“Nice Clean Hotel, Excellent Staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
california
“Nice Clean Hotel, Excellent Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Staff was excellent and friendly. Our room was modern, clean, with comfy beds on the 5th floor on Durant Ave.The only problem we had was having to leave our windows open all day and evening. Even with two fans our room was warm. Sleeping on Durant Ave side of the hotel with windows open is very noisy due to traffic and students up all night. We would DEFINITELY like to stay here again! Next time I would ask for the quite side of the hotel. I Also left my phone charger and Ipod cord at the hotel. Thank you Hotel Durant for mailing it to me at no charge.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the quiet side of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
LWilson2600, Manager at Hotel Durant, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, we are continuing to look for ways to improve the room temperature of our rooms on hotter days. We also appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Lovely hotel with helpful, competent staff. Seriously cool decor and excellent food.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Very close to the UCB campus and College Ave The Durant is perfectly located for anyone who is connected with the University. I have used the Durant for over 35 years and I must admit I am somewhat biased towards it. This was my first visit after the renovation and I found the lobby nicely refreshed if still a bit dark. Having said that, I much prefer comfort in the room that flashiness in the lobby. My room was on the 5th floor and was quiet and roomy, with a huge closet and a nice bathroom. There was complimentary coffee in the room, which was not offered at the Shattuck Plaza, as well free Internet access ( although very slow, but with possibility of upgrade). The hotel also offered both Valet parking at $ 26 a day, or self parking at $19 a day.The staff was helpful and very friendly.The Durant is still my favourite hotel in Berkeley.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the streets. If you cannot find parking in the self-park section they...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for 35 years of devotion, and your kind words for not only our staff but for the hotel improvements over the past few years. We will continue to improve the Durant and hope to make each of your future stays better then the next.
Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

The room is clean and roomy. The beds were very comfy, the windows actually open- which is a good thing since there is NO air conditioning!

Very cute decor (think 60's college dorms): bong shaped lamps, student id room key cards, dictionary entries print shower curtains, metal desk and chair, etc.

Close to EVERYTHING! UC Berkeley campus is 2 blocks away. Tons of eateries and coffee shops close by which is a good thing because room service and the restaurant stop serving food at 10pm, on the weekend....

My biggest complaint would be that when we checked in they didn't have any valet parking left and no street parking available (time limits). The front desk told me the lot down the street was $5, got to the lot and it was actually $13. Still cheaper than valet would have been but the front desk girl seemed snarky when I let her know (just so she'd correctly quote for other guests!).

I mentioned before but think its worth mentioning again- No air conditioning. Most of the time this isn't an issue for Berkeley, but sometimes they do have unseasonably warm weather and it could be uncomfortable for people sensitive to heat.

No in-room check out so check out line was long and slow at 11am.

Overall a good stay, we weren't in the hotel much. I'd stay here again if I got a good deal on a room. Not sure its worth published price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed here on a weeknight, on short notice when we could find nothing in San Fran. It was convenient and a nice location. I left a shirt that was a gift I had received in the room. It was from REI with tags and all. When I realized this a few days later, I called the Hotel. They sent me my shirt a few days later. Its nice to know good customer service still exists!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
LWilson2600, Manager at Hotel Durant, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
Thank you we certainly strive to provide exceptional service and are happy to hear that you received your shirt. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Wish I could give Hotel Durant five stars, but I can't because of a stupid incident we had the morning we checked out. First of all, I would very much recommend this hotel to almost anyone who wants a more sophisticated, urban and somewhat quirky experience (much like downtown Berkeley!). The decor is very cool and hip, hearkening back to the Class of '71's yearbook. The rooms are well appointed, spotless, and comfortable. We booked on Priceline so got a steal, even though we ended up with a disability accessible bathroom. But here's the bummer: we ran into Henry's, the hotel restaurant, on the morning of check out. We had about 40 minutes to eat before grabbing a cab. The restaurant had about seven patrons in it, but the server informed us that they couldn't serve us within our time window because a group of 25 people had reserved breakfast and the kitchen would only cook orders in the order in which they were placed. What?! I only wanted coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. A rather disgruntled Scottish gentleman -- a visiting student to the Graduate Theological Union -- was also turned down. He was almost sputtering in amazement, as was I. Oh well. The hotel is great. The restaurant, maybe not so much ...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the honest and thoughtful review on the Hotel Durant. We do also appreciate your feedback in regards to your service at Henry’s. We will be working with the team to improve our service.
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Was in Berkeley for a 3-night business trip and chose this place over Shattuck Plaza because I got a very good rate for a Graduate Floor room, which I knew would be renovated and on the top floor.

As I do everything possible to stay in hotels that best exemplify the character of the city in which it is located, I was very happy with the 'fit' between Durant and Berkeley. I wanted a place that was funky yet cosmopolitan, and I got it. I also did not want to stay on Shattuck, which is a more generic and 'mature' area compared to where this hotel is, which is a blast.

I wanted and was given a room overlooking a quiet side street rather than the front of the hotel, so I didn't have the noise problems that others reported.. Though it was relatively small (TA warned me about the small bathrooms, the room was full of nice touches, and the school theme was clever without being too cute (you can go to McMennamin's Kennedy School in Portland for that) and I loved that each room on the floor was named after a famous, or infamous Berkeley grad. I didn't take advantage of the continental breakfast, unfortunately, so I cannot comment on its quality. Being on a higher floor without air conditioning could get ugly, but luckily my room had a portable floor air conditioning unit (it vents out the window through some sort of hose), but it worked and I was happy that it was there.

Front desk staff was both personable and professional. Real people doing well at their jobs.

Come to think of it there were really no downside surprises to the visit (other than TA prepared me for), and that alone is notable as there's usually something that goes wrong. In fact, my whole trip was almost torpedoed because a certain third-party hotel room reseller didn't pass my reservation along to the hotel. Thankfully, I called the Durant early that afternoon morning to confirm directly with the Durant, which then contacted Orbitz and ironed everything out. For those using third party sites, I highly recommend doing this.

I only give five stars to hotels that vault over my high expectations, but this charming hotel easily met them.

Room Tip: Stretch to pay for Graduate Floor if you can, and if you don't like noise, sacrifice the view fo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
You provided great insight into our hotel and facts about the graduate floor which we have to agree are great rooms to book if your are look for that little something extra. We look forward to welcoming you back and exceeding your expectations on your next visit to Berkeley.

Been to Hotel Durant? Share your experiences!