“A Superlative Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Forestville, California
“A Superlative Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

A year ago I stayed at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza for the first time and my experience then was not the best, as there were a few service lapses. The hotel’s general manager Greg got in touch with me afterwards and was very concerned and responsive. He extended an offer to personally oversee any future reservations that I might make. Almost exactly a year later my husband and I made plans to stay overnight in Berkeley and I again chose Hotel Shattuck Plaza due to its unrivaled central location and also because I wanted to have a second look at the hotel. I did contact Greg to let him know of our reservation and he immediately upgraded our room from a Deluxe King to a Bay view Suite, which I thought was extremely generous. We had nothing short of an exceptional stay this time. From the time we arrived until we departed the next day, all members of the hotel staff from doorman to reception desk personnel to housekeepers were flawless. All genuinely seemed to enjoy working for the hotel which I believe is strong testimony to a well-run business. It was a pleasure to talk to the young man who checked us in and to the young woman who came over to offer us refreshments as we waited a few short minutes prior to going up to our room.

Upon walking into Hotel Shattuck Plaza you enter what is essentially one expansive, light-filled area that houses the reception desk, lobby, and adjacent FIVE restaurant and lounge. The decor throughout is very colorful, creative and at times whimsical—just looking around makes you smile! The hotel has a key-card operated system that one needs to remember in order to take the elevator up to the room levels and also to activate the power in your room. A couple of times we forgot to put our card into the wall slot which brought momentary puzzlement and then amusement once we remembered what needed to be done.

Hotel Shattuck Plaza has a fine restaurant and bar that we’ve enjoyed during both of our visits. FIVE restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as offering a great bar menu. The hotel also has a fitness center and provides guest computers in the lobby. There is parking close by in private lots not affiliated with the hotel. During both of our stays we chose to park in the Allston Way Garage which is right across the street from the hotel. At $34 per day, one would surely be able to find less expensive options, but you can’t beat the convenient location.

Photographs of architectural details from the hotel and local buildings adorn many of the walls throughout the hotel and we enjoyed looking at these images as we walked (slowly) down the corridors to our room.

Our suite #510 on the 5th floor was bright and spacious and we felt at home the moment we walked into it. There was a “welcome tray” awaiting us—truly a wonderful surprise! Included was a very nice note from Greg the general manager, along with an incredibly delicious assortment of dried apricots, figs and dates; 3 different types of cheese, crackers, a box of chocolates, bottles of still water, and Vignette Wine Country Pinot Noir sodas (which I loved and will try to find near our home).

Furniture in our suite was well placed to maximize the space and provide unencumbered movement. Most of the furniture was a deep chocolate color which provided a nice visual contrast to the cream-hued walls and moldings. The carpet was a soft brown with a geometric pattern in blues and greens. Attractive, sueded floor-length drapes also served a practical purpose of effectively blocking out light if one wanted to sleep in.

There were 3 sets of wall-spanning windows in our suite: 2 in the living area and 1 in the bedroom. Views were of surrounding buildings with the very notable exception of the largest windows in the living room which afforded a panoramic view out to the Bay that included Alcatraz Island, the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge in the distance. Being able to view both bridges at once is always impressive. Watching a beautiful sunset above the Bay was a huge treat, especially being able to experience it from our room!

Furnishings in the bedroom included an extremely comfortable King bed with a tall upholstered headboard, a narrow desk and desk chair adjacent to the bed with a mirror above it, a nightstand, (2) club chairs and a small pedestal table between them (with the coffeemaker atop it). In the living room was a small sofa with (2) end tables— each with a drawer, (2) cushioned chairs next to a table that had neat scrolled legs and a top imprinted with an “inlaid” design (I wanted that table!) which could be used for dining or as a work space, an oval shaped 3-drawer bureau near the entry, and a console table with glass top and (2) padded stools.

Amenities included a 2-line phone on the bed stand, an iPod dock/clock radio, (2) Philips wall-mounted flat panel TV—one in the bedroom and one in the living room, Keurig pod coffeemaker, iron/board, hair dryer, (2) comfy bathrobes and complimentary Wi-Fi and connected Net service. The Wi-Fi connection was quick and remained mostly responsive throughout our stay (there were a few times when it became momentarily sluggish).

There was a good size walk-in closet with plenty of hangers, a luggage rack and a small 3-drawer chest. The room had enough electrical outlets to satisfy even me and there were (3) conveniently placed right at the desk. Each area of our suite had ample lighting; either table top lamps or floor lamps. That allowed us to sit anywhere and still have decent reading light.

There were separate temperature controls in the bedroom and living areas. The digital settings were responsive and the system was efficient and fairly quiet. All areas of our suite stayed very comfortable during our stay.

Our bathroom was a comfortable size with a standard combination shower/tub, marble (or marble-type) flooring, tub surround and sink stand top. The wall covering had a very attractive design which reminded me of paper Japanese lanterns—loved that look! Colors (white, charcoal, soft grey) were so well coordinated that even the boutique box of Kleenex matched. The vessel sink’s faucet seemed a bit too close to the edge of the sink, allowing water to splash over the side if one wasn’t careful. The sink rested on a very limited area of countertop—just enough space for a glass and a toothbrush. The only other surfaces to place toiletries and cosmetics were the top of the toilet tank and a very small, narrow glass shelf. It would have been helpful to have had a deeper shelf or an additional shelf/surface to place items. As it was, we had to keep our toiletry cases outside the bathroom. It took a while for the shower’s water temperature to reach a comfortable level but once it did, it remained constant and didn’t fluctuate. Water pressure was also good. The bath had good, even lighting. The fan worked efficiently in preventing steam from accumulating when one took a shower.

