“Good affordable boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Good affordable boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was a little leery of staying at the Shattuck because of the fact that the hotel was recently renovated, the relatively low cost of only $118 for a Thursday night stay and the name sounded strange and odd. Most other major hotel brands in the area were in the $150-$200 range. Anyway the Shattuck was the most conveniently located hotel to where I had to be on UC Berkeley’s campus the following 8:30am morning for a conference. It was only one BART station away or a little more than a 1 mile walk to my conference.

As I exited the downtown Berkeley BART station I could almost immediately gained sight of the hotel, which is impressive from the outside. I was equally impressed by the lobby and bar area, which shouted local boutique hotel. Check-in was smooth and the attended recommended some local student hangouts for my consideration. You need your key card to use the elevator to access your floor. I felt very safe here.

The evidence of their remodeling continued as I walked down to my requested end of the hallway room 553. My corner room had two very large windows so lots of light was apparent, which I liked as opposed to a darkened room. Unfortunately my view was not very nice. They were of the roof top air conditioning units below. My room was very small, the bed was only a double-sized bed and the flat screen HTDV was only 32-inch. The bath room was somewhat updated, but, equally small, but, with a very nice boutique style terrycloth robe hanging on the doorway for my use. There was a stall shower, but, not tub. Check out my pic of the rather unique doughnut soap. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the doughnut hole after I used up thy soap. The bathroom marble floor seemed worn and had a crack. I assume they did not update the bathroom floor. All in all I really liked the convenience of the hotel.

Starbucks was right around the corner for my morning coffee and check-out went smoothly. I will return.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are small here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were in Berkeley for a week to drop our son to university and had lots of conflicting advice about where to stay. I am really glad we picked Shattuck Plaza because it was perfect. The hotel is small but the newly renovated rooms were very nice and the staff was super-friendly.

What really gives this hotel its edge is the location. You can walk everywhere - from the campus to the many (excellent) little restaurants on and around Shattuck Avenue. In fact, avoid the acclaimed but over-priced restaurant called 'Five' in the lobby and just venture out and try a new place everyday. The BART station is across the road so you are just 30 minutes and 8 dollars away from San Francisco.

Mount Vernon, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed one night while visiting the university campus. The hotel is amazing. Loved the decor and the attention to detail in the design. The room was a little snug but had every amenity you could desire in an upscale boutique hotel. The access to your floor was controlled by key card so we felt safe and secure. The front desk personnel were very helpful and attentive. We felt very welcomed. Parking is less than a half a block away in a non hotel controlled parking garage. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Flossmoor, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here two nights for a family wedding in Piedmont. This seemed a better spot than the Claremont Hotel, as we wanted to walk around Berkeley and have a trip into the City for dim sum the morning of the wedding.

The hotel has obviously been done over recently as the lobby and bar are sparkling. The room was a bit small, but perfectly functional. The biggest drawback was that our windows looked straight into a mass of HVAC equipment. It was cool that weekend, so it wasn't noisy, but I imagine it could have been, That was room 250, IIRC.

There was a shiny new Keurig in the room, but getting supplies replenished was a nuisance. The maid service doesn't seem to have refills, so both days we had to call the desk to get new pods. This seems like a pretty easy detail to take care of, but I've noticed other reviewers with the same complaint.

The location is great for a wander through the Cal campus and the surrounding business areas. The BART station across the street made our dim sum excursion extra easy, too.

Parking was a bit of a nuisance at first, as the garage across the street has no formal deal with the Shattuck. Street parking is free all day Sunday and before 9 AM weekdays, though. We only paid for our first few hours in the garage and were able to find street spots close by. Weekdays are probably a bigger hassle.

I would stay here again, I would just ask to face Shattuck rather than machinery.

Room Tip: Ask for something that doesn't face the HVAC units
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I recently spent a weekend in the area sailing, and found that Hotel Shattuck was very nice compared to the whole of Berkeley. The rooms were very clean, and had plenty of room. There were three of us staying and so we needed to get a pull-out bed in our room as well. The first room we were given was way to small, and so we asked them and they helped us to a larger room and were so helpfull about it. The only thing I would say is that parking was very expensive. They have you park at a parking garage across from the hotel and don't provide anywhere for their guests.

• Stayed August 2012
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I've stayed at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza three times since my son started at Cal. The service is excellent, the restaurant and bar are nice (food's pretty expensive), the rooms are clean and comfortable and you can't beat the location. Ask for an "inside" room if you really want it quiet - the street sounds can get pretty loud at times. I also would recommend better storage in the bathrooms - not a lot of space to set toilet kit, etc.

Willits, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a wonderful Hotel with an excellent staff. We highly recommend the Hotel Shattuck Plaza without a single downside. Every staff person and every amenity offerred was top shelf. Location was very convenient. We stayed here and took BART to see Les Miz at the Orpheum. Could not have been more convenient!

Room Tip: Open the window a little as the A/C doesn't seem to bring in any fresh air.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!