“Location, Location, Location” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Location, Location, Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

As an individual studying Hospitality Management, I can get a bit picky when it comes to service.

Unfortunately we had to wait about 8-10 at the front desk before any one came to help us out, after continuous ringing of the front desk bell. When a girl about my age (early 20's) finally came up to talk to us, she was giggling and completely unprofessional, without apologizing for the wait. Minor details of course, but this is something I catch as an individual in the industry. The only other issue we had during our entire stay was the cleaning staff every morning around 7:30-8ish that were very loud and boisterous and had no restraints on their voice level. For me it was no major issue as I wake up around that time, but my boyfriend for example likes to sleep in until 9-10 which isn't too much to ask for when staying at a hotel.

With that being said, this hotel was great. The decor is a spin on dorm life which of course fits perfectly into the whole atmosphere of Berkeley itself. The rooms were small but had great witty details that were fun to look for when we first arrived in our room. Our room on the top floor also allowed us access to a special lounge that included breakfast which was a nice treat and something great to take advantage of. Unfortunately with our room being on the top floor we could hear the elevator at all hours and again had problems with housekeeping and their noise levels.
I loved the details to this hotel; from the "bong" lamp to the boutique shampoo and conditioner; the entire atmosphere is fun and quirky. What we loved most though was the location; it is absolutely perfect! You are literally a block away from UC Berkeley Campus and just a couple of footsteps away from great food, pubs and funky clothing stores. My boyfriend and I came to California to experience the foodie culture and do "cool" and "different" shopping and unfortunately we were not able to find this in San Francisco, but Berkeley more than made up for this. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its location, but don't expect anything special when it comes to service; which for most people is just fine.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor- you get access to the lounge! Also; ask for a room AWAY from the elevat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

441 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is ideally situated within walking distance to the campus and smack in the middle of the cute, little town. My friend and I stayed two nights while visiting a Berkeley student and never used our car. Parking is $16/day, but you may be lucky enough to find nearby parking on the street.

Check-in was great. The night manager, Eric, was super friendly and helpful. Our room was a smallish corner room with two beds, but still roomy enough. It had nice decor and was clean. The bathroom was teeny, tiny but because I had read this on previous reviews, I brought a hanging cosmetic bag so my things were accessible.

Yes, this is an old hotel- the floors creaked, the carpet was raised in areas, and the walls were paper-thin, but it had so much charm. The lobby was welcoming and hip, and Henry's is a great place to have drinks and food. I would definitely stay here again when returning to Berkeley!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

If you are visiting the UC Berkeley campus, this is an ideal place to stay. I knew that I'd like this place as soon as I walked into the lobby. A busy and hip bar sits on one end of the college-themed lobby. When you check in, a bowl full of colorful hard candy always is present on the counter. The rooms are small, but cozy and well appointed. They have quirky touches such as a lamp shaped like a water pipe and a "Do Not Disturb" sign that's shaped like a sock :). We stay here when we see shows at UC Berkeley's Greek Theater (my favorite outdoor music venue I the Bay Area). All points on campus are within a short walk. The hotel has free parking and great restaurants are near.

• Stayed September 2012
Allen, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice room, comfy bed, great shower and a tub, microscopic sink and no place for any toiletries. Amusing shower curtain. You just have to see for yourself.
I was visiting during the Spring break, so the streets were quiet, and I could sleep with opened windows. If my stay was during the school semester, it would not be possible to get a good night sleep, even if you are a sound sleeper. My room was facing the street, but I am not sure if the back would be any quieter or if there are dorms or frat houses on the back. I think I stayed at 411.

The hotel is in a perfect location relative to school and nice places to eat. Hotel does not have a restaurant, but the bar seems to be very popular.

Overall, the place and management felt warm and homey.

Room Tip: I think I stayed at 411.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

You can tell that it was built 90 years ago by the small room sizes, but the staff and ambiance more than make up for it. Henry's is a nice (but pricey for the area) place to have dinner and drinks. The hotel staff was great! I will certainly stay there again when!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the fifth floor and that faces campus. Great views from there.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel is lokated Durant Avenue, close to University of California (Berkeley). The staff welcoming you are very helpful and friendly. My luggage was missing and they called ceveral times to help me get it.
The condition of the hotel is ok, not especially good, but it is quite all right if you are not too picky. Some of the rooms are big, mine was normal.
I would reccomend the hotel if you are going to Berkeley. It is just 30 minutes by train to go to San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back if you want some peace and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I booked this hotel from Texas for my daughter who was traveling alone. The front desk staff I am sorry I can't remember her name, she was so sweet to me, I called several times to inquire about paying for the room so my daughter wouldn't have to have her credit card on file. She was so very sweet, called her I think three different times, she even offered to let me know when she checked in.. When my daughter did arrive the night time staff was very sweet.. Told her where not to go, and that he would like her back by 10pm.. Just to know she was safe.. The bar staff was also very kind to her. As a mother I was so thankful.. The rooms were fine according to my daughter. The only thing she said was that it was a tiny bit warm and the windows didn't open, but there were plenty of fans..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Durant? Share your experiences!