“Great Location in Downtown Berkeley” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Beverly Hills, California
“Great Location in Downtown Berkeley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights while visiting UC Berkeley and the location can't be beat if you're looking for something in the heart of town. It's just a block or two from campus, adjacent to the BART station and walking distance to many great restaurants. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a large corner suite which was nice and spacious. My only complaint is the bathroom had no space for toiletries and there was a bit of street noise in the evenings (not so much that it disrupted sleep). There's no hotel parking but the concierge recommended a very nice and secure parking garage just a block away when i made the reservation. Otherwise, very clean, comfortable, spacious and very friendly and efficient staff. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want super quiet ask for rooms away from Shattuck Ave.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear mintchip17:

Thank you for your positive review about your stay with us while visiting on a college tour. Our location is central to Berkeley and exploring the Bay Area and being at the door steps to Gourmet Ghetto is hard to resist.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Hotel Shattuck Plaza!

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Eureka, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The stay at the Hotel was just perfect. I was pleasantly surprised and highly recommend it. The staff from Josh, the Doorman when I arrived to Michael when we left were so helpful. Dining was excellent - normally I don't eat in a hotel, like to waunder around the town but the food was excellent and service was over the top in the professionalism of Guillermo. He was the consumate professional. Ramon was also excellent. Rooms were nice - loved the shower. Stayed on the 5th floor for quiet and the inside rooms at night have the sound of the hotel's heating and air conditioner equipment but that was the only downside. Will opt for an outside room next time.
Biggest plus is how absolutely friendly and cheery every single person we came in contact with was. I was very impressed.

Room Tip: Top floor and not over the roof area that has all the heating/air conditioning equipment. That is wh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear PGEureka:

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and are humbled that you named so many of our team that made your experience truly remarkable. We have shared your review with them and made sure that they have been recognized for creating such a compelling experience during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Shattuck Plaza!

southwest Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My son and I stayed in this hotel on our college tour. We were looking at UC- Berkeley. This hotel was perfect as it was a block from the BART station and about 2 blocks from UC- Berkeley. The hotel is beautiful and very comfortable. The only thing I did not appreciate is that an extra $100 that was tacked on the bill for incidentals that was not mentioned at check in. Only after I asked about it at check out was this explained. I would have appreciated if this had been mentioned. Otherwise was very satisfied with stay.

Room Tip: Higher is better as there is a lot of street noise.
Dear mjcrooksmomof3:

Thank for sharing on Trip Advisor about your experience and that our location worked for your college tour. Feedback like yours helps us to know what we get right and what we can work on.

We hope to see you again when travels bring you back to the Bay Area!

Orleans, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I think the best of many great things was that every person involved was interested and helpful, tremendous customer service attitude! Wish all hotels were like this! Best I have been to in a long time! More than exceeded my expectations!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Husto,

Thank you for making us your first review! We are honored to have created such a compelling experience for you and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Best regards,

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The rooms were mostly clean and well appointed and the location is great, but there were so many problems. First, they gave me a $15 discount on my room. I thought it was because I was local, but later realized they anticipated problems with my room. First, the heat/air did not work. The power turned on but none of the buttons worked. Same with the bathroom - the light buttons did not work correctly.

I found a hair on my bed cover. There were HUGE A/C/heating units directly outside of my windows. The kicker was that there were water pipes for the whole floor running through my walls, so whenever anyone used the water, it sounded like a freight train ran through the room - every ten minutes ALL NIGHT LONG. To top it off, I could hear every word my neighbors said, and every door shut on the floor. I literally got 3 hours sleep.

When I complained, they barely apologized and didn't offer to let me speak to a manager or offer any sort of recompense. They acted like the water pipes were news to them, yet multiple people complain about it on this site (wish I'd read up on the place first). Now I know why I got $15 off - they had problems with that room. I don't need $15 - I needed a safe and peaceful place to sleep after having one of the worst days of my life. That room should have been free. instead I was told that 'next time' would be better. What next time? I live locally, and need a place to refer friends to. I also need a hotel to stay at for a week while my home is remodeled. It won't be here.

The final straw was that it was Easter Sunday, and they offered a brunch menu that was advertised in each room's hotel guide. But when I went to the restaurant (which only had 3 tables dining), I was told that the ENTIRE restaurant was closed ALL DAY. so basically I didn't even have anywhere to eat, and much of this hotel's reputation is supposed to be the restaurant. When I checked in the night before, it was full of 20-30'somethings partying and picking each other up.

I doubt management will reply to me directly, but if they would like to offer recompense, my phone number is in the system - room #249 on 3/30/2013.

Room Tip: DO NOT rent room #249. Also, many of the rooms on the 2nd floor get walked past by everyone using th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
The Flatlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hotel Shattuck was renovated not too long ago after a fire, and it shows: it is polished and modern. However, the lobby is a little cramped, as is the reception desk. This is not such a big problem except during the busy hours, when you'll be rubbing shoulders waiting on line to check in, or fighting for a table/seat to hang out with your guests. But this is a small drawback to be in a wonderful town. Shattuck's main competition is Durant, which beats it in the lobby spaciousness area. But I think in terms of room quality, Shattuck is the clear winner.

The room I had was very comfortable, and I could sleep well (when I wasn't working). The room lights required the room keycard to operate. This could help you keep track of the keycard's whereabout. There wasn't a good place for the luggage rack in my room. There was a walk-in closet, but for some reason they decided to put a dresser in there, so there was no space for the rack. I especially liked the bathroom. The sink bowl was elevated, which was just at the right height and prevents splashing. I liked the soap with the big hole in the middle (supposed to be environmentally sound, as short-term hotel guests never work down to the "core" of the soap.) The bathtub was new and clean. The big mirrors helped me look my best. The toilet was quiet.

My room faced the street (Shattuck), and the noise could be a problem for those who want to go to bed early. This also meant convenience -- restaurants and stores (including a Walgreen's across the street) were nearby. During my stay there was some sort of event with a lot of high schoolers, and so the hotel was noisy for that reason. It was both cute and sad to see the tuxes and prom dresses on teenage kids, but I digress.

The hotel was off a busy street, and so the elevators were keycard-activated to keep out the riffraffs that populate the streets of Berkeley. So don't forget your keycard!

The printing setup in the hotel was kind of a pain, but the staff was very helpful. At the end the reception desk printed my business documents for me on their printer. Kudos!

The fitness room is small. It has a few treadmills and a range of dumbbells.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Flatlander2011,

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay in November of last year. We love feedback as it tells us what guests enjoy about their stay and where we can improve. We enjoy our central location as you mentioned transportation and diversity of great cuisine is all walk able. We now have partnership with the YMCA across from the hotel and guests can purchase a day pass for $10. I am interested in your printing situation and hope you can email me about some specific details.

The only thing we are confused about is the mention of a fire. The hotel was distressed and needed a renovation which is why we focused on the quality of the renovation and trying to provide a comfortable and welcoming experience.

Thank you again for your positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Hotel Shattuck Plaza is a gem of a hotel. It is in a renovated building that has old-school appeal and feel.

The lobby is small, you check in via 2 stands. To the right side sits a Michelin rated restaurant which is quite good and is complimented with excellent service.

Up the small elevator and you are deposited into a corridor of vibrant colors that are rarely found in hotels. The palette is lively and lends to a good "feel" of the property. The room I had was small though very well maintained and decorated. It included a king bed, a smaller wall-mounted flat screen TV, a clock radio with an iPod dock, and an over-sized bathroom with marble floors and a large shower stall. Despite the size of the bathroom counter space for your toiletry kit, etc, is limited and forced me to use the toilet tank as a shelf.

The bed was quite comfortable and the heating/cooling system worked well (it is activated by your room key BTW). There is no room safe so keep that in mind if you use hotel room safes to store valuables.

There is no parking at the hotel so you are relegated to street parking. A parking garage is across and down a bit from the hotel but it is a separately-owned business and it is not 24/7. A number of restaurants are located within walking distance of the hotel (you will see some of the seedier side of Berkeley if you walk the neighborhood) and Cal is just a few blocks north of the property so location-wise it is spot on. Noise filters into the room easily so you'll hear police sirens and other street sounds, and on my particular Sunday morning at 8AM, a generator being used by someone out front.

Overall - Hotel Shattuck Plaza is a nice property marred by a lack of parking and smaller rooms. However, it is nicely decorated and maintained so the negatives hardly play a factor in my decision to return during my next trip to Berkeley.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear BlueSpinnaker,

We appreciate you sharing about your experience while a guest at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza. We are installing safes alter this year and continue to try and find a solution to parking that won’t cost you $40-$60 like in SF.

We look forward to your next stay and until then safe travels.

Kindest regards.

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!