“nice and friendly” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
College Station, Texas
“nice and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Durant for 8 nights for a meeting. It has very nice service and also in a very good neighborhood, lot of good and cheap restaurants. I think it is the best choice if you are going to UC Berkeley. Definitely will come back one day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I enjoy staying at older hotels because they are usually filled with classic tidbits that are now gone. And while Hotel Durant didn't disappoint in that regard, they sure need to watch the other small things. Like what? We stayed in a one bedroom for three days that had a hole in the bedspread, a coffee service but no tea, fairly thin walls and a good layer of dust everywhere. There was a nice sized walk-in closet but with no lights, so we had to put the bathroom light on to see inside the closet that was located across the entrance hall. They could also spend a bit more money on their toilet paper. Let me just say that the SFO airport had softer paper than this hotel. Last but not least, they also charge for using the computer in their lobby, even as guests, and there is only one. We needed to use it, as we printed out our boarding pass for the trip home and also some other important papers--$15 for less than 30 minutes. Not nice these days.

On the good side, the hotel is in walking distance to UC Berkeley, the staff is extremely friendly and the atmosphere oozes with charm. But those small things mentioned above really turn me off. Probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Oldstyle Berkeley with charm. Small rooms but well appointed. Parking is reasonable for Berkeley.Staff is exceptional. Only thing to improve: wine list and menu.
I will stay at this hotel again, but take my own wine with me.

• Stayed April 2013
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Excellent service. self park is a lot just outside the back door. Reserve your parking spot in advance. The lobby is elegantly ornate. Our room had a desk from the Anthropology department and a black & white of a couple of streakers in the bathroom. Plenty of pillows, comfortable bed, ceiling fan and floor fans were nice.So close our high school student was on campus meeting CAL friends in moments to attend classes et al. I would stay again in a heart beat. Cheap & tasty eats close by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have stayed at The Durant four times and it has always been a pleasant experience. It's a quick 7 block walk from the Berkeley BART station, making it easy to get to from SFO. The decor of the rooms humorously recall dorm rooms and the lobby also has some whimsical academic touches that refer to its very close proximity to the University of California. It's in the heart of the colorful neighborhood that is Berkeley and also adjacent to Oakland. The staff has always been very welcoming and attentive. My requests on the website for down free rooms are always remembered. There is parking available as well.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have bathtubs. Some only have showers. If you really want one, just specify that you d...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

As an individual studying Hospitality Management, I can get a bit picky when it comes to service.

Unfortunately we had to wait about 8-10 at the front desk before any one came to help us out, after continuous ringing of the front desk bell. When a girl about my age (early 20's) finally came up to talk to us, she was giggling and completely unprofessional, without apologizing for the wait. Minor details of course, but this is something I catch as an individual in the industry. The only other issue we had during our entire stay was the cleaning staff every morning around 7:30-8ish that were very loud and boisterous and had no restraints on their voice level. For me it was no major issue as I wake up around that time, but my boyfriend for example likes to sleep in until 9-10 which isn't too much to ask for when staying at a hotel.

With that being said, this hotel was great. The decor is a spin on dorm life which of course fits perfectly into the whole atmosphere of Berkeley itself. The rooms were small but had great witty details that were fun to look for when we first arrived in our room. Our room on the top floor also allowed us access to a special lounge that included breakfast which was a nice treat and something great to take advantage of. Unfortunately with our room being on the top floor we could hear the elevator at all hours and again had problems with housekeeping and their noise levels.
I loved the details to this hotel; from the "bong" lamp to the boutique shampoo and conditioner; the entire atmosphere is fun and quirky. What we loved most though was the location; it is absolutely perfect! You are literally a block away from UC Berkeley Campus and just a couple of footsteps away from great food, pubs and funky clothing stores. My boyfriend and I came to California to experience the foodie culture and do "cool" and "different" shopping and unfortunately we were not able to find this in San Francisco, but Berkeley more than made up for this. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its location, but don't expect anything special when it comes to service; which for most people is just fine.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor- you get access to the lounge! Also; ask for a room AWAY from the elevat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is ideally situated within walking distance to the campus and smack in the middle of the cute, little town. My friend and I stayed two nights while visiting a Berkeley student and never used our car. Parking is $16/day, but you may be lucky enough to find nearby parking on the street.

Check-in was great. The night manager, Eric, was super friendly and helpful. Our room was a smallish corner room with two beds, but still roomy enough. It had nice decor and was clean. The bathroom was teeny, tiny but because I had read this on previous reviews, I brought a hanging cosmetic bag so my things were accessible.

Yes, this is an old hotel- the floors creaked, the carpet was raised in areas, and the walls were paper-thin, but it had so much charm. The lobby was welcoming and hip, and Henry's is a great place to have drinks and food. I would definitely stay here again when returning to Berkeley!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Durant? Share your experiences!