“Cute hotel, great location, but not 4 star IMO” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
dirtdivanm
“Cute hotel, great location, but not 4 star IMO”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

First off, I chose this hotel from the reviews here at Tripadvisor. I would actually give this hotel a 3 1/2 star, but I do not agree with the 4 star ratings it has been receiving. I think this is a cute hotel, nicely appointed, however, the room I was in, was not a 4 star room. Since I didn't eat at the hotel or use any of the other amenities, I can not review those.

I will start with what I liked; we were in room 252, deluxe king room.

Pros: The location of this hotel is it's strength in my opinion. It really is across the street from the BART station and good choices of eateries within close walking distance, all of which was the reason I chose to stay here. The college is also just up the road. The room was nicely appointed, comfortable bed, pillows and bed linens, and clean.

This is a very small boutique hotel. This was not an issue for me, but there is no real reception area and it did fill up quickly while we checked in and there was no room to just wait in the area to be assisted. Elevators were pretty small and took a while.

Cons: We booked at the last minute so I got the rack rate of $195 plus tax for the deluxe king room #252.
--My biggest complaint is, that our room was on the second floor, view of large HVAC units and I felt the vibration of the unit during the night, it actually woke me. I have attached pictures. The room is also extremely small. Since it was just my husband & I, and we were only staying a few nights, we could live with it and I didn't want to bother with changing rooms. I feel that this hotel needs to offer these rooms at a discounted rate, as obstructed view, NOT at the $195/night. This is overpriced for this size and type of room.

--The room did not have any complimentary water or any for purchase either. This for me is a big deal for me, I am a water drinker and if I can get that at a Hilton Garden Inn, I expect it from a hotel rated 4 stars. No mini bar either, not a big deal for me, but others may think so.

--There is also no in room safe, which surprised me. There was only one end table, so I had to put my water on the floor or on the tiny table where the coffee machine was.

--The bathroom did not have a vanity area, which made it a challenge to keep our toiletries in the bathroom. Again, not that big of a deal for us since there for a short stay, but if a prolonged stay it would get annoying.

--The coffee maker was a nice touch, however, our cups were not restocked, so I was unable to use it the next morning when checking out early with a long drive to airport.

Overall, I did think the hotel offered nice touches, and that is why I would give it the extra half star. The staff was tied up when we went downstairs after arriving to ask for a suggestion for a drink and light snack, however, the bellman was very helpful and offered a suggestion just across the street. The checkout was also quick, no line since we were leaving early and the young lady called a cab quickly for our departure.

I would recommend the hotel, but highly urge you to get a higher floor room, although, at a higher price tag. I strongly suggest to the management to review their pricing for these lower floor rooms.

Room Tip: Higher floor for sure, get up above the second floor to avoid seeing & feeling HVAC!

617 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Santa Cruz, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was our second visit, both times were just for one night while attending a local concert.

Pros: The location is perfect for anything in Berkeley. The rooms are not huge, but certainly fine for one night. We had a room for two with a king sized bed that was very comfortable with nice linens. The amenities were really nice. The Keurig coffee system is appreciated as are the bathroom toiletries and the robe (1) and all the up-to-date outlets for electronics. The staff are all very nice and the hotel is very clean. We also like the fact that you can open the windows and adjust the room temperature. The parking is right across the street ($10.00 for overnight) and very convenient.

Cons: There isn't any place to put your toiletries in the bathroom. I suggested in my comments to the hotel, that they add a shelf because there is plenty of room. It would be really helpful especially since the rooms are on the small side. Personally, I like a mini fridge and there isn't one, but it's not a deal breaker, just a notation.

All, in all, I am glad this hotel is here and will stay again.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel made up in hospitality and charm from employees what it lacked in not having valet parking. We had a superior king room and it was GREAT! 5th floor. The gym was not crowded so I was able to get my 45 min run in daily.

Mike and Kingsly at front desk area were sooo helpful. Kingsly suggest a place, an Italian bakery in AM that had amazing coffee and savory breakfast pizza. Mike actually came with us to Bart to show us how to buy tickets to get around and to help us with an iPhone app for iBart. They were GREAT.

This hotel was well managed as the employees had personality with Hospitality their priority. Other hotels should take notice....we will stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

THe hotel is a nicely refurbished building, with nice decor and a good location for visiting both Berkley and San Francisco ( located just opposite the BART station ).

It's an excellent alternative to the overpriced hotels in San Francisco. We got even upgraded to a suite.
Hotel bar is excellent, with interesting coctails and decent prices.

Rooms are a bit smaller then the usual standard you find in the US, but it's very much close to European standard.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My stay at Hotel Shattuck was simple one of the best I've had in a long while; attention to detail, courteous service and an amazing staff, good bar and nightlife and you are in the center of everything. The food, especially at the bistro was delicious (complements to the chef) and the staff from the Manager, Marcus to the amazing front desk folks and that incredible young man who checked us in, it was a relaxing and fabulous journey. Kudos! Kudos! kudos! I'll be back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room and one with a view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the executive (full bed with desk) room on a Friday night, and there was plenty of room for us and our luggage. The front desk didn't seem to mind that two people were staying, even though the website would only let me register one guest. They also offered to hold my luggage when I checked out.
The one surprise was that they authorized my credit card for $100 extra for incidentals, which was corrected upon checkout. The location was perfect (near BART and campus). The parking garage across the street was fine.The walls were thin, but out room didn't face the street, so all we heard was people walking down the hall. The bathroom was very nice, and the water pressure in the shower was good. We didn't have a chance to go to the bar or restaurant, but they looked nice. My husband had previously visited the bar and liked it. I would definitely stay here again.

hockley, essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had originally booked to stay for 5 nights in another Berkeley "hotel" about a mile up Telegraph Avenue..However, that was not a nice place, so we stayed for 1 night,( which was too much). We were very fortunate to be able to book into the Shattuck for the remaining 4 nights. The lady on the desk showed us the room and we found the rates very reasonable.
The room was fab. with a power point for every conceivable type of electronic equipment. The beds, duvets and pillows were gorgeous and the room exceptionally clean. You could tell straight away that the cleaning staff took pride in their work.. The rest of the Staff were nice and friendly, without being over the top.The food was of good quality and it was nice to see the bar and restaurant busy, but friendly.
Another fantastic bonus was that this hotel is literally a minute away from the Bart.
This hotel rightly deserves to be number 1 in Berkeley and we hope it stays that way.If you are staying in Berkeley you cannot go wrong by staying here.

Room Tip: They do have some rooms at top of hotel with good views. Understandly they cost a little more.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear chrisHockely_Essex,

We are sincerely appreciative to learn that you had such a positive experience with us. Our team strives to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests and we are always delighted to know when we have had a positive impact. Thank you for choosing us for your visit and for dining in our restaurant FIVE. FIVE focuses on the five senses and it sounds like our friendly staff and culinary team presented a fulfilling dining experience. We will continue to work hard to earn #1 in Berkeley on Trip Advisor and if for any reason we miss an expectation, we will strive to resolve it before departure.

Best regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!