“Gem in Berkeley” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Gem in Berkeley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

When the hotels in San Francisco get booked up because of the endless series of conventions, I just stay in Berkeley and use BART to get back and forth quickly (I don't like paying more than $200/night, but I aim for a 4-star experience). The Shattuck Plaza is -- quite literally -- across the street from the Downtown Berkeley BART stop and in the heart of Berkeley's restaurant district (yes, a few homeless gather there, but even when I arrived on BART well after midnight, there were many others getting off BART at the same stop, and the area is well lit). Beautiful old building nicely restored just a few years ago with some fun and funky common-area finishes. Rooms are smallish, as expected in a 100-year-old hotel. But the decor is extremely well done so the accommodations feel current but cozy. Like nice European hotels, if you aren't happy with the room you're assigned, and there's alternate availability, they will gladly show you options. And do look if you're unsatisfied with your first assignment. Different rooms have different configurations, different bathroom sizes and variable angles on the TV (e.g., in my room, the TV wasn't on an extendable swivel so the viewing angle from the bed wasn't ideal). All bathrooms that I saw were very small (room for one)...but done up with first-class finishes. Only suggestion I would make is for management to install a magnifying make-up mirror in the bathroom as well as a full-length mirror somewhere in the room (e.g., back of the closet door). View from my room was a spectacular -- albeit distant -- panoroma of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco skyline (but I'd focus more on a room you like v. a view you'll enjoy once or twice briefly). Spectacular sunsets my first evening there. While I'm not a fan of the on-site restaurant, the hotel is a great place to stay while visiting Berkeley or San Francisco.

Room Tip: Most rooms that face San Francisco (West) also overlook all of the rooftop AC units [perhaps a few r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Sonoma County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is an older property right in the heart of Berkeley that is really updated and well managed. Great beds, linens, rooms and service. Our room was quiet. Bathrooms are nice-large and we were upgraded to a suite which is always really nice! We chose this property because it had close proximity to the BART station. Was perfect for staying at while we went to the Oakland Coliseum to see Bruce Springsteen. Parking is easy in a garage across the street. We walked to Chez Panisse Cafe - which I highly recommend. Tons of other great restaurants nearby and some nice boutique shopping if you have the inclination. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was very good. I bet the dinner menu there is good as well. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Davis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The staff are your typical snotty, over educated "Berkeley" people who will help you but make you feel like crap while they do it. Loved the hotel, very nice place, but never coming back.. We were a group of college girls staying the night after an event at the hotel. The event for our organization was fun but the treatment we received after the event was horrible! Somehow (we blame ghosts) the deadbolt on our hotel door swung over and locked us out of our own room. It was late (about 12am) and we went to the night shift staff for help opening our door after the event in the hotel ballroom. We waited a total of maybe 2 hours waiting for the one staff member to find objects like swiffer handles to open the door.. while we waited to get in our room, other hotel guests came out to complain to us. One man stayed out in the hallway to watch us "damn college students" disturb the floor outside our room.

The real hotel staff was good and did not charge us for anything did everything they could. During check out however one young man behind the counter pretended to gasp at an "$800 charge on my account". I realized it was a joke quickly but for a second I truly believed I was being charged $800 for us being "disruptive" or whatever and got upset.

Overall had a good experience but don't plan on coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear pkonrad4522,

Thank you for your comments and are glad that you enjoyed most of your stay. We apologize that you felt unwanted by our team member while they were trying to unlatch your safety latch that locked you out of the room. While not impossible, it is uncommon for them to latch by themselves with no one in the room. For good reason these are meant to secure your door and not be easily accessible. All the same, it is never our intention to make our guests feel this way and apologize for doing so. We do hope that you will not let this overshadow your stay and appreciate the feedback as it is the best way for us to know what we got right and what we can improve on.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

All of the staff (front desk, housekeeping, and restaurant) were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and well maintained. We loved having a Keurig coffeemaker in the room for our morning wake-up cup. The room was comfortable and big enough for us (though some might consider it a bit on the small size but not surprising considering the cost of real estate in that area). We liked the room location at the very end of the hall and in a corner since it was quiet. As mentioned in other reviews, parking can be an issue since this is basically downtown. We ended up parking on the street at night and then feeding the meter if we needed to stay after 9 AM the next morning.

Dear happyjuneCA,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be helpful and friendly. We look forward to your return visit and wish you all the best in your future travels.

Best regards,

MIAMI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

A family get together had us in the Bay area the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and my sister in law from Berkeley recommended this hotel as being reasonable, clean and close to the family events during our 3 day weekend stay.The hotel's recent renovations are reflected in the overall "newness" of everything about the rooms and the public areas, including bright, somewhat "post modern" carpeting and wall paper in the halls.The hotel is a large rabbit's warren of rooms, but the hallway signage is sufficient to point you to your room, even if it feels like you may be walking a city block or two to get there from the elevators. You couldn't ask for a more centrally located address, and we parked our rental car alternately on the street at meters or across the way at the public parking garage(beware the overnight fees). Be prepared for all of Berkeley's street life-good bad and indifferent-a few feet from the front entrance..Our 25 year old son joined us for this trip and we had asked for a cot in the room, which was there on our arrival.The cot was a sturdy rolling single bed, which made for decent sleep for our son, but a major obstruction in the average sized room.The bathroom was accessed through a sliding door, which tended to stick when fully closed. Environmental consciousness(or political correctness-depending on your point of view) was carried to the usual Berkeley extremes in the bathroom with limited water output(but adequate) from the shower, and soap bars which resembled square doughnuts -lacking an(allegedly superfluous) center.On a more troublesome note, however, the shower inside the bathtub lacked any internal or external handrails to grip while entering, or exiting with wet feet(tort lawyers take note!).The room had a closet, but lacked a large chest of drawers to store our clothes.The heat/ac worked well, but, typically, the room lacked any overhead lighting, making it a pain in the rear to turn on and off lights that would assist in navigating the room in the dark or even with one of the lamps illuminated.The hotel has a "fitness center" but it is in a small room with only 3 machines--no exercise bike and one or two treadmills and an elliptical machine.The hotel lacks a conventional lobby or check in desk-sharing space with a sometimes raucous bar and restaurant that are open to the "lobby" area.This posed no issue for us, but I imagine at busy check in/check out times if the bar is busy, it can get hectic there.What most impressed us about the hotel was the generally young, informed, friendly and always helpful staff at the hotel, who always seemed to have a greeting, a smile and and offer to assist with whatever issue you presented to them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear jnr24.

Thank you for sharing about your experience with the Hotel Shattuck Plaza during your family get together. We are always evaluating how we can improve and feedback such as yours helps us understand where we have opportunity to improve. All the same, we are delighted that or team made the primary impression on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back when travels bring you back to the Bay Area.

Kindest regards,

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704
Canyon Country, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Berkeley is a challenging location with extremely limited parking, but the Hotel Shattuck puts you right in the middle of things so that leaving your car and walking becomes a very viable option. I've stayed twice and the front desk staff has always been friendly, attentive and professional. The building is very old which lends the hotel it's charm, but also it's drawbacks, tiny elevators, rooms without much of a view. However the rooms themselves are very chic, sleek and modern. I've yet to try the restaurant but am looking forward to it on my next stay. Our second time at the hotel we had a room right, and I mean right, next to the elevators. We should have asked to be changed, but were only there for an overnight. However, in my online feedback I expressed my disappointment and the manager immediately responded saying that a note had been made to our account and that would not happen. That's what I expect from management and I will definitely be staying there again. It's quite competitively priced with much lesser hotels not being much different. A real gem in a tricky town.

Room Tip: If you get one of the elevator-adjacent rooms, I would definitely ask to be moved. Because the hotel...
Dear OhKellyTravels,

We are grateful you took the time to share about your experience while a guest several times at our hotel. We value feedback as it is the only way we truly know what we are doing right and where we have opportunity. Plus your expericne shows that we do listen and respond. Thank you and we look forward to your next visit and I do encourage you to try FIVE on your next visit.

Best,

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel while attending a conference at the U of California. I must say that given the challenges of being in Berkeley, they do a great job. The hotel is right next to the main street and the Bart station and one block away from UC, so you cannot beat the location. Do keep in mind though that this location means noise: an active student community, a bunch of random Hare Krishnas, homeless people roaming around, lots of party (one of my nights there was a football game). So if you truly need quiet, stay somewhere else in the Bay Area and take the Bart. It also means there will be a lot of noisy guests and a lots of jerks acting up in the bar and the rooms (I suffered a few of those during my stay). The lobby is always packed, and definitely not for the use of guests. It rather seems to be completely subservient to the bar, which looks like a place a lot of people like to frequent every day. If you can put up with this (which is not at all the fault of the hotel) I do not think you can do better.
The accomodatiosn were the best. I stayed in a luxury king room and it was wonderful, lots of space, comfortable bed. The shower is small (and I am a tall and probably bigger guy than most people in Berkeley) but I fit just fine. Internet is free, speedy and very reliable, which is great news. The cable package is too limited, and it could be upgraded further, but most hotels of this star level tend to have limited packages. The room is equipped with a Keurig and coffee (tea would have been nice, but I bought some pods and it was OK). The toiletries are very Berkeley (labeled as to how you are saving the environment by using them, which is adorable or annoying depending on the person) but there is a Walgreen's right across the street if you want your regular, chemical-laden stuff.
Some friends stayed in the business rooms and I found them a tad too crammed, the upgrade to luxury is worth the money.
The desk staff was generally good, with one exception. During my arrival it was very courteous, but the departure day the person in the front desk was a little disinterested in me or the other guests. More importantly, the printers for boarding passes were not working and the guy did not even bother when he saw I was struggling with it. The only other complaint (and this is why I gave a four rather than a five in the rating) is that every single time I came up and down the stairs I found dirty dishes from room service. I reported it the first time (and they were promptly removed) but I just desisted afterwards.
Having said this, the restaurant and the bar in the hotel are stellar. We had food in the restaurant and it was Americana food served with local ingredients. Nothing too creative, but everything delicious. The bar serves mean cocktails. A friend of mine and I ran a 90 dollar tab with the cocktails and it was worth every penny. They make excellent pisco sours and I tell you it's packed with good reason.
So all-in-all, if you have to stay in Berkeley, this is the absolute best hotel: fun, quirky, centrally located, good services, great rooms. But Berkeley is Berkeley. Don't blame the hotel for it.

Room Tip: Skip the business and get a luxury.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nachosapr.

We are delighted that you had an overall positive experience while a guest at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza and our restaurant and lounge FIVE. Feedback such as yours has us in the process of adding tea to the beverages offered with the Keurig and expect to have it added by end of the year. We are also working with our content provider to expand or television programming offerings. We apologize that you service you received at departure did not meet what you experienced at arrival and will review this with our team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon and thank you for your comments.

Kindest regards,

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!