“Kind of dirty, really thin walls” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   920 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94710   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Laramie, Wyoming
“Kind of dirty, really thin walls”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I'm pretty sure my bathroom wasn't cleaned for the three days I stayed as there was an item on the floor from the moment I checked in until I checked out. Walls are really thin and apparently this is the hotel where men go to argue with their wives over the phone. I heard every word of several conversations.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Goodyear
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I booked two of my business travelers in this hotel last week. They just told me that the front desk gave one of them keys to an occupied room. The female occupant was in the shower when my client walked in. The occupant was very shaken up. What a frightening thing to happen! The least they could have done is give them both a free night's stay for this HUGE lack of attention to detail. They offered nothing. Also, it seemed like people were living there as there were a lot of dogs around and the hallways smelled of many unidentified horrible odors. There was a distinct aroma of marijuana in the hallways as well. It was very noisy at night from the other hotel guests. They also reported that half of the lights in the rooms did not work.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Oxford, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Maybe one shouldn't expect too much from a La Quinta Inn, but this is really a place to avoid. It's badly in need of refurbishment, worn and grubby, and the breakfast is very substandard. I was thankful I had only reserved one night, and glad to leave. Plus the shower didn't work properly. For $100 a night, one can do much better in California at this time of year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

All staff that I encountered were very friendly & polite. Miya at the front desk really stood out as she handled my reservation and assisting another guest that was having difficulty with his room.

My room was clean and it was very quiet considering that my window faced busy University Avenue. The queen beds were comfortable and I didn't expect to have the large mini fridge and microwave; I was traveling with a 6' 14 year old boy that needed a place to keep his snacks fresh.

My son enjoyed a breakfast consisting of Belgium waffles, French toast, yogurt, sausge, fresh fruit and pastries. Yes, he ate it all!

Overall, a good value and a good place for all, especially for families.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Riverbank, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I booked and prepaid for a two nights stay but then when we checked in they charged us again for the two nights. We had to go back down to the front desk to get those charges removed. Then the next day we were resting in the room when housekeeping started harassing us to check out; we told them we had one more night. Then the front desk called to tell us to check out; we reminded them we had one more night. So we went down to the front desk to get it fixed. They apologized and told us they lost our second nights reservation and booked the room. They told us we could stay but we were so fed up by then we just wanted to leave. A few days after we got home we noticed they charged us again for the one night. So now we have that mess to try to get fixed. This was supposed to be a romantic stress-free get away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Where do i begin, im finally in my room after over a hour at check in, while with a 5 year old at that.

First, we booked with hotels.com book now pay later feature. We called the hotel to make sure there wasnt a incidental charge and that we would NOT have to pay until we checked out. This is how we set up our funds, plus we have more cash being deposited in the middle of our stay so we decided we would just go down and pay early.

The night before we called and spoke with a guy to confirm what was said at the time of booking. We were told complete opposite, that the hotels policy was to hold the entire amount of the room on.our card...well duh we could have just prepaid. Then i told him we spoke with another lady and she said we didnt have to pay until check out. The guy apologized and said they would honor that and he would leave a note for when we check in we are all set.

We show up to find out the guy lied, and left a note that had nothing to do with what was discussed and they wanted the money up front. We spoke with a manager and she acted as if she did not care, nor cared that her employees are incompetent. We finally get someones who cares, and helped us out with extra discounts at that.

We then get a room to find one towel for a double room...had to track down four different people to finally recieve towels, but of course there are housekeeping carts on every floor and nobody has towels.

First night here...im not coming back POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Which is sad because we are airline employees and travel alot. Wont be back. Room subpar

• Stayed February 2014

Been to La Quinta Inn Berkeley? Share your experiences!