“Great location, friendly staff, definitely recommended!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Can Tho
“Great location, friendly staff, definitely recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had a great time staying at Hotel Shattuck Plaza. From the start, the staff were friendly and accommodating, and answered all my queries quickly and efficiently. The hotel was easy to find and provided easy access to other towns and areas via the BART that is literally 20m away. My room was clean and very well equipped. It is about a 10 minute walk to UC Berkeley. Wifi worked perfectly.

I had a room on the 5th floor and it was very quiet and private. The view was not great but then, being in the middle of town I wasn't expecting anything different!

I highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

611 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
solvang
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Shattuck during Cal Day. The location is only a block away from Cal. The hotel is clean, the staff is very friendly and the restaurant very convenient. We ate breakfast and dinner at the restaurant and the food was very good. It is nice to have a hotel of that quality so close to the Cal campus. We will be back.
Go Bears!

Room Tip: Our room was located on the Shattuck street side. The street musicians can get a little noisy. I d...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here during a visit to Berkeley. Excellent service, nice clean small room. A good bed. Quiet room at night (my room was away from the main road). Perfect location just beside BART and in the middle of town. A short walt to Berkeley. Very friendly and helpfull staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear half62,

Thank you for your comments about your stay. We appreciate all feedback, but are always honored to know when an experience during a visit met or exceeded expectations.

Best regards,

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I selected this hotel based on 100% satisfied reviews on Hotwire. Location was not as important as the service you look forward to experiencing on an Anniversary.
Checked in with their understanding that it was our anniversary. They put us in a room that had a Full mattress. The mattress was not a hotel standard pillowtop...just a mattress. My ankles were hanging over the end.
I think the $130 we spent coming in at midnight and since it was a Hotwire price might have given the hotel a reason to put us in the worst room (I hope) in the hotel
We were put on an interior room on the 2nd floor that had a mechanical noise until 4:14 a.m. in the morning. We first thought it was the A/C so we shut it down. Then the A/C wouldn't come back on. So, to sum it up: Hot room with noise on a tiny bed. I was ready to sleep on the floor but the room is tiny.
Some say in their reviews there is coffee. Well, not in this room. And of course, WIFI was not working.
Second, the service. I mentioned these items to the front desk and the young lady said, "Oh, I am sorry."....silence......nothing past sorry. I thought I was in Europe for a second...but even in Europe they would have asked how your stay was before I had to approach them about it. Just odd mentality for a hotel. Even my mechanic asks how things are going with my car...

Room Tip: Factor in the expense of parking and you will want to stay elsewhere.
Green Features: Good environmental practices....but done, at times, at the expense of comfort.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear 4service,

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us celebrating your anniversary. As you referenced the many other reviews that reflect how we typically meet or exceed guest expectations, it seems as those we fell flat during your stay. From your description, the room you reserved was the Business Class room with a full size bed. These rooms are the most economical. We are currently working to add coffee makers to these rooms and expect to have this complete by the end of May when 100% of our rooms would offer in room coffee.

I welcome the opportunity for you to contact me directly so I might learn more specifics about your stay, It is only through feedback that we can learn what we are getting right and where we have opportunity to improve.

Respectfully yours,

Hotel Shattuck Plaza, home to FIVE
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in April 2013 while he was on a business trip. The staff is friendly and always willing to help, which was very important to us because we wanted to use the BART and other transportation to go to/from San Fran on most days for sightseeing. The room was very small, but we were rarely in it, so this didn't pose a problem. I also ordered room service one day. They were friendly and prompt and brought extra tea for me; however, their yogurt and granola parfait had no granola...only fruit and yogurt, which was a bit of a let-down. It was all still delicious though. Finally, I have to comment on the curtains in the room. They were WONDERFUL at blocking out light so that we could sleep at night (we can't stand normal hotel curtains that leave the room lit up in the middle of the night). Our only 2 suggestions for improvement are that the internet should be more reliable and that they room service orders should contain what the menu states they will contain. Overall, everyone was helpful and friendly, the accommodations were nice, and we would return here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Booked four nights on hotwire.com. Got good rate.

The hotel is wonderful. Great location, great service, clean and secure. Bar was nice for late night drink.

Staff was eager to assist and please. Rooms are smallish but well done.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear MarylandADK_lover

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza. We are thrilled that so many of our attributes met your expectations, especially our team who was eager deliver genuine hospitality.

We hope to welcome you in the near future!

Best regards,

Hotel Shattuck Plaza, home to FIVE
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The room was incredibly small; no mini bar, no bathrobe, one skimpy bath towel. Good Internet. Friendly staff at check in. Pleasant staff in lobby bar which closed early. Room service hours were Hicksville - 6:30 am till 9. I ordered breakfast for 6:30 am so I could leave for an early flight, but was told staff didn't arrive till 6:30 so a delivery at that time was not possible. I complained and breakfast was actually delivered at 6:30 and I tipped very well. But the comfort and service level were worse than at an airport hotel I was once forced by travel contingencies to stay at.

Room Tip: Choose a good room by staying elsewhere. Even a Motel 6 has to be better
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear MisterTNewYork,

We apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. It is possible that you reserved a business class room, which there are 17 of these in the hotel. They are smaller, but the most economical. It seems as though we missed placing an extra towel in your room and have followed up with the housekeeping team. We are also looking a the room service hours offered as we do have limited menu offerings in the off hours versus the full menu during the time we are open in the restaurant. We do appreciate that you found our team friendly and pleasant and that our internet met your expectations.

It is through feedback such as yours that we learn what we get right and what opportunities we have to improve.

Kindest regards,

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!