past week and while I tend to stay at more modern hotels, I was looking forward to seeing what old classic charm this hotel had. Unfortunately, it was more "old" and less "classic charm."

I wanted to check in early (say 12pm) and they told me to call the morning of. When I did, they said to check back at 10AM. So I did, then they told me to check back in at 12PM. Then they told me to check back in at 1PM when they finally found a room for me. I was obviously thankful for the accommodation, but the communication was less than I'd expect from a hotel of this reputation. I understand if their outdated reservation management system may not be real time, but couldn't they just have told me to check at 1pm?

When arriving, you should know that navigating the parking lot is like finding your way through a maze. I suppose the hilly terrain doesn't lend itself to a well thought out parking lot, but finding a spot was a hassle. While I could have used the valet service (same price as self-parking), I needed to go back and forth to get things from my car so didn't want it parked somewhere too far. I got lucky when someone was leaving, but otherwise, the lot was completely full and even saw some cars double-parked.

The rooms are "vintage" to put it nicely. I'm surprised the doors locked with plastic keycards instead of actual metal keys. My king bed was fine, but the AC unit was quite loud turning on and off so sleeping wasn't great. Also, the walls/doors let in a lot of hallway noise (again, likely due to the age). I didn't mind but the view I had was of the back parking lot with the garbage dumpster. If views are important to you, there's a HUGE difference between my view and the "SF Bay View" so make sure to book accordingly.

I ordered room service around 9PM and it came quite promptly. The cheeseburger (w/ garlic fries) and an order of milk, set me back about $30. I wouldn't mind if it was a great burger, but it wasn't. Perhaps I'm spoiled by staying at Starwood properties (W Hotel, Westin, Sheraton), but I found the food at Claremont to be lacking, especially when the SF Bay area is so well known for high quality food.

As my conference was ending at 5pm, I inquired about late checkout. They gave me 12:30PM, which I begrudgingly took. As a Hyatt Platinum and Starwood Gold member, I get 4PM at most of their properties. Again, perhaps it's my own issue of being spoiled, but I think I'm better off staying where I have preferred elite status.

On a positive note, they do offer a lot of amenities, including swimming pool, a large modern gym, and 3 hrs of child care. The classic look is appealing for people who prefer that aesthetic and I'm sure it makes a great background for wedding photos.

Room Tip: If views are important, make sure to book the nicer view rooms. They won't upgrade you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed account of your stay. It is certainly regrettable when a guests' visit is not all that they hoped it would be and we can understand how frustrating it can be when expectations are not met. We do urge all of our guests to let us know if there is anything amiss and we apologize if we were not able to create a better experience for you while you were here, when it would have mattered the most. Your feedback is appreciated.

Been to Claremont Hotel Club & Spa? Share your experiences!