“Perfect location to tour Cal” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Better to Book Direct
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
“Perfect location to tour Cal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I had not stepped foot in this hotel for 25 years and was pleasantly surprised. The lobby was chicly decorated. The staff was pleasant. Rooms clean. Bed comfy. Hotel is one block from campus, so very convenient.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

In May I received an invitation to a July wedding with rooms "reserved at a special rate" at the Durant. I called immediately but was told those rooms were sold out. They described a specific "Premier" corner room on the Executive floor at a higher price which I reserved. I was unsure if I would have a car and was told I could add valet parking anytime later for $30/day. They were unable to send a confirmation that actually showed this room as reserved for me. I called several weeks ahead to add the valet parking and was told that that was not possible, I needed a different "package".which i had to do to get parking. They could not manage to send a confirmation showing valet parking was now included. A few days before they sent me an e-mail stating that I could not have the promised room. A further e-mail included the first mention that they do not have A/C. With each complication there was an e-mail exchange and multiple phone calls. The staff was very ornery, unfriendly, and unhelpful. I cancelled and stayed at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza instead. We enjoyed it very much.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Can't say more than we loved our stay at this lovely hotel. Rooms were charming, staff friendly and helpful and location perfect. We were on our way back home and thought it would be nice to stop and visit Berkeley. ( I went to school there more years ago than I care to remember. While the hotel was clearly renovated, it nonetheless kept its old charm. I was taken by the friendiness of all staff who went out of their ways to make sure our stay was pleasant. I would definitely reccomend to friends and return for a stay even though I live only an hour away.

Room Tip: Website is not wildly descriptive so a call to the hotel for a description migh help.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was my second 4-day stay. The hotel is conveniently located right near Berkeley university within a 15 to 20 min walk from a BART station (metro) which takes you to San Francisco.
Nice safe neighborhood.
The hotel has an easy going atmosphere, informal yet helpful. Rooms are nice and clean. No A/C - which is fine except we had a room in the back and as we kept the window open during the night for ventilation we were awoken really early by the loud garbage trucks. Not a plus if you like to sleep in.
Otherwise nice hotel.
You can skip Henry's - the bar and restaurant on the ground floor. The ambience is not inviting, the beautiful bay windows dirty and the prices high. There are plenty of coffee shops etc. on Bancroft and Durant Ave. The BART station is on Shattock Ave, an easy walk, and you'll pass a bookstore and plenty of coffee shops. Generous family policy. Pets allowed. Because of its great location and friendly atmosphere I'll stay there again when I'm in the Bay Area.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, ask not to be put in the back because the garbage pick up is really early and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great location across the street from UC Berkeley and right near restaurants and local shopping. Super easy access to campus. The front desk staff went out of their way to explain the neighborhood and how to get around, and one of them actually gave me his own BART (subway) card out of this own pocket to get me started. My room was very comfortable with a stocked mini-bar and snacks, internet, and tv, etc...

Room Tip: I imagine some rooms on the the lower floors could be noisy as the hotel sits right on a busy street...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Hotel Durant is a nicely appointed hotel convenient to UC Berkeley. We were looking forward to our stay there, however we were sorely disappointed from the moment we arrived. The woman at the front desk was curt and brusque. When we made the reservation, we were told we would have rooms with a/c. When we arrived, we were told that none of the rooms have a/c. Not only were our concerns pushed aside, we were given rooms on the top floor during a hot spell in Berkeley. The rooms were unbearably hot even with the windows open. We were also told that they would find us a milk alternative for the guest lounge (we have a family member with a dairy allergy who could not eat their breakfasts). None arrived, despite repeated requests. After these two incidents we decided we would be better off in another hotel and checked into the Hotel Shattuck for the remainder of our stay. We had a great stay there!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great historic hotel, nice rooms, Ryan, the Valet was a delight,.however..the desk clerk, "Katherine",was extremely rude, the worst hotel employee I have ever encountered in my life. She has no business in the hospitality biz. As other reviewer's have stated, there is quite a bit of noise outside due to location and ongoing construction in the neighborhood, but that really didn't bother me.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Hotel Durant? Share your experiences!