“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Rosa, California
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Whenever we want to spend the night in the Bay Area, this is our home away from home. The beds are exceedingly comfortable, the rooms beautiful, and staff delightful, the food at Five is always fabulous, and it's right at a BART station. The dining room is a work or art, and the butterscotch pudding is a religious experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear EMCFrog,

We were thrilled to read your review and Chef Banks was delighted to know how much you love his family recipe for Butterscotch pudding. We look forward to welcoming you back and providing an experience that is like being home again.

Best regards,

Greg

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704

627 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was scheduled to stay here for a business trip to Berkeley and found it fairly easily after a drive from SFO (traffic notwithstanding!). I was intially given a handicap room which was really small with a nice sized bathroom. I called the front desk and they were extremely nice and came up to show me another room which was really nice and much larger. The only downside was that it was along Shattuck Ave which was fairly noisy (even though I was on the 5th floor). The hotel did forewarn me and I said that I was so tired, it didn't matter. After that, I went downstairs and had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel (Bistro Five) which was EXCELLENT. The rest of the trip was very smooth and the hotel is really close to UC Berkeley which is where I was meeting. Also, be forewarned that the hotel has no parking available and you need to park in a parking garage nearby which is $35 per night.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room that does not border Shattuck Avenue. At 11:30 pm, I was...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chesterfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in September while visiting my daughter at school. The location is fantastic! We were in walking distance to Slow, Chez Panisse, the campus, Telegraph Street, and the BART. It was nice to be close enough to meet our daughter for a meal or a quick walk in between her classes. We did not go to the restaurant, but it was pretty crowded all 3 nights we were there. Our first room had a very large bathroom, and a smaller bedroom. At our request, we were given an alternate room which was larger. Be sure to ask if you aren't satisfied with your room. Our room faced Shattuck, where I could thoroughly enjoy the sights and sounds of Berkeley.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

When the hotels in San Francisco get booked up because of the endless series of conventions, I just stay in Berkeley and use BART to get back and forth quickly (I don't like paying more than $200/night, but I aim for a 4-star experience). The Shattuck Plaza is -- quite literally -- across the street from the Downtown Berkeley BART stop and in the heart of Berkeley's restaurant district (yes, a few homeless gather there, but even when I arrived on BART well after midnight, there were many others getting off BART at the same stop, and the area is well lit). Beautiful old building nicely restored just a few years ago with some fun and funky common-area finishes. Rooms are smallish, as expected in a 100-year-old hotel. But the decor is extremely well done so the accommodations feel current but cozy. Like nice European hotels, if you aren't happy with the room you're assigned, and there's alternate availability, they will gladly show you options. And do look if you're unsatisfied with your first assignment. Different rooms have different configurations, different bathroom sizes and variable angles on the TV (e.g., in my room, the TV wasn't on an extendable swivel so the viewing angle from the bed wasn't ideal). All bathrooms that I saw were very small (room for one)...but done up with first-class finishes. Only suggestion I would make is for management to install a magnifying make-up mirror in the bathroom as well as a full-length mirror somewhere in the room (e.g., back of the closet door). View from my room was a spectacular -- albeit distant -- panoroma of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco skyline (but I'd focus more on a room you like v. a view you'll enjoy once or twice briefly). Spectacular sunsets my first evening there. While I'm not a fan of the on-site restaurant, the hotel is a great place to stay while visiting Berkeley or San Francisco.

Room Tip: Most rooms that face San Francisco (West) also overlook all of the rooftop AC units [perhaps a few r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sonoma County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is an older property right in the heart of Berkeley that is really updated and well managed. Great beds, linens, rooms and service. Our room was quiet. Bathrooms are nice-large and we were upgraded to a suite which is always really nice! We chose this property because it had close proximity to the BART station. Was perfect for staying at while we went to the Oakland Coliseum to see Bruce Springsteen. Parking is easy in a garage across the street. We walked to Chez Panisse Cafe - which I highly recommend. Tons of other great restaurants nearby and some nice boutique shopping if you have the inclination. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was very good. I bet the dinner menu there is good as well. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Davis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The staff are your typical snotty, over educated "Berkeley" people who will help you but make you feel like crap while they do it. Loved the hotel, very nice place, but never coming back.. We were a group of college girls staying the night after an event at the hotel. The event for our organization was fun but the treatment we received after the event was horrible! Somehow (we blame ghosts) the deadbolt on our hotel door swung over and locked us out of our own room. It was late (about 12am) and we went to the night shift staff for help opening our door after the event in the hotel ballroom. We waited a total of maybe 2 hours waiting for the one staff member to find objects like swiffer handles to open the door.. while we waited to get in our room, other hotel guests came out to complain to us. One man stayed out in the hallway to watch us "damn college students" disturb the floor outside our room.

The real hotel staff was good and did not charge us for anything did everything they could. During check out however one young man behind the counter pretended to gasp at an "$800 charge on my account". I realized it was a joke quickly but for a second I truly believed I was being charged $800 for us being "disruptive" or whatever and got upset.

Overall had a good experience but don't plan on coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear pkonrad4522,

Thank you for your comments and are glad that you enjoyed most of your stay. We apologize that you felt unwanted by our team member while they were trying to unlatch your safety latch that locked you out of the room. While not impossible, it is uncommon for them to latch by themselves with no one in the room. For good reason these are meant to secure your door and not be easily accessible. All the same, it is never our intention to make our guests feel this way and apologize for doing so. We do hope that you will not let this overshadow your stay and appreciate the feedback as it is the best way for us to know what we got right and what we can improve on.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

All of the staff (front desk, housekeeping, and restaurant) were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and well maintained. We loved having a Keurig coffeemaker in the room for our morning wake-up cup. The room was comfortable and big enough for us (though some might consider it a bit on the small size but not surprising considering the cost of real estate in that area). We liked the room location at the very end of the hall and in a corner since it was quiet. As mentioned in other reviews, parking can be an issue since this is basically downtown. We ended up parking on the street at night and then feeding the meter if we needed to stay after 9 AM the next morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear happyjuneCA,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be helpful and friendly. We look forward to your return visit and wish you all the best in your future travels.

Best regards,

Greg

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!