“Berkeley's best?” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
MIAMI
“Berkeley's best?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

A family get together had us in the Bay area the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and my sister in law from Berkeley recommended this hotel as being reasonable, clean and close to the family events during our 3 day weekend stay.The hotel's recent renovations are reflected in the overall "newness" of everything about the rooms and the public areas, including bright, somewhat "post modern" carpeting and wall paper in the halls.The hotel is a large rabbit's warren of rooms, but the hallway signage is sufficient to point you to your room, even if it feels like you may be walking a city block or two to get there from the elevators. You couldn't ask for a more centrally located address, and we parked our rental car alternately on the street at meters or across the way at the public parking garage(beware the overnight fees). Be prepared for all of Berkeley's street life-good bad and indifferent-a few feet from the front entrance..Our 25 year old son joined us for this trip and we had asked for a cot in the room, which was there on our arrival.The cot was a sturdy rolling single bed, which made for decent sleep for our son, but a major obstruction in the average sized room.The bathroom was accessed through a sliding door, which tended to stick when fully closed. Environmental consciousness(or political correctness-depending on your point of view) was carried to the usual Berkeley extremes in the bathroom with limited water output(but adequate) from the shower, and soap bars which resembled square doughnuts -lacking an(allegedly superfluous) center.On a more troublesome note, however, the shower inside the bathtub lacked any internal or external handrails to grip while entering, or exiting with wet feet(tort lawyers take note!).The room had a closet, but lacked a large chest of drawers to store our clothes.The heat/ac worked well, but, typically, the room lacked any overhead lighting, making it a pain in the rear to turn on and off lights that would assist in navigating the room in the dark or even with one of the lamps illuminated.The hotel has a "fitness center" but it is in a small room with only 3 machines--no exercise bike and one or two treadmills and an elliptical machine.The hotel lacks a conventional lobby or check in desk-sharing space with a sometimes raucous bar and restaurant that are open to the "lobby" area.This posed no issue for us, but I imagine at busy check in/check out times if the bar is busy, it can get hectic there.What most impressed us about the hotel was the generally young, informed, friendly and always helpful staff at the hotel, who always seemed to have a greeting, a smile and and offer to assist with whatever issue you presented to them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear jnr24.

Thank you for sharing about your experience with the Hotel Shattuck Plaza during your family get together. We are always evaluating how we can improve and feedback such as yours helps us understand where we have opportunity to improve. All the same, we are delighted that or team made the primary impression on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back when travels bring you back to the Bay Area.

627 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Canyon Country, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Berkeley is a challenging location with extremely limited parking, but the Hotel Shattuck puts you right in the middle of things so that leaving your car and walking becomes a very viable option. I've stayed twice and the front desk staff has always been friendly, attentive and professional. The building is very old which lends the hotel it's charm, but also it's drawbacks, tiny elevators, rooms without much of a view. However the rooms themselves are very chic, sleek and modern. I've yet to try the restaurant but am looking forward to it on my next stay. Our second time at the hotel we had a room right, and I mean right, next to the elevators. We should have asked to be changed, but were only there for an overnight. However, in my online feedback I expressed my disappointment and the manager immediately responded saying that a note had been made to our account and that would not happen. That's what I expect from management and I will definitely be staying there again. It's quite competitively priced with much lesser hotels not being much different. A real gem in a tricky town.

Room Tip: If you get one of the elevator-adjacent rooms, I would definitely ask to be moved. Because the hotel...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear OhKellyTravels,

We are grateful you took the time to share about your experience while a guest several times at our hotel. We value feedback as it is the only way we truly know what we are doing right and where we have opportunity. Plus your expericne shows that we do listen and respond. Thank you and we look forward to your next visit and I do encourage you to try FIVE on your next visit.

Best,

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel while attending a conference at the U of California. I must say that given the challenges of being in Berkeley, they do a great job. The hotel is right next to the main street and the Bart station and one block away from UC, so you cannot beat the location. Do keep in mind though that this location means noise: an active student community, a bunch of random Hare Krishnas, homeless people roaming around, lots of party (one of my nights there was a football game). So if you truly need quiet, stay somewhere else in the Bay Area and take the Bart. It also means there will be a lot of noisy guests and a lots of jerks acting up in the bar and the rooms (I suffered a few of those during my stay). The lobby is always packed, and definitely not for the use of guests. It rather seems to be completely subservient to the bar, which looks like a place a lot of people like to frequent every day. If you can put up with this (which is not at all the fault of the hotel) I do not think you can do better.
The accomodatiosn were the best. I stayed in a luxury king room and it was wonderful, lots of space, comfortable bed. The shower is small (and I am a tall and probably bigger guy than most people in Berkeley) but I fit just fine. Internet is free, speedy and very reliable, which is great news. The cable package is too limited, and it could be upgraded further, but most hotels of this star level tend to have limited packages. The room is equipped with a Keurig and coffee (tea would have been nice, but I bought some pods and it was OK). The toiletries are very Berkeley (labeled as to how you are saving the environment by using them, which is adorable or annoying depending on the person) but there is a Walgreen's right across the street if you want your regular, chemical-laden stuff.
Some friends stayed in the business rooms and I found them a tad too crammed, the upgrade to luxury is worth the money.
The desk staff was generally good, with one exception. During my arrival it was very courteous, but the departure day the person in the front desk was a little disinterested in me or the other guests. More importantly, the printers for boarding passes were not working and the guy did not even bother when he saw I was struggling with it. The only other complaint (and this is why I gave a four rather than a five in the rating) is that every single time I came up and down the stairs I found dirty dishes from room service. I reported it the first time (and they were promptly removed) but I just desisted afterwards.
Having said this, the restaurant and the bar in the hotel are stellar. We had food in the restaurant and it was Americana food served with local ingredients. Nothing too creative, but everything delicious. The bar serves mean cocktails. A friend of mine and I ran a 90 dollar tab with the cocktails and it was worth every penny. They make excellent pisco sours and I tell you it's packed with good reason.
So all-in-all, if you have to stay in Berkeley, this is the absolute best hotel: fun, quirky, centrally located, good services, great rooms. But Berkeley is Berkeley. Don't blame the hotel for it.

