“cute boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Freiburg
“cute boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

great location, friendly service and really cute hip atmosphere. i don't have any problem with wifi here. Really really like the deco. Haven't tried the food here but look yummy.I will definitely coming back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

First things first - Hotel Durant has excellent staff who really understand service. It is also extremely conveniently located if you have to do anything with the University. Finally, it has a great theme (University Dorm), and is charmingly decorated.

Now the downsides: I was assured by the staff that this is an issue in late summer, and not other times of the year, but the rooms get hot. Because there is no aircon you open the window, so then you get the street noise. And because you are I'm the middle of the students, that can mean guys shouting on the street after a night of drinking at 3am (this may not be an issue at other times of the year).

So, that's my first night, so I ask for a change of room (they change me rom 405 to 120). This time no street noise and no late afternoon sun - great. The room is smaller and ponied, but hey, I'm only sleeping here. Then it's 6am and the phone goes. I think, "Hang on, that's not my ring tone!". Turns out it's the guy in the room next door, but he may as well be sitting at the desk in my room, because I hear the entire conversation, word for word. Then a French-speaking guy on the other side, and finally room service down the hallway.

I also found the beds (in both rooms) a little hard compared to the major chains, but that may be personal.

Now, these are things more related to the construction of the building than the look and feel, and attitude of the staff (which are all top-notch), but if you need your sleep, or value your privacy, I suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The location of the hotel if you want a place close to UC Berkeley. However I wouldn't recommend it for prospective students because of the lack of wifi. I was there for three days and there was no wifi all three days which made planning orientation/signing up online for retreats and checking teleBEARS enrolment nearly impossible which sadly was what I had planned to during my stay.

They did let me check in early which was lovely and also allowed us to keep our bags at the hotel after check out until our move in time which was very helpful. But otherwise the staff weren't very helpful at all. I left an item in the room which I returned quickly to pick up from lost property but I was given alot of excuses and told they'd be in contact with me with they'd sourced it from lost property. No one did for the following week so obviously nothing had been done about it. When I went in the week later I was told to wait while they tried to get a hold of the lost property supervisor just so he could tell me in person the item apparently had never existed on their records. They'd obviously thrown it out but didn't want to take responsibility for it. Very frustrating when all it would've taken was a staff member to check the room the following day after my initial inquiry during cleaning hours.

The hotel itself is nice but not without faults. The elevator takes a minimum of two minutes to come so I used the staff stairs the whole stay. The shower struggled to maintain a consistent hot water temperature and the light fitting made clicking noises while it was on that were a bit irritating (did really bother me). The bed was very comfy and the rooms were quite pleasant.

Overall it was an alright stay but if you are a student I'd recommend finding somewhere else and if you were on business I'd guess you could find better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Carlsbad CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Durant while we were moving our son into the dorms at Cal. Our room was clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful but not too much. It is the closest/nicest hotel to the southside dorms.

Some downsides - the elevators are awfully slow and there are only two. When we were trying to checkout I had to wait about 10 minutes to get an elevator that wasn't stuffed with people, dishes or laundry. No a/c (that wasn't a problem for us, however, because it's normally cool in Berkeley). And you can hear quite clearly the televisions in adjacent rooms and people in the halls.

Upsides - To get away from the hordes of students and homeless, pop into Henry's and have a drink!

Port Jefferson, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Not a good place. I stayed for a week here. My major issue with this hotel is that it's rooms are very noisy! Although my room was on the fourth floor and not facing a major street, sounds from the nearby rooms were penetrating via the thin paper walls. Considering the fact that this hotel attracts mostly a young (college) crowd be prepared to have a number of sleepless nights. You can hear conversations, foot steps, snoring, bathroom sounds from the rooms next to you. This is disgusting. On the good side the beds are comfortable and the hotel is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Berkeley. It is a 15 min walk from Berkeley's BART station, walking distance from the UC Berkeley campus and nearby a shuttle stop for Berkeley National lab. In addition, the nice flat big screen TV, the free internet and the Keurig type coffee maker add a flavor of luxury in the room. However, the hotel is old and has one or two elevators. During the rush hour expect delays. Breakfast is not free but the nearby Noah's Bagel store at Telegraph Ave is highly recommended. I think the hotel has a bar/ restaurant on site. I paid $100 per night but this was a discount rate. In conclusion, although the interior of the rooms in this hotel have the basics, its extremely poor sound insulation and its high price make me not to recommend this place to you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
WJones2600, General Manager at Hotel Durant, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear grevo77,

Thank you for the kind words regarding our beds, the location, the free internet, flat screen tv's and the in room coffee maker. We do strive to make your stay with us as comfortable and convenient as possible. I do apologize for the noise issues you encountered during your stay and thank you for your comments on this as they will help us to improve. We do hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to Berkeley.

Warmest regards,
Will Jones
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

a short walk from both Telegraph and Shattuck (i.e. shopping, restaurants, etc etc), a super friendly staff, and a nice bar/restaurant connected to the lobby. the noise levels can be kind o crazy when inconsiderate guests roam the halls, but the comfy beds, great location, and unique atmosphere made up for it in my opinion. we did have a fuse blow in our room, leaving us without our main lights, but it was quickly corrected by the staff. also, the rooms come with fancy alarm clocks next to the bed which we were bummed to find out hadn't been reset before our stay, waking us up before 6 a.m. on our vacation our first night there. i would definitely stay here again though!

Buenos Aires
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Great staff; fast, free wifi, excelent location right on campus.

Entirely too noisy, we were waled up every morning at dawn by trucks right below our window, we enjoyed every movie any of out neighbours was watching, an suffered with every step they took on the room above ours. Could not get a good night sleep in 5 days!!!

Room was very small and so was the bathroom. Breakfast is served at the restaurant hotel, but is very expensive and not very good.

Parking is charged and tricky, as the lot is small and during the day many non guests park there. You won't habe trouble to park at night, but during the day parking is absolutely not guaranteed.

I'm sorry for the excelent staff in the hotel, but I would not return.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hotel Durant? Share your experiences!