“Good, but not if you're walking.” 3 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Berkeley
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   920 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94710   |
Ranked #13 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
Davis, California
“Good, but not if you're walking.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I am posting here because h**tels.com won't post my review. I stayed here this weekend with my sis, thinking it would be a short walk from the North Berkeley BART station. I was wrong. I admit, I probably should have analyzed googlemaps more (Note: city blocks in Berkeley are huge), because after we were walking 40 minutes on University Ave, I was like, "OMG where are we" and I kept telling her it couldn't be much further. We did end up finding it about 5 minutes later, after stopping inside a Subway to make sure we were still going the right way. Problem is, we were really tired by the time we finally got to the hotel because we'd already spent all day walking, with our backpacks, sightseeing in Downtown Berkeley. So if you plan to do something similar (not bring a car and walk everywhere like we did) it might not be worth it to be so far from BART. On the plus side though, it was super nice and clean once we got there and the staff was very helpful. And it is close to the Amtrak station and the 4th Street shopping area. We'll just have to stay somewhere a little more central next time.

Room Tip: Maybe book directly through the hotel? We used a third-party website and we were facing the parking...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Park Ridge, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Let me start by saying the staff was attentive and professional. Check in and check out was fine.
The room was a dump. Cracker crumbs in the corners, wet carpet in front of the bathroom door (oh Lord I didn't even want to guess) the room was smelly....like mold. The view was of some type of oil recycling truck. The first time I ever emailed a motel and voiced my displeasure. They then barraged me with offers to stay again, no discount. REALLY???? WHY WOULD I??
Oh and breakfast. The lady next to me stared at the slop and asked "what the heck is this"?? I really couldn't answer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stay in this Berkeley La Quinta Inn once a month for business and my experience has been better to best once every time I visited. Manager Jack has turned this place around. Staffs are very helpful, breakfast been always good, I like the self made warm waffle. Very close to highway 80 makes my travel easy too!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I stay in La Quinta Inns quite a bit because of dogs. No matter where you stay the service and rooms are always the same. I was traveling by train and the hotels near Amtrak were booked. This was a good alternative and a short drive from the Amtrak station. The parking is plentiful and secure. The breakfast buffet was tasty and offers round bacon for muffin sandwiches.

• Stayed March 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Its been a little over a year since we stayed here, but since TripAdvisor only gives me the option of a year, I just choose the date that was the longest ago. While this review is a bit delayed, I still wanted to leave one.

This hotel seems to have a lot of bad reviews but we didn't really have any problems with anything. We stayed for 2 nights and since we were moving, we had our cats with us. We love La Quinta's because they are pet friendly and we usually stay at them during a move (my husband is military so we move often).

While we didnt have any problems personally, it was still just an average hotel - but average isn't necessarily a bad thing (its just not 5 star review worthy). The building is old and the rooms are outdated. I could really care less about what a hotel room looks like in terms of decorations, but the furniture was old, so the comfort level of the room was a little below par. Updated furniture would probably be a good thing. The bathroom was clean, but it was old looking (i.e. chipped tiles, water stains on the ceiling, etc...). The neighborhood isn't very nice, but we actually choose this particular La Quinta because after reading reviews of other La Quintas in the general area (like Oakland), we decided that this neighborhood was probably our safest option. I didn't feel unsafe in the hotel, but the back parking lot backs up to a very run down, sketchy looking neighborhood. We didn't feel very comfortable leaving stuff in our car and because we were moving, our two cars were packed floor to ceiling so unpacking everything wasn't really an option. However, even though we felt uncomfortable leaving stuff in the car, we didn't have any bad experiences. Nothing was stolen, but I still wouldn't recommend leaving anything valuable in your cars. The location is near the interstate though, which was convenient because we wanted to go sightseeing in San Fransisco and it was very easy to get to from the hotel.

My biggest concern was the structure of the hotel. We noticed on the second day that the door has a small sign on it that warns that the building is a "soft story building" and goes on to state that soft story buildings are prone to collapsing during earthquakes!! Since the building is in a very earthquake prone area I can't understand why there haven't been updates done to make the building safer. From what I understand it would involve removing large windows from the ground floor and replacing them with solid (i.e. not glass) walls. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid but if we had seen that sign on the first day, it might have caused me to look for a different hotel. I appreciate the warning (though its so small that we didn't even see it the first day), but I think I'd rather stay in a building that is a little more likely to stay standing during an earthquake! If they make any earthquake-proof renovations, I would definitely stay here again if we were in the area. Just don't expect a 5 star resort. If you go in expecting an average older hotel you shouldn't be disappointed.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn Berkeley? