“Made good use of the Club” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Beat the Heat Summer Pkg
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Pasadena, California
“Made good use of the Club”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Traveled to San Francisco from LA during Fathers Day weekend. Usually, a trip to San Francisco meant staying at a hotel by the Embarcadero, but after our last unfortunate hotel experience there, we decided to expand our search and looked at staying East of the city, as driving was not going to be an issue. I found a deal on Groupon and was very pleased to find a resort hotel for half the price of stay at a Holiday Inn or Best Western in the city itself. I always worry when hotels advertise themselves as "resorts"-- that all they have may just be a pool, and now they have an excuse to tack on a "Resort Fee". We didn't have much of an itinerary, so majority of the weekend was really just going to be spent lounging around the hotel (and therefore it had to be good). So fingers crossed, I went and booked our stay. We upgraded the room to a Spa Room.

My husband arrived at the hotel a day before, I and our baby flew in the next day. He calls me at work to rave "the place is awesome!" as he is on his way to spin class. The place indeed was awesome. The Spa Room was very spacious, came with a king bed and had a sitting area with a couch that converts to a bed too. The bathrooms were clean and spacious. Because we had a baby with us, I noticed that areas under tables and by appliances were dusty (the things you see when you have to get down on the floor). I guess either they are not very meticulous with cleaning, or their big vacuum cleaners just cant squeeze into those spaces. Overall the room was clean, sheets looked and smelled fresh.

Our rooms were right on the Spa floor, so we got in our bathrobes and walked a few steps to the spa to get our hydrotherapy sessions. I have to say the hydrotherapy area is gorgeous-- think jacuzzis and jet tubs with views of the Golden Gate Bridge, and showers of every kind. The Spa floor also had convenient access to the back parking lot, the tennis courts, the swimming pool and the Club. As Hotel guests, we had access to their members-only health club and pools. My husband was ecstatic over the spin classes, he made me bring his bike shorts and shoes in (see, I told his there were spin classes, but he didnt think he'd go). I went to the Pilates classes-- the instructors were so good, I felt taller and leaner after each class. As for the pool area, all I can speak of is the kiddie pool :)

We had drinks at the Paragon two nights in a row. Their bar food is yummy. There was a jazz band playing on Saturday night. We tried the Sunday brunch at the Meritage, and that was exceptional. It was mildly irritating that we asked at the front desk about it, and they totally gave us incorrect information about the price, then called the restaurant and was told it was fully booked for the 11AM slot, recommended we go to a different hotel brunch. After calling other hotels, I called the restaurant again and asked "Do you have openings for any other time in the day?" and that's when they said "you can come in at 2PM!". Sigh, I wish they had just offered that when I called in the first place... save me the stress and the runaround (hence the low grade for service). There was a carving stations, loads and loads of crab legs, overflowing champagne, ample hot and cold food selection, an awesome dessert bar. We met up with friends and their daughter said "Can we stay here too?!"

So what else can I say? It was a very relaxing and refreshing weekend at a beautiful hotel/resort. The Club & Spa really made the difference. Without the Groupon, I would not have thought to check this place out, too intimidated by the cost. I am so glad I did (giving myself pats on the back for a great find). Still giving them 5 stars because overall loved the place, the good outweighed the bad. Would definitely come back, even if I had to pay full price :)

Room Tip: Spa room for easier access to the parking lot and the swimming pools (and the Spa), and if you dont...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Relaxing and refreshing are two of our favorite words and we couldn't be happier than to read a review such as yours. Thank you for providing such detail about your stay at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. We are thrilled to know you and your husband were able to appreciate much of what our Spa and Club facilities have to offer! Spin classes and Pilates both sound like the perfect way to work on your fitness. We do have to apologize however, for any confusion regarding the available reservation time for Sunday brunch or any issues you may have noticed in your guestroom and are glad that it did not impact your experience too greatly. We will share your comments with our associates. Everyone at will be anxiously awaiting your return, as it will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have not stayed at the Claremont for about 3 years and man does she look better than ever.

The rooms are all freshly decorated and mine was impeccably clean and amazingly comfortable. Hallways and public space all look fresh and is done to compliment the 100 years this resort has been in operation. The sense of arrival was the biggest service improvement and that hit me as soon as I drove up! WOW! Bell service was anticipatory and teh reception desk was spot on!

The view from my room was spectacular - I ate in because of it!

Room Tip: My room 504 had to be one of their best - and the view was over the top. Had my wife been with me I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, General Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Welcome back to The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, it is truly a delight to know that you enjoyed your stay so much. Our property has quite a rich history and we do all we can to continue to honor it, from our decor to our service. The bay area is certainly beautiful and we are glad you appreciated the view. Thank you for providing details regarding your stay, we hope you will come back again for another visit soon.
Hickory Creek, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

When you stay at certain places you expect to get what you pay for. I was expecting a certain level of service and did not receive it. From the waiter at the Paragon that was unapologetic for his mistake, to the female manager on duty who did admit knowing about the issue but made no attempt to come and address it with me, instead I had to bring the issue to her and I had to come up with an acceptable resolution. If I wanted to be the manager and do her job I would have applied for it. Then there is the uncaring "executive offices" that you can get to on the phone but are always in "meetings" and you can leave a message on a voice mail that apparently goes nowhere. Of course I'm sure Mr.Carlton or Mr. Primm as they are the two that will most likely respond to this will blah blah blah about their hotel, the fact is even Mr. Primm's email is on the contact us page of their web site and that will not even be answered. The restaurant issue was one of three distinct problems with the hotel, rude people working on site, and lack of security to peoples credit card info as my card was charged for a room I was not even present for, signed for or authorized in any way are two others. No wonder they had filed for bankruptcy a year ago!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback, it is truly disappointing to learn that you were unhappy with any other part of your stay. Providing excellent service is the single most important priority for all of our associates so we are certainly troubled by the details you have provided regarding your experience. We will share your comments with management as we hope to get to the bottom of your issues and resolve anything that may be outstanding as soon as possible. We are continuously working to improve our guests' experience and to provide the best services to all. Thank you.
San Carlos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed here in mid-August for work in the area. What a poor choice that was. The building itself is lovely and the common areas were great. My room left a lot to be desired. The first thing I noticed when I got to my room was that the bathroom needed a good scouring. Granted, this is an old hotel but it had definitely been remodeled back in the 80s is my guess as there needed to be some serious updating.

The room itself was spacious but it wasn't set up to do much work at a desk. The room I was an adjoining room and it wasn't well sound proofed between the two. I could literally hear the guy in the next room open a can of soda. I could hear the shower clearly and the conversations he had as well as the cologne he was wearing (I'm not joking). For the price I couldn't believe this. I was seriously considering checking out and going to any other hotel because of that.

The other crazy bit to this hotel is that they charge you $24 per day for a "resort" fee. Well, I booked through work so I wasn't aware of this but I paid it anyway (was there really a choice?). I don't know what you actually get for $24 a day because it definitely doesn't have a resort vibe. The other thing that got to me was the $24/day parking. You have no choice but to pay it if you have a car because there are no businesses around the hotel or areas to park.

Needless to say I was not impressed and the front desk clerk didn't seem to care how my experience was when I left. So, I won't be back.

Room Tip: If you do stay make sure not to get an adjoining room because there is no sound proofing.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Whether staying for business or pleasure, we hope that all of our guests have an excellent stay. With that, we are terribly disappointed to learn that your accommodations were not up to your expectations and if any noise from neighboring guests disrupted your stay. All of our fees are outline on our website and detailed in the booking process but I apologize if there was any lack of clarity. We do have several packages that include facility and parking charges along with a great rate and the details can be found on our website. As part of the resort amenities that we offer include 3 pools, tennis courts, Mind & Body Center, fitness center, yoga studio, Spa and a Kid's Club day camp. We appreciate your input.
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Can't vouch for all rooms but ask for 409 if you can get it. Awesome floor to ceiling view of SF, Oakland, the Bay, Alcatraz, Golden Gate + huge room with sitting area. Hotel is full of interesting detail--architecture, pictures, furnishings. Restaurants are excellent. All in all, just a very pleasant 3 day stay.

Room Tip: I'd pay the extra for bay view rooms, rooms on back side of hotel appear to have no view at all.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your story with us, we are so happy to know that the time you spent at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa was such a positive experience. Located in the hills above the San Francisco Bay, our accommodations certainly provide amazing views. Each guestroom in our historic hotel is completely different and offers its own unique decor - a little something for every taste! Thank you for sharing your appreciation of our location, we hope to welcome you back again.
Mukilteo WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The hotel is truly a 5 star experience. My husband and I loved the pool, the room, the restaurants and the concierge was so super! Told us great places to visit. We went to Saulito and ate lunch at Scomas which she recommended. The food was excellent and sitting at the next table was Carlos Santana. What a great day we had.

Donna and Bill

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
We have the best guests! Our staff loves what they do and I will be sure to share your feedback with everyone here. Berkeley is surrounded by so many great places to visit as well as amazing dining and we are thrilled you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, we all hope to welcome you again.
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We went back to the 'Grand Dame' Claremont after our first stay 25 years ago. Nothing has changed in terms of top-notch service, beautiful public areas and facilities. The concierge was super-helpful, the bartenders friendly and the place mostly well maintained in spite of its age. Loved the black and white photos of famous guests of decades ago. More recently, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie visited with their six children. Beautiful art throughout. The only shortcoming was the lack of a hospitality fridge in our room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The Claremont Club & Spa has a rich history that dates back to the early days of the gold rush, which certainly lends to a charm that can’t be found in many other hotels. Thank you for sharing your feedback, it is an honor to know you first enjoyed staying here 25 years ago as well as now. Providing excellent service has always been of utmost importance and I am thrilled to read that everyone was so helpful and friendly. Refrigerators are available in all guest rooms upon request. If there is anything that we can do to make your stay more comfortable, our associates are always available. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

Been to Claremont Hotel Club & Spa? Share your experiences!