“Expensive, but some things are worth it” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 602 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Vegan
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
“Expensive, but some things are worth it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

I am not vegan or raw, but because I don't eat gluten, corn or refined sugar and I like veggies, I end up at places like this when I can find them. This place has some items that are cooked, which surprised me. The black bean burger was one of them and it wasn't especially good. The raw nachos are awesome!!! They offer juices. I tried one and tried to replace one ingredient in the recipe. It wasn't good and I'm not sure how much better it would have been if I left it alone. The desserts are about what you'd expect if you are used to eating like this. Twice, I was or was almost, given the wrong food. THe first time it ended up I got a second meal for free! I went once in the evening and ate outside. It was nice, calm. I went another time during the day and it was hopping. THe service was a bit slower then. If you are dining by yourself, there is a sofa where they can seat you with other solo diners. Overall, I was happy with the options, though I was told the number and quality of those options decreased with the closing of he SF location. I like the Green Boheme in Sacramento better, but this was still a very decent and healthy place.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Brisbane, Australia
“Fabulous food experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I had the opportunity to have lunch at Cafe Gratitude in March this year, wow what a taste sensation of creativity and freshness. Not only is the food sensational but the ambience is welcoming and nurturing too. I love the cook book great inspiring recipies. Well done Cafe Gratitude.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
london
“Yum yumma ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Love cafe gratitude. Love the food, attitude and price. Heath food can sometimes be really over priced and pretentious but this was home cooked, fresh and super tasty. Wish there was one in London

Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
“True Berkeley experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had a really nice time here! We were surprised there as a wait at 2:00 pm for lunch, but it's clearly a popular place!

We had a smoothie to start (I am sweet)-- strawberry flavored. It was great, and really wonderful on a hot day. Then, for food, we had the I am warm-hearted mushroom dish and the I am magical black bean burger. "I am warm-hearted" is extremely hearty and filling, so maybe wasn't the best choice for sitting in the sun. It was tasty though! Personally, I preferred the burger though it actually wasn't the best veggie burger I've ever had! It was a bit too mushy for my taste.

Surprisingly, the star of the meal was the salad dressing on the greens that came with the veggie burger... So maybe the experience is best if you go with a salad! ....And a smoothie. Totally worthwhile!

The main caveat I have is that the food is all really really expensive. For two people, our total lunch bill was over $50, with no alcohol or (obviously) meat ordered. I feel like it's possible to get an affordable, healthy, vegetarian meal elsewhere for much much less... Though you miss out on the Berkeley experience!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aalborg, Denmark
“I LOVE this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was visiting San Francisco and decided to take a trip to Berkeley. A friend had recommended Cafe Gratitude so I went there for lunch - I was so overwhelmed that I had to come back for dinner.
Delicious, vegan food in a nice setting. The raw sushi is yummy!

• Visited March 2014