“Convenient location but a few ongoing issues.” 3 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Berkeley
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   920 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94710   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Los Angeles, California
“Convenient location but a few ongoing issues.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have stayed at this property about 2 dozen times over the last few years. I find the location to be convenient to freeway access and close to the activities I enjoy in the area. It is a decent value during non-peak season. The property is very old but generally clean and adequately maintained. I considerate it to be a midrange property, nothing fancy or elegant. Although the property is now 100% non-smoking I always sense a musty odor thoughout the whole building and rooms that causes my nose to start plugging up. The first thing I do after checking in the room is open the window and leave it open the entire time during my stay. Sometimes I have difficulty breathing at night because of the musty odor so I turn on the bathroom fan/light to pull in a little more fresh air from outside. Unfortunately, the bathroom fan is on a motion detector so it shuts of after about 20 minutes if you are not in there.

A few other things: The breakfast is more than adequate. So far I have not had any problem with parking my car. The beds tend to sag and not provide much back support. The elevator is old and EXTREMELY slow for only 3 floors. Unless you have heavy luggage or something with wheels you can save a lot of time just using the stairs. There are only 2 luggage carts available but there should be at least 3 or 4. Especially during check out time both luggage carts are nowhere to be found - very frustrating when you need to leave. The place can be pretty noisy from inconsiderate guests stomping their feet when they walk, letting doors slam, loud conversations in the hallway or after getting out of their car when arriving late. Also, this property is located just a few blocks from a very busy train line. The line is used by cargo and Amtrack trains. Apparently, the trains are required to blow their horn at every train crossing and there are several of them nearby. So you will likely hear train horns day and night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pleasanton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Pros: The room was clean, comfortable, and it felt like a very safe place to stay the night. No complaints of the room at all.

Cons: First night at 3am we receive a call on our hotel phone. By the time my boyfriend and I wake up enough to realize what the ringing was the phone had stopped. As we get ready to go back to sleep there's a very loud, urgent sounding knock on the door. My first though was our car had been broken into. My boyfriend looks through the peephole and saw what looked to be a male employee. I told him not to answer and we'd call the front desk. Apparently the same man answers (this was a few minutes later) and says he knocked because we forgot to sign some registration papers at check in. Ok, I understand that might be important. But 3am important? No. So the next morning I go downstairs and explain what happened to a female employee who said everything was properly filled out and he had no idea why he would have bothered us that late.

Other than that, this hotel is very loud. I heard people walking around, slamming doors, weird tapping and banging noises all night. Upstairs, next door, down the hall, you name it and it sounded like someone was pacing around and kicking the walls every so often. My boyfriend and I are typically very deep sleepers and we've stayed at some crappy places with loud neighbors but this was by far the worst we've experienced noise wise. After two nights of barely sleeping we were excited to check out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel is close the highway, and that is very convenient. The parking lot was clean and the lines marking the parking spaces were very nicely painted. Its when you walk in the hotel that it starts to go down hill. I don't mind older, even a little tired, hotels. However, my room was dirty. The bathroom was dirty. The halls were dirty. They have a continental breakfast but I was not taking a chance on that since I could not see the condition of the kitchen.
The hotel is old and tired but if it were clean it would be okay. The front desk staff was fine, I don't really want to make new friends anyway so I don't care if they just hand me my key and say goodbye.

Room Tip: I think in the future I will make a different choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
pk233, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Berkeley, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Your feedback of our property,

At La Quinta we both welcome and appreciate guest’s comments... La Quinta is under new Management, we have updated our rooms and we continue to work toward refreshing our property in an effort to satisfy our guests. We strive toward guest satisfaction and we sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to show you how we have changed.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were here two nights before moving on to the Holiday Inn just a few blocks away.
It is in a safe spot in a part of Berkeley that I love, and the hotel staff are very friendly. We assume it was a very clean place, since the smell of cleaning supplies was strong enough to knock you off your feet when you walk down the hallway and into our room... Breakfast was pretty good. The rooms (or at least, the one we were in) have an automatic light switch that runs off of a sensor. Seems alright in theory, but several times we would have to get up, walk to the door, and wave our hands to turn the light back on, which become obnoxious.

The internet was terrible, don't count on being able to get any work done. It may have been a coincidence, but after being here just two nights on the hotel's wi-fi, myself and the person sharing a room with me both had our email addresses hacked into. I am not sure how that sort of stuff works, and surely it could have been no fault of the hotel, but it seemed like a coincidence to have happened to both of us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Nicest hotel in the price range, by far. Clean, safe, and convenient for my stay in Berkeley while attending a conference at UC Berkeley. Great breakfast, staff helpful and friendly. After 3 nights at a Air BnB house, this was like heaven. Very happy here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn Berkeley? Share your experiences!