At night during our previous stay there was noise from the street and from the hallway, but this time all was very quiet throughout the night. I believe I only heard one door close and a single instance of some sounds in the hallway—and that was early in the evening when I was in the living room. The peaceful environment in the bedroom combined with an incredibly comfortable mattress provided me with the most restful night’s sleep that I’ve had in ages. It was wonderful!

The main mission of our Berkeley visit was to have dinner at Chez Panisse, which is a leisurely, interesting 20 min. walk north on Shattuck Ave. from the hotel. For a 24-hr. get-away that’s 100% relaxation and enjoyment, I can’t imagine a better combination than dinner at Chez Panisse and an overnight stay at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza! I hope to do both again before too much time elapses. I’m already looking forward to it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

626 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Newcastle WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is a fantastic place to stay in the middle of Berkeley. The BART stops just across the street. The hotel has a very nice restaurant and bar. The Happy Hour is terrific and occasionally has musical groups playing in the evening. The rooms are great. Our room had a distant view of San Francisco and the Bay. We had a king-bed room that had a very nice bathroom. The University of California campus is a short walk. There are many great restaurants within walking distance. The hotel staff were very helpful in recommending places to eat. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the hotel have the view of San Francisco.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was awakened at 6 am by what sounded like cattle running -- nonstop! After being totally baffled,
I realized my room was next to the gym and the sound was someone pounding on the treadmill.
So now I having a pounding headache. When I called guest services to complain, I was told
"Some people are more sensitive than others." Evidently there have been complaints before.
Nobody should be given this room. This is totally unacceptable and unprofessional for
a hotel like this -- and at this expense. I can only assume that they really don't care about their guests.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Susan K,

Thank you taking the time to tell us about your recent experience. We apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I understand from our reservations notes that we did work to resolve the issue that morning and am disappointed that it did not meet your satisfaction. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and will attempt to connect with you directly.

Kindest regards,

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As a refugee from a major chain in Emeryville, the staff welcomed me for my five-night stay at 9:00 AM with a latte, luggage storage, and the assignment of an excellent room. Each evening, the concierge provided thoughtful and accurate dinner recommendations. The hotel bar staff was extremely knowledgeable about the components of their fine cocktails, such that, we will now start making bitters at home. We look forward to staying here when we watch our daughter's home games at Cal for the next four years.

Room Tip: Ask for a view, but you will only enjoy in the absence of fog.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

... It would look like this! The modern decor was a selling feature, as is it's location next to the BART & downtown Berkeley, great service, and a Keurig coffee maker & iPod Dock stereo in the room.

Down sides are all the bums lurking directly outside, parking not included or attached (though pretty close, $15/day), and breakfast being a little pricey for what you get. My bf thought the bed was a bit hard, but I didn't mind.

That being said, I would recommend this hotel as a good, reasonably priced option, particularly close to UC Berkeley. There was a small boutique gym on-site, the hotel was always clean, and staff helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear citymusiclover,

Thank you for one of the most eye catching titles for a review and we are thrilled that the lobby décor resonated with you. Besides our convenient location to BART and UC Berkeley, we also have passes for guests to use the YMCA across the street, which is a one of the best in California.

We hope to welcome you back soon. Pleasant travels!

Kindest regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at this hotel. The location was great and the bar bites and breakfast were all delicious. Our stay started off rocky with our flat screen TV not working, but a call in to housekeeping brought a maintenance guy to our room right away. He could not get it to work, so we were given a new room next door - even bigger! The amenities, beds and air conditioning were all great. The staff was courteous and extremely helpful with good parking tips and good directions.

Room Tip: Please request the 4th or 5th floor.
Green Features: We love the hotel's environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear StepahnieWagner 2014,

Thank you for your recent post about your experience at our hotel and restaurant, Thank you for mentioning how the team made a positive experience during your stay. I apologize that the TV didn't work in your first room, but glad the team was able to provide you an alternate room, so quickly.

May all your travels be delightful adventures. We hope to see you back soon.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Enjoyed our stay in this centrally located hotel. The hotel itself has recently been remodelled, and the decor is contemporary and classic......very fun. The location is central and a short walk to the UC Berkely campus. We took the Bart in from the airport, and found the hotel one block away from the train stop. We were on the back side, so the room was very quiet. I noticed that they supplied ear plugs for street side rooms, which would be no surprise given the central downtown location. I highly recommend this hotel, and would suggest taking a happy hour break at the bar for their wonderful tapas and drinks. They nailed it as far as in room climate control, interior finish (especially the bathrooms) and decor are concerned. I only wish they had invested in a slightly better mattress.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear LaFollette,

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and found our décor and location fun and convenient. I regret that you felt the mattress was not up to par, if you want to email me to let me know what room you were in, I’d be happy to have the team check it out. You referenced that you enjoyed our happy hour in barFIVE, we also have live music on Wednesday and Thursdays from 7:30p – 9:30p. Hopefully you can enjoy this during your next stay.

Thank you for recognizing our sustainability efforts. We are continually looking for ways to improve in our environmental stewardship and that you found it easy to participate.

All the best in your future travels and we hope to welcome you back again, soon.

Best,

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, Restaurant & Bar

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!