“Nice Hotel in a city with very few options” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Oxnard, California
“Nice Hotel in a city with very few options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Shattuck Plaza was fine and a fairvalue for the rate we paid as we visited our son who is a grad student at Cal Berkeley. We requested a room with a bay view and were accomodated. We had a nice view of the Golden Gate Bridge. the hotel was refurbished a few years ago and is immaculately clean. The room was nicely done but very small. There was little storage space for clothing and the bathroom fit only one of us at a time. The problem in Berkeley is that there are very limited choices, especially in the city near the university. My guess is that the Shattuck Plazqa is probablt the best option, especially if you don't have a car as the BART staion is right outside. I suspect we will stay here again when we visit Berkeley again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Montclair, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for just over a week with an adjoining room for our three kids and have a lot of great things to say. Very welcoming and attentive staff, clean, comfortable rooms, well decorated and comfortable public spaces. Good new equipment in the exercise room (although a bathroom available during exercise would be nice). The restaurant food was very good and the staff friendly and flexible with the kids' likes and dislikes. Like everyone else, we found the street noise more than we woud like and some better soundproofing on the windows would do a lot of good. Great location next to BART, shops, restaurants, movie theaters, campus, etc. We used the garage across the street; totally fine for our needs although it would be great if the hotel had some kind of deal with the garage so we could go in and out without starting a new fee session each time. All in all, a very welcoming and pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: If you want to ensure quiet be specific with staff and request a room away from the street, the gym...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ojai, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for a few days before Christmas while visiting my daughter. It is conveniently located near the Downtown Berkeley BART station in a beautiful old building downtown. The first room I stayed in was very small, but what it lacked in size it made up for in charm. It was a corner room, and I had windows on two separate walls, which made it seem larger. On my last night there I needed a larger room. This room was facing Shattuck, and unfortunately not as quiet as the first room. Every evening in the lobby there were fresh cookies and hot spiced cider. All in all, it was a very nice place to stay during the holidays.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hilo, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The location is great and there aren't many other options so that's its big plus. It seems to be trying to look like a luxury hotel; I’ve heard it used to be not-so-good and was recently renovated. Unfortunately, the money spent on bells and whistles (e.g. input plugs for the TV built into the wall) would have been better spent on soundproof glass so that one could sleep past 6:30 in the morning, when I wrote most of this review. Most of the rooms face Shattuck Ave, so there's not much chance of escaping the road noise that starts early in the morning. And while the walls are solid, thick, and block all sound, the doors between rooms are extremely thin, meaning that if your neighbor is watching hyperactive Japanese cartoons early in the morning, you'll hear them too.

Many of the details seem to have been done without anybody actually seeing how they work when somebody sleeps in the room. For example, the clock radio is quite nice with an iPod dock. But it also has such an incredibly bright backlight on the clock that it lights up the whole room and you have to put something in front of it in order to sleep on that side of the bed. I had to look up the manual on the internet just to figure out how to set the time (I guess the makers figure the power will never go out?) and dim the light. Likewise, they proudly point out that they have down comforters and high-quality sheets. Except that in between the two is a heavy, coarsely-knitted blanket with a high-relief honeycomb pattern. Did no one sleep under it and notice, "hey, this feels like a bunch of overweight chickens standing all over my body"?

The beds are short-sheeted as standard; this seems to be common in most hotels, and is something I find baffling. It means the housekeepers put a lot of effort into something which I then have to put a lot of effort into to undo. Am I unusual in wanting my sheet, blanket, and comforter to be the same length? Do most people out there bring the sheet up over their head but the comforter only up to their waist?

Finally, they say they pride themselves on service. However, when I went down and pointed out shortly after checking in that several of the lights in my room didn't work, they claimed that it was due to a power outage in the building and that the backup generator wasn’t capable of running everything. I'll take their word that that was true (the internet was down at the time), but when I pointed out that generators seemed to be capable of powering every single other light in the building except for these small ones above the bed, and that these seemed to have been partly pulled out and hanging loose, they replied "oh no, that's how it's supposed to be; and those lights are on a special system, so they're still not on." Of course, in the morning and for the next three days, the internet was back up, and unsurprisingly the lights still didn’t work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is reasonably priced, well maintained, and right next to the downtown Berkeley BART station. A short BART ride takes you into SF. There are a lot of restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries up and down Stattuck and University Ave. U.C. Berkeley is only a block away. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and new. This is my second stay and I would highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was my first trip to Berkeley and the Hotel Shattuck Plaza came very highly recommended. I had a great corner room with 2 flat screen TVs on the 5th floor. Although the view in one direction wasn't great I could see San Francisco from the other. The heater was located in the center of the vestibule so certain parts of the room didn't warm up as easily and the bathroom floor was always cold. A keurig machine was in the room as well as 2 bottles of water so i was a happy camper. Thankfully, there was also a walgreens across the street so I could buy some mouthwash, I'm sure my client was also thankful. The bed was very comfortable and there was ample space for my toiletries next to the sink and on the shelf above (pet peeve). The staff seemed a bit disinterested during check-in and check-out but no big whoop. I also have to say that breakfast at FIVE was fantastic for a hotel restaurant. The staff took my order promptly, kept the coffee flowing and food was delivered quickly. They also had by far some of the best breakfast potatoes I have had in a long time. Will definitely return on my next visit to the area!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

No room to open a suitcase, no closet, no drawers or shelves except two tiny drawers at floor level in a very small wardrobe. Too dark to read with every light on. Reception desk unstaffed at 6 pm, no sign, no apology when they came back 10 min later. Clean, modern bathroom. I do like boutique hotels, but this was devoid of both charm and comfort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Weary W,

Thank you for your feedback. We do regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. Only a few of our rooms have this configuration and I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further so we can update your reservation information to make sure you receive a different room.

Kindest regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!