Room Tip: Skip the business and get a luxury.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nachosapr.

We are delighted that you had an overall positive experience while a guest at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza and our restaurant and lounge FIVE. Feedback such as yours has us in the process of adding tea to the beverages offered with the Keurig and expect to have it added by end of the year. We are also working with our content provider to expand or television programming offerings. We apologize that you service you received at departure did not meet what you experienced at arrival and will review this with our team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon and thank you for your comments.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Fanatstic location in Berkley, right next to the BART, great staff/service and contemporary decor. Only reason I ddn't rate it excellent,was due to some in-room design deficiencies: the hand basin area made it impossible to shave/wash your face without either leaning your head down over the basin or alternatively, standing up and getting water all over the floor. SImilarly the internal interconnecting door (to the adjoining room) had too much of a gap at the bottom, meaning I could hear everything from the next room. Despite this, I would recommend the hotel overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We were bowled over by this hotel! Location was in the center of town but rooms were quiet. Only a few steps from the Bart station, so it's easy to get between San Francisco and Berkeley. Fun, upbeat, boutique interior and rooms. Staff was very helpful...especially a gentleman named Kingsley.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Walkroll.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Shattuck Plaza. Thank you for taking the time to recognize one of our team members by name as it helps reinforce what a positive impact we can have during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I booked 4 nights at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza over my wedding weekend. (Quite a number of our wedding guests also stayed over the weekend.) We booked a suite so that we'd have the extra room for getting ready and so our friends and family could visit. Before I go into the actual stay, I just want to say that this hotel wowed me when I went for a visit months earlier. I was very impressed on my visit (and again when we stayed) by the reception staff. AMAZINGLY attentive. As I was crossing the street to the entrance, they opened the door and greeted me before I'd even made it to the sidewalk. My experience with the rest of the reception staff was equally impressive. Friendly, attentive and on it.

I was then met by the sales woman who was just fantastic to work with...responsive to emails, knowledgeable about the policies and services of the hotel, and just a joy to work with. No pressure, just information. One small ding prior to our actual stay was with reservations. More than one guest seemed to have difficulty booking their room. I guess it depended on which agent you got on the phone....some folks had no troubles at all.

The actual stay at the hotel was mostly great. Again, the same friendly, quality service. Our room was nice and bright and beautifully appointed. (a bit narrow tho) Not much of a view (I think we were on 4) but we also didn't find it to be horrendously loud, given that we looked out over Shattuck. There was only one night we were serenaded by some hippies, but it's Berkeley, not New York, so folks go to be relatively early. The bed was super comfortable and everything was very attractive. Given that it was our wedding and we'd brought many guests to the hotel, some welcome flowers or prosecco would have been a nice touch.

Other good elements, which have probably already been pointed out, is how conveniently located to BART the hotel is. Also, there is a parking lot right across the street if you're worried about getting ticketed with street parking. Also tons of good places walking distance....BETA LOUNGE. The hotel was also very accommodating to our after celebratory drinking at the bar.

Okay, now for some of the less successful elements. I'll start with the minor things first. We had called ahead to determine that they had a steamer. They did but when we ordered it (and it arrived in timely manner) it leaked. We had to put it in the bathroom. They did come clean it up but there was no alternative. I sadly had to iron my wedding dress. Also, we got many flowers but there did not seem to be vases for us to use. We had to put them in the second toilet. (yup, second toilet!) And when the cleaning crew came they still didn't bring us a vase, and left the flowers in the toilet.

But the biggest, and really only, problem of our stay was the restaurant Five. (It's my understanding that Five is not operated by the hotel, but pleeeze) Where to start? Their hours. Bizarre. Breakfast ends at 10:30 and lunch starts at 11:30. But checkout is at 12. So right when you want to sit...the restaurant is closed. Secondly, we had two evenings where our wedding party wanted to socialize in the bar. But the set-up is really awkward for that. Most of us are from New York and know our way around a restaurant or two, and it was just a lack of class and business acumen not to set something up for us where we could drink and eat and spend more money and tip waiters. Instead, we huddled around a bar and ordered pizza. Lame. Additionally, when some of us wanted to sit for an actual meal, we had the distinct feeling that they didn't want us to sit. This restaurant was ENTIRELY EMPTY the whole weekend we were there, so it wasn't that they couldn't accommodate us. But it took sooooo long for them to "put something together" for us, I pulled the plug and went to bed hungry. Same sort of thing happened on the day we checked out. A small group was having tea, coffee, breakfast but they had to close out our check and cut-off orders because they had to close at 10:30. Weird. I felt bad for our waiter, and it had nothing to do with him....just stupid restaurant policy.

But overall, a very good stay. Great staff, attractive premises, well located.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Across the street from BART, beautifully appointed, terrific concierge (Marcus) and good food. The earlier you book the less expensive the room. The only negative I found I discussed with the desk clerk and found they were already rectifying: not enough shelf/counter space in the bathroom and the bathroom wasn't set up for a woman to put on makeup. (Just call the front desk and they'll provide a makeup mirror).

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!