“My burger & fries weren't my favorite but everything else was really good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smart Alec's Intelligent Food

Ranked #256 of 602 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
“My burger & fries weren't my favorite but everything else was really good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went with 8 others and they loved their choices. Garden delight salad was huge and very tasty. Chicken Caesar salad was also really good. Husband liked his turkey sandwich. They have a vegetarian burger. I had the basic beef burger, but I wouldn't pick it again. Wasn't terrible, but was kind of dry and had a funny taste to it. Probably because it was some kind of special grass-fed beef, I think. If you like that sort of thing, then this would probably be fine for you. The "fries" are baked so they're healthier. But if I'm out and eating fries, I want the real thing. Healthy I can do at home. Salad comes with a big chunk of cornbread, but no butter.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Francisco, California
“Great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Last time I was there I ordered my usual soup ad sandwich combo, which is not only healthy but tasty. I dropped my tray and everything fell on the floor. I was feeling really bad, and suddenly I got the same combo for free courtesy of the restaurant. Ever since I go back at least one a week.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Not bad, but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Ate hear looking for good vegan options in Berkeley for lunch. The food was okay, nothing special, but there was a decent variety of vegan choices. The garlic fries (air "fried") were very garlicy, but a little limp.

The staff was very helpful, cost was reasonable.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fremont, CA
“Our go to restaurant in Berkeley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Not fancy, and way better than fast food. This is healthy fast food, if you wish - soups, salads, corn bread, sandwiches. They are now offering a special sandwich and soup of the week. This is our go to place near the Cal campus, when we need a quick bite before or after a sports event. Helpings are generous, service (place your order & pick up when called) is speedy. Since its essentially self serve bussing, only minus, is occasional messiness around the tables since there's a lots of turn over of the tables. Soups also tend to be thick to the point of being mush, not soup.

• Visited January 2013
Sacramento Ca
“Baked Garlic Fries :D”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a favorite of my son who is enrolled at the university. Its perfect for a hungry student! The food is good, portions are large & the price is reasonable & its healthy! My husband had the garlic fries which are baked. Who knew baked fries could taste so good! My son likes the soups & sandwiches. I had the wild berry smoothie which was very tasty!

• Visited May 2012