“Great location” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is reasonably priced, well maintained, and right next to the downtown Berkeley BART station. A short BART ride takes you into SF. There are a lot of restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries up and down Stattuck and University Ave. U.C. Berkeley is only a block away. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and new. This is my second stay and I would highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was my first trip to Berkeley and the Hotel Shattuck Plaza came very highly recommended. I had a great corner room with 2 flat screen TVs on the 5th floor. Although the view in one direction wasn't great I could see San Francisco from the other. The heater was located in the center of the vestibule so certain parts of the room didn't warm up as easily and the bathroom floor was always cold. A keurig machine was in the room as well as 2 bottles of water so i was a happy camper. Thankfully, there was also a walgreens across the street so I could buy some mouthwash, I'm sure my client was also thankful. The bed was very comfortable and there was ample space for my toiletries next to the sink and on the shelf above (pet peeve). The staff seemed a bit disinterested during check-in and check-out but no big whoop. I also have to say that breakfast at FIVE was fantastic for a hotel restaurant. The staff took my order promptly, kept the coffee flowing and food was delivered quickly. They also had by far some of the best breakfast potatoes I have had in a long time. Will definitely return on my next visit to the area!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

No room to open a suitcase, no closet, no drawers or shelves except two tiny drawers at floor level in a very small wardrobe. Too dark to read with every light on. Reception desk unstaffed at 6 pm, no sign, no apology when they came back 10 min later. Clean, modern bathroom. I do like boutique hotels, but this was devoid of both charm and comfort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Weary W,

Thank you for your feedback. We do regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. Only a few of our rooms have this configuration and I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further so we can update your reservation information to make sure you receive a different room.

Kindest regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Whenever we want to spend the night in the Bay Area, this is our home away from home. The beds are exceedingly comfortable, the rooms beautiful, and staff delightful, the food at Five is always fabulous, and it's right at a BART station. The dining room is a work or art, and the butterscotch pudding is a religious experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear EMCFrog,

We were thrilled to read your review and Chef Banks was delighted to know how much you love his family recipe for Butterscotch pudding. We look forward to welcoming you back and providing an experience that is like being home again.

Best regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was scheduled to stay here for a business trip to Berkeley and found it fairly easily after a drive from SFO (traffic notwithstanding!). I was intially given a handicap room which was really small with a nice sized bathroom. I called the front desk and they were extremely nice and came up to show me another room which was really nice and much larger. The only downside was that it was along Shattuck Ave which was fairly noisy (even though I was on the 5th floor). The hotel did forewarn me and I said that I was so tired, it didn't matter. After that, I went downstairs and had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel (Bistro Five) which was EXCELLENT. The rest of the trip was very smooth and the hotel is really close to UC Berkeley which is where I was meeting. Also, be forewarned that the hotel has no parking available and you need to park in a parking garage nearby which is $35 per night.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room that does not border Shattuck Avenue. At 11:30 pm, I was...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chesterfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in September while visiting my daughter at school. The location is fantastic! We were in walking distance to Slow, Chez Panisse, the campus, Telegraph Street, and the BART. It was nice to be close enough to meet our daughter for a meal or a quick walk in between her classes. We did not go to the restaurant, but it was pretty crowded all 3 nights we were there. Our first room had a very large bathroom, and a smaller bedroom. At our request, we were given an alternate room which was larger. Be sure to ask if you aren't satisfied with your room. Our room faced Shattuck, where I could thoroughly enjoy the sights and sounds of Berkeley.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

When the hotels in San Francisco get booked up because of the endless series of conventions, I just stay in Berkeley and use BART to get back and forth quickly (I don't like paying more than $200/night, but I aim for a 4-star experience). The Shattuck Plaza is -- quite literally -- across the street from the Downtown Berkeley BART stop and in the heart of Berkeley's restaurant district (yes, a few homeless gather there, but even when I arrived on BART well after midnight, there were many others getting off BART at the same stop, and the area is well lit). Beautiful old building nicely restored just a few years ago with some fun and funky common-area finishes. Rooms are smallish, as expected in a 100-year-old hotel. But the decor is extremely well done so the accommodations feel current but cozy. Like nice European hotels, if you aren't happy with the room you're assigned, and there's alternate availability, they will gladly show you options. And do look if you're unsatisfied with your first assignment. Different rooms have different configurations, different bathroom sizes and variable angles on the TV (e.g., in my room, the TV wasn't on an extendable swivel so the viewing angle from the bed wasn't ideal). All bathrooms that I saw were very small (room for one)...but done up with first-class finishes. Only suggestion I would make is for management to install a magnifying make-up mirror in the bathroom as well as a full-length mirror somewhere in the room (e.g., back of the closet door). View from my room was a spectacular -- albeit distant -- panoroma of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco skyline (but I'd focus more on a room you like v. a view you'll enjoy once or twice briefly). Spectacular sunsets my first evening there. While I'm not a fan of the on-site restaurant, the hotel is a great place to stay while visiting Berkeley or San Francisco.

Room Tip: Most rooms that face San Francisco (West) also overlook all of the rooftop AC units [perhaps a few r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!