“Not be disappointed if you don't mind paying $$$ for Parking” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Not be disappointed if you don't mind paying $$$ for Parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

After reading reviews I made reservations for my husband and Shattuck Plaza is an elegant and classy hotel. I didn't eat at their restaurant, but it was always packed with people, so that tells me that it must be good! The room was small, but perfect for my husband and I to rest after three long days of moving my daughter to her new apt in Berkeley. There is no refrigerator, in case this is impt to the reader. The staff was not the friendliest, but were professional. The only warning I would give the readers is that there is no hotel parking and even though there is a public parking right across, you have to pick up car by 8am if you don't want to pay for an expensive full day parking. Having to get up early when you are on vacation and run in your pajamas across the street and then go in circles to get a street parking (for 2 hours only) was NOT convenient or enjoyable! I can't understand why this hotel can't make a deal with city to get a reduced rate for its guests until check out time!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed on a Sunday night when the hotel was fully booked with a professional meeting and law firm interviews (Boalt Hall has law firms conduct their student interviews at the Shattuck), and we were given a 2d floor room facing west across the A/C equipment. I had just been told the room was on the side street of the hotel's entrance, so was pretty disappointed. It didn't help that the room temperature was 80 degrees, as the A/C had not been turned on. However we left to find a restaurant more highly rated than "Five," the hotel's eatery which despite a full house was not busy. By the time we returned from dinner, the room had cooled and with the thick and very tasteful curtains drawn, it was surely the equal of better located rooms. The king bed, it's linens, it's pillows, and it's light weight but warm blanket made for a delightful night's sleep. The substantial, ergonomically designed desk chair was a delight to work from. And the bath, with its sliding (frosted) glass door, tub and tasteful modern sink atop the vanity, was similarly well appointed and enjoyable. In room Internet is free for 12 hours on a one night stay. The hotel has no parking facility but directs guests to the public parking structure almost directly across the street from its entrance. The front desk advised me that on street parking is free on Sunday and if I found a park on street it would be effectively free until 9 am the next morning. By the time we returned from dinner, a parking place was available half a block away directly under a street light and across from the main post office which would be quite secure. Taken together with a discount offered for prepayment when I called the hotel directly when making my reservation, the on street parking saved us over 20% of the costs I had anticipated for this stay. Shattuck Plaza provided us a great lodging experience despite an initial, and mitigated disappointment. I look forward to my next opportunity to experience the hotel's hospitality.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's website for rates, but then call direct to explore possibly discounts. The we...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Whittier, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel gets a very high rating from me. I will list a few things i didn't like but first I will tell you what I did like.
The decor inside is gorgeous, very upscale and modern. The 5 restaurant was also upscale and there was always seating in the morning and afternoon but make reservations for dinner as it is a popular place for dinner and/or drinks at the adjoining bar. The food was excellent. Checking into the room was quick and easy and the staff were very plesant. Our room was decent size and again the decor was beautiful and modern. Even though the front desk said that room could be noisy because it was on the lively street side, later in the evening it was quiet all night long and I had no need for the earplugs they supply in the room. The hotel housekeepers always greeted us with a smile and hello and quickly asked if you were ready to have your room cleaned. The rooms were furnished with everything we needed (loved the Keurig coffee maker) and they had free wireless network and nice flat screen tv's and hookup for Xbox which actually was the main reason I picked this hotel. Everything worked in our room and we didn't have any issues. Outside the hotel, everything you needed was right there. The bart, bus, movie theatre, restaurants, shops, pharmacy...almost everything.

Now for what I didn't care for. For me, parking across the street was expensive. I had to leave at 8:30am to drop off my daughter at college (which was why we were there for a week) and then I'd be back to the parking garage at 9:30am only to have to get my car out again at 3:30pm to go pick her up. Then if we went out again I would be charged again. It would cost me up to $28 a day depending on how late we stayed out at night. You have to pay attention to their closing times (they are not open all night) and their costs depending on the time you pulled in and the time you left. Leave the car and take the bus, bart or walk when you can. There are 6 levels for parking, if you like activity and usually take the stairs instead of the elevator...think twice....there are some street people that don't have the best hygene and in some areas you get a whiff of urine, the 1st floor stairs of the parking structure was one of those areas...disgusting. But the elevators were fine.
The few negatives in the hotel were that I noticed in the hallway leading to my room that the carpet had a few large stains and so those needed attending to. They had nice down comforters on the beds that were white and looked clean but usually the seam was ripped on one end which made them look slightly tattered and worn. The wireless network was a bit of a challenge to log on everytime and was a bit slow and web pages didn't always load completely the first time but it was workable and no problems with the Xbox or the Ipad once we contacted the network assistance which were extreamly helpful. They just needed our IP address to get us connected the first time. So as you can see, I didn't really have much to complain about which is why I rate this hotel as excellent and I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: 4th floor, Shattuck street side was nice for us. A lot of people walking around and cars going by wi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Calif.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I wavered between a 3 and 4 rating, but finally settled on 4. Here's why: 1) The staff: I dealt with three or four front office staff and all were friendly and professional. I was fortunate to get an early check-in and went through the process in about two minutes. 2) The room. This is an older hotel so the rooms are a tad on the small size, but they make good use of the space. Cleanliness is a big deal for me, and the room and sheets were spotless. Same with the bathroom. I know some folks find the card system used to turn on the power annoying, but its really no big deal. 3) Location: My son and I came here to visit UC Berkeley's campus, which is less than two blocks away. We also went into SF, which is easy, since there's a BART station yards from the hotel entrance. In addition, there are dozens of places to eat within walking distance and a lively night-time street scene. 4) A/C: This hotel gets it. The air conditioning unit is mounted in the ceiling. Al lot of single unit air conditioned rooms put them in the windows, where they blow the air up behind the curtain instead of into the room. Overall, the hotel is well-managed and well-maintained.

What's not so hot: 1) Parking. The hotel has no lot of its own; you use a public structure across the street. Pay attention to the structure's hours: on weekends it doesn't open until 8:00 a.m. Actually, it was this that made me decide to give the hotel a 4 rating rather than a 3. We were ready to leave a little after 6:00 a.m. and found the structure closed. Fortunately, the hotel staff has access to the structure. The manager asked a staff person to help us. He accompanied us to the structure, opened it, and let us get our car out instead of waiting another two hours. We were able to pay for parking along with the hotel bill. 2) The bathroom. While very clean, it was also very small. The neo-corner shower is confining and the sink is a surface-mounted bowl type that takes up all the small vanity space. You really need to move things around just to use it. 3) Follow-through: When we got to the room, I noticed there were no cups for the coffee maker. No big deal, but I called the front desk on our way out to let them know. When we returned, no cups. Next day, as we were leaving in the morning, I mentioned it again to the desk manager. Came back that afternoon, and still no cups. I finally got them on the third call. 4) Outside noise. The hotel itself is very quiet. We were on the second floor above the restaurant but you'd never know it. But the street noise! On our second night, I was jarred awake after midnight when a semi pulled up outside our window and began unloading something, accompanied by the associated machine noise and yelling. Not fun. 5) Room lighting. There was a single table lamp between the beds with a low shade that made it almost useless as a reading lamp. The other lamps in the room were okay, but the room's lighting was very uneven.

If we go back, I'd stay again, but I'd be a little more specific about the room's location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and facing the back away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We do not typically stay at four-star hotels, but my husband was here on business, paid for by a conference, and I stayed one night with him. The bathroom was overly fancy and less functional because of it, with a big fancy sink and hardly any counter space, and the shower was very loud while on. The room was fine otherwise, certainly very clean and comfortable. Our room faced towards the BART station and it was very nice the night I stayed there, although my husband said the other nights were not noisy. The location is great, near BART, many restaurants, and the Berkeley campus. Fine, but in my opinion not worth the high price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Windham, Maine, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here as a meeting planner loves this hotel. Why I do not know. First I requested a handicap accessible shower which I did eventually get but not before being called by the hotel staff to see if I could handle a shower with an 18" rim. I would not have requested a handicap accessible shower if I could do that. When I arrived in the room, there were no coffee cups, the coffee maker was broken and was never replaced despite notifying them immediately, the temperature could not be adjusted. The next day when I returned the room was half cleaned and the bathrobe I had been using was gone except for the tie. The room service menu is the worst I have ever seen and there is no parking. I will never stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone. Motel 6 has more amenities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Barbara S,

Thank you for your comments and I apologize that your stay was not as expected. We have shared your feedback with our team so we can learn from your experience. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay and promise that we will do better as noted through many of our surveys listed here.

Kindest regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

After booking several weeks ahead on a good rate, we arrived in on a Saturday night, arriving after midnight after having gone straight from the airport to an event that ran late into the evening. When we entered the lobby, the lights were on bright but no one was at the reception desk. The restaurant staff was on the other side of the room cleaning up, but was not paying attention to the guest lobby area. After waiting several minutes, we asked the restaurant staff for help finding someone to check us in. A few minutes after that, the night greeter arrived (his name Ben). Ben was neither friendly nor unfriendly; but notably he didn’t make any apology for having left the front desk unstaffed and kept us waiting. A minute or two later, he checked us in without any real interaction, gave us keys, and sent us on our way to room 256.

We arrived to room 256 to find that it has two double beds. We had booked a confirmed king bed. Not accustomed to sleeping Lucy+Rickie style, we returned downstairs to the front desk to ask for a different room. Ben told us that this was the last room in the entire hotel (which seemed to confirm a reason for the low floor and view of not much other than various above-lobby rooftop apparatuses); and that he thought it was a king bed. We let him know that we had been to the room, and that we were pretty sure we saw two double beds. He checked his computer and confirmed we were confirmed for a King, and then checked the room. He said it is listed as a king bed; though he didn’t know why ‘housekeeping put it in the computer that way’.

Since the hotel was fully booked and we were the last to arrive, Ben didn’t offer any resolution to improve our accommodations. After a couple of rounds of reiterating that this wasn’t what we had reserved, Ben offered to comp breakfast. Though we wouldn’t have booked the hotel room with two double beds even if it came with free breakfast, we didn’t have any other options, so we assented and went to bed. (Or, rather, we went to beds.)

The breakfast the next morning was very delicious; so we are thankful for that. And the young lady at the front desk in the morning who saw through our checkout was outstanding with a great personality and attitude. Yet there was something that was just disappointing that Ben on the night shift just didn’t seem to give a care or take any responsibility. So we were left with a mixed taste for the Shattuck Plaza Hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor "courtyard" rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Shattuck Plaza? Share your experiences!