“Best place to stay in Berkeley and a great place for the SF Area” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
San Mateo, California
“Best place to stay in Berkeley and a great place for the SF Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed at this hotel 2 nights during a conference. I stayed in two different rooms because I did not stay contiguous nights.

The check-in was quick and efficient. I arrived on a Sunday evening and they offered a coupon for a free glass of house wine and there was a prix fixe dinner menu in the restaurant. Alas, by the time I got to the restaurant they were no longer serving dinner. I enjoyed the wine at the bar, and had a snack of salad and chicken & waffles there. Both were quite good and well-priced.

The rooms were both on the small side but well-designed and did not feel cramped for a single person. (I presume they would give you a somewhat larger room if you had two people because the room would have been small for a couple.) The toiletries were EO, nice stuff. All fixtures in the room functioned properly and the rooms were very clean.

The fitness center is small but it was adequate. There is a rack of dumbbells, 2 treadmills, and an elliptical. They have towels and water glasses, and a water cooler.

I had several meals at the hotel as part of the conference, and all were excellent. If the conference meals are any indicator of the quality of the restaurant, I would expect the restaurant is fabulous. I plan to try it next time I'm in the area.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Carmichael, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We made reservations to stay here for one night this weekend . Having read the other reviews we had high expectations that this would be a great experience. We were disappointed! Even though this was a boutique hotel and had undergone many upgrades we found quite a few misses. The rooms although tiny were very clean and efficient since they advertise themselves as "eco conscious." Beds were very comfortable and bathroom was spotless. Directions are a little confusing and we couldn't find the "Fitness Room".
After our concert, we came in late Saturday evening and the bar was 3 people deep and very noisy! I wanted a cup of tea and asked at the main desk where I could get one.
The answer was a laugh and "try the "bar." This looked like a daunting task and I didn't want to chance it.
I'll back up to our first indication that things might not be what we hoped.
What struck us as we were registering was the description of morning coffee availability. Gina told us to get downstairs early for our coffee or it would be too late as everything would be gone by 8am. A little strange we thought..even more so when we checked the In Room Dining Menu that stated Grab and Go coffee and pastries are supposed to be available 7am-10am. When my husband went down to get our coffee and pastries he was met with a curious look. "Pastries? or we don't have those!" Need to take it off the In Room Dining Menu then.
I called down to the recommended Five restaurant and asked what was on the menu for breakfast. I was told selections were seasonal and varied. I asked about the crab omelette which I had seen on the on-line menu. Again I was told "Oh that is seasonal. We don't have that today ..only Mon-Fri. I guess crab isn't in season on the weekends at this hotel. There were 2 wedding parties here this weekend and I was beginning to think maybe they had run out of food. I also felt that we were just booked to take up the few remaining rooms. When we made reservations several months ago I asked for the Romance Package but was told it was not available this weekend. Perhaps because of the wedding parties?
Staff were pleasant but all in all felt like 2nd class citizens at this place and won't likely return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
HSP2009, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your positive comments, as well as your feedback. We are grateful for your acknowledgment on the cleanliness of our rooms and the many upgrades of our renovation.

I am sorry that when you returned from the concert we did not directly accommodate your request for tea and in place redirected you to the bar. Our standard is that requests are handled first time by the person you communicate with, and are not passed on to another department. I have followed through and re-itereated this valued service step with our team.

Our complimentary morning coffee service is in the lobby from 6am to 8am. Yes we did have a 'grab and go' breakfast set out at this time previously, which has now been replaced with FIVE's restaurant breakfast, featuring a 'grab and go box' for those guests in a hurry, as well as serving full American Breakfasts, that are also provided on our updated In Room Dining Menu.

Euan Taylor
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

This was my first trip to Berkeley as we were getting our son enrolled in school. As a Professor of Hotel Management at Roosevelt University in Chicago and someone who has been a hotel consultant all over the world for the past 40 years, I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in what separates an average Hotel from a good, very good and great one. Although this Hotel is still in its embryo stages, it is already a very good property. The general Manager Euan Taylor 's pedigree is European management and in the U.S. from the Ritz Carlton ,Four Seasons chain. His background and training demonstrates itself in all employees from Front Desk, F&B down through Housekeeping. I was especially impressed with the young rotating Concierge staff. This is definitely my hotel of choice when I come back to Berkeley. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

My family and I stayed here for a week while we settled our college age son in Berkeley. This is a beautiful property with well-appointed, aesthetically pleasing streamlined and well-edited rooms and suites, situated in the heart of downtown-close to everything. It has the polish of a grande dame hotel but the friendliness of a boutique or fine b & b. The staff are young, from the area and knowledgeable about their Berkeley, friendly, and eager to please. The rates are excellent considering the caliber of the hotel. We loved our stay at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza and plan to make it our destination hotel whenever we visit our son. It is a gorgeous property, a gem.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Santa Fe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

We stayed 3 great nights at the Hotel Shattuck, our room was on the third floor, but the traffic noise did not bother us. All of the hotel services were great, the front desk and doorman were able to get us where we wanted to go easily. Their suggestions for restaurants and transportation were right on. Unfortunately you could not say that for the service in the restaurant. While the breakfasts were delicious, it could take 20 minutes for a cup of coffee or for cream and sugar for the coffee. Stay at the hotel, its great, skip the dining room, there are plenty coffee and bagel shops nearby for breakfast.

San Rafael, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed here for one night - 2 adults and 2 kids (13 & 18); the rooms are well appointed, but very small (2 double beds). Luckily, there is enough to do in the area to minimize the stay in the room - we had breakfast at Venus (yum, per hotel recommendation and highly recommend it), parked in the garage across the street ($10 for weekend - checked in Saturday/out Sunday), and walked to our nearby wedding. We also partied in the lobby bar until 2:30 AM on Saturday. The hotel had good security, very well-lit hallways (especially at night). Only problem we had was we turned off the AC when we went to bed as it was so cold, and work up overheated and couldn't figure out how to turn it back on. For a stay of more than one night, I would also suggest 2 rooms for a family of 4!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

The Shattuck approached an Excellent rating. It's located in the heart of Berkeley, a block from BART, with plenty of shopping and restaurants. The staff was helpful and responsive from check-in through check-out. I arrived running late for dinner with business associates and my keycard didn't work. Rather than drag my luggage down the long hall to the sole elevator (one of the few drawbacks to the hotel), a functioning card was delivered. I am a light sleeper, and was concerned that my room's great view of the busy thoroughfare would be compromised by bus noise. When I returned to the room from dinner, that was confirmed. The staff promptly put me in an interior room that was very quiet.

The rooms are very attractive. A couple of quibbles: my desk chair was broken, and the lounge chair had a short back, leaving only the bed for a power nap and reading. The bed and bedding was outstanding. There was no minibar/fridge, which is fine with me. The room was very clean. And the hotel embraces environmentally-friendly practices that in no way detract from the stay.

Breakfast was excellent, and dinner was quite good, although the attractive dining area is rather noisy.

I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!