“trying to be really good, but not quite there” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Hilo, Hawaii
“trying to be really good, but not quite there”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The location is great and there aren't many other options so that's its big plus. It seems to be trying to look like a luxury hotel; I’ve heard it used to be not-so-good and was recently renovated. Unfortunately, the money spent on bells and whistles (e.g. input plugs for the TV built into the wall) would have been better spent on soundproof glass so that one could sleep past 6:30 in the morning, when I wrote most of this review. Most of the rooms face Shattuck Ave, so there's not much chance of escaping the road noise that starts early in the morning. And while the walls are solid, thick, and block all sound, the doors between rooms are extremely thin, meaning that if your neighbor is watching hyperactive Japanese cartoons early in the morning, you'll hear them too.

Many of the details seem to have been done without anybody actually seeing how they work when somebody sleeps in the room. For example, the clock radio is quite nice with an iPod dock. But it also has such an incredibly bright backlight on the clock that it lights up the whole room and you have to put something in front of it in order to sleep on that side of the bed. I had to look up the manual on the internet just to figure out how to set the time (I guess the makers figure the power will never go out?) and dim the light. Likewise, they proudly point out that they have down comforters and high-quality sheets. Except that in between the two is a heavy, coarsely-knitted blanket with a high-relief honeycomb pattern. Did no one sleep under it and notice, "hey, this feels like a bunch of overweight chickens standing all over my body"?

The beds are short-sheeted as standard; this seems to be common in most hotels, and is something I find baffling. It means the housekeepers put a lot of effort into something which I then have to put a lot of effort into to undo. Am I unusual in wanting my sheet, blanket, and comforter to be the same length? Do most people out there bring the sheet up over their head but the comforter only up to their waist?

Finally, they say they pride themselves on service. However, when I went down and pointed out shortly after checking in that several of the lights in my room didn't work, they claimed that it was due to a power outage in the building and that the backup generator wasn’t capable of running everything. I'll take their word that that was true (the internet was down at the time), but when I pointed out that generators seemed to be capable of powering every single other light in the building except for these small ones above the bed, and that these seemed to have been partly pulled out and hanging loose, they replied "oh no, that's how it's supposed to be; and those lights are on a special system, so they're still not on." Of course, in the morning and for the next three days, the internet was back up, and unsurprisingly the lights still didn’t work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

611 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is reasonably priced, well maintained, and right next to the downtown Berkeley BART station. A short BART ride takes you into SF. There are a lot of restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries up and down Stattuck and University Ave. U.C. Berkeley is only a block away. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and new. This is my second stay and I would highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was my first trip to Berkeley and the Hotel Shattuck Plaza came very highly recommended. I had a great corner room with 2 flat screen TVs on the 5th floor. Although the view in one direction wasn't great I could see San Francisco from the other. The heater was located in the center of the vestibule so certain parts of the room didn't warm up as easily and the bathroom floor was always cold. A keurig machine was in the room as well as 2 bottles of water so i was a happy camper. Thankfully, there was also a walgreens across the street so I could buy some mouthwash, I'm sure my client was also thankful. The bed was very comfortable and there was ample space for my toiletries next to the sink and on the shelf above (pet peeve). The staff seemed a bit disinterested during check-in and check-out but no big whoop. I also have to say that breakfast at FIVE was fantastic for a hotel restaurant. The staff took my order promptly, kept the coffee flowing and food was delivered quickly. They also had by far some of the best breakfast potatoes I have had in a long time. Will definitely return on my next visit to the area!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

No room to open a suitcase, no closet, no drawers or shelves except two tiny drawers at floor level in a very small wardrobe. Too dark to read with every light on. Reception desk unstaffed at 6 pm, no sign, no apology when they came back 10 min later. Clean, modern bathroom. I do like boutique hotels, but this was devoid of both charm and comfort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Weary W,

Thank you for your feedback. We do regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. Only a few of our rooms have this configuration and I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further so we can update your reservation information to make sure you receive a different room.

Kindest regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Whenever we want to spend the night in the Bay Area, this is our home away from home. The beds are exceedingly comfortable, the rooms beautiful, and staff delightful, the food at Five is always fabulous, and it's right at a BART station. The dining room is a work or art, and the butterscotch pudding is a religious experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear EMCFrog,

We were thrilled to read your review and Chef Banks was delighted to know how much you love his family recipe for Butterscotch pudding. We look forward to welcoming you back and providing an experience that is like being home again.

Best regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was scheduled to stay here for a business trip to Berkeley and found it fairly easily after a drive from SFO (traffic notwithstanding!). I was intially given a handicap room which was really small with a nice sized bathroom. I called the front desk and they were extremely nice and came up to show me another room which was really nice and much larger. The only downside was that it was along Shattuck Ave which was fairly noisy (even though I was on the 5th floor). The hotel did forewarn me and I said that I was so tired, it didn't matter. After that, I went downstairs and had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel (Bistro Five) which was EXCELLENT. The rest of the trip was very smooth and the hotel is really close to UC Berkeley which is where I was meeting. Also, be forewarned that the hotel has no parking available and you need to park in a parking garage nearby which is $35 per night.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room that does not border Shattuck Avenue. At 11:30 pm, I was...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chesterfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in September while visiting my daughter at school. The location is fantastic! We were in walking distance to Slow, Chez Panisse, the campus, Telegraph Street, and the BART. It was nice to be close enough to meet our daughter for a meal or a quick walk in between her classes. We did not go to the restaurant, but it was pretty crowded all 3 nights we were there. Our first room had a very large bathroom, and a smaller bedroom. At our request, we were given an alternate room which was larger. Be sure to ask if you aren't satisfied with your room. Our room faced Shattuck, where I could thoroughly enjoy the sights and sounds of Berkeley.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!