“Great hotel, but....the noise! :(” 4 of 5 stars

BOOK DIRECT 15% OFF
Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia
“Great hotel, but....the noise! :(”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I liked staying at the Hotel Durant.
The hotel itself is very nice and well kept. Everybody working there, from the reception staff to the housekeepers, was nice, friendly and helpful. My room was spacious, clean, comfortable. The location was convenient (just a few steps from campus). The internet was free and had a strong signal. I also liked the cute recycling bin in the room.
However, as many people have already noticed here, the problem is the noise, both the street and the other travelers' noise.
On my first night there, though exhausted (I had arrived late at night from the East coast) I could not fall asleep due to some LOUD party going on in one of the fraternity houses nearby (they're just across the street from the hotel). Luckily, there were no other parties during my stay there, but, on the other hand, I could hear distinctively what the people in the rooms next door were saying, word by word, almost as if they were in my room.
I mentioned this at the reception person when I checked out and was told that next year they plan to re-do the insulation to address this issue. Let's hope so, since it's really a pity that bad noise insulation should ruin the experience of this nice hotel.
About the street noise....well, there's nothing they can do, really. University towns are always noisy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We lucked out at the last minute with a $189/night stay at the Durant. Although renovated, it maintains its charm, especially in the lobby and the very spacious rooms. Note there is not yet A/C - they say they plan to add that in a year or so, but we found it completely unnecessary. The room was huge, great mattress and bedding, an overhead fan, and the decorating is in keeping with Berkeley's biggest claims to fame. The reception staff advised us that their par.king lot ($30/night) was full but told us where street parking might be had for $1 on the street! It worked beautifully and the hotel is well situated so we could tour Berkeley on foot. The in-house bar and restaurant was good too and we will do a separate review on that

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Let me count the ways...

Our family spends a fair amount of time in the East Bay, and we've stayed at a number of hotels in the vicinity. We spent a long time looking for one that was the perfect fit for us, and we finally found it -- the Hotel Durant in Berkeley.

The hotel is a historic property, built more than 80 years ago. It was renovated in 2008 and was the first boutique hotel in Berkeley to be green-certified.

First, the location: ideal for anyone visiting Berkeley. The hotel is a stone's throw from campus, and just one block up from Telegraph Avenue. It's within easy walking distance of restaurants, movie theaters, bookstores, drugstores, and more. We visited in early June, and the area was very quiet. I imagine the timing made a bit of difference here.

The hotel itself is chic, welcoming and well-appointed. Renovations were clearly done with care and respect, preserving many features of the beautiful old building. Our room was on the fifth floor and had a commanding view of the Berkeley clock tower. Amenities included high-quality bedding and iPhone/iPod docking stations, which my husband appreciated.

I guess I'll need to fess up to a couple of potential demerits. One is the parking situation. Unless you valet park (it was full when we arrived), parking in the area can be a bit of a challenge. I used to live in San Francisco, however, so I'm used to that. Berkeley is a dense urban environment, after all.

Second, a few reviewers have commented on the size of the accommodations. It's true that the room and bathroom were a bit more cozy than some. But hey, it's an older building, so that's to be expected in this case. For us, the beautiful decor more than made up for any issues we might have had about the room size.

In short, we had an absolutely fantastic stay, and will definitely return to the Hotel Durant on our next visit to the area. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, facing the Berkeley campus -- we had a nice view of the Berkeley clo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ra'anana, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great location for visiting Berkeley but also a substantially less expensive alternative to staying in downtown San Francisco, which was my case. The downtown Berkeley BART station is 15-20 minutes walk or 5 minutes on a frequent bus. Door to door from hotel to SF building is a 40-50 minute commute.

Pros:
Location adjacent to campus, Telegraph St. and not far from central Berkeley. Very lively area.
Clean.
Comfortable.

Cons:
Bad noise insulation from adjoining rooms and floor above - seems like quite an old building.
Can be noisy outside too sometimes.
Service is not too good:
- I was not notified of packages delivered.
- You are charged for printing a page on the computer in the lobby. Seriously. You are also charged for using the computer for more than 15 minutes per day.

Note: being green, the rooms have no air conditioning . They have a ceiling fan and a floor fan. This is no problem given the climate (I was there in summer) but might be a problem on exceptionally hot days.

Room Tip: Lower rooms might be more noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SF Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed for one night and received a complementary upgrade because we were staying only one night. We were on the 6th floor that had a nice view of campus, but unfortunately, it was pretty noisy because of street noise. I couldn't imagine staying here when college is in full swing because it's right next to frat/sorority houses. I can't fault the hotel on the outside noise because there's really nothing you can do about it.

The room was pretty warm and leaving the window open at night was problematic because of the street noise. The ceiling fan did help, but it still was very stuffy in the room.

The continental breakfast was ok, there were no plates or bowls for fruit or oatmeal. I guess they don't refill the breakfast stuff after 8 a.m.

The good stuff: the room was very clean, the bed & pillows were comfortable & the staff was very friendly & helpful.

I think we would stay there again, but request a room away from the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street to hopefully dampen the noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Hotel Durant has a wonderful staff and the building and rooms have been redone beautifully. My family stayed from Wednesday thru Saturday nights. Each night the street noise got progressively worse. So, if you plan on partying until 3 am, then this is the hotel for you. Because there is no AC and the 6th floor was incredibly hot, we had to sleep with the windows open. This won't be a problem in winter. However, we stayed in June with pleasant weather. I cannot warn you enough about the noise. It was incredible.

The breakfast in the lounge was good and fresh orange juice and cappuccino was a pleasant surprise. If it wasn't for the heat and noise I would fully recommend the hotel. If you have kids or want to sleep at a decent hour, then think twice about staying at Hotel Durant.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the top floor unless you love a hot room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

From the moment we set foot on to this property, we just fell in love...

We found this place online while looking for a pet-friendly hotel near the Oakland Arena to see a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert last summer. :) It's not quite that close to the arena but within a 15-minute drive. What a treasure this place is - Hotel Durant epitomizes Berkeley!

The building is charming tucked away in the college dorm neighborhood, you almost feel like you're staying in one of the chic'er dorms. :) The decor has so much character - if you grew up in Northern California or went to college in the Bay Area, it will take you back to those college years...and smile! The details that they put in to the decor is very impressive - the door hangers with the room service menu is shaped like a sock, the room key card looks like a student ID, the lamp in the room looks like a gigantic bong... :)

The rooms are small but it is expected in these older buildings. There's no A/C but there's a ceiling fan (most Bay Area homes do not come with an A/C unit).

This hotel is within walking distance to Telegraph Ave. and of course UC Berkeley. It's on a quaint, tree-lined street with little restaurants and shops.

My dog and I enjoyed walking around the residential neighborhood dotted with fraternity and sorority houses.

The service was wonderful - from my initial contact with reservations to the front desk clerk who checked us in, I can't find anything to complain about.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Durant? Share your experiences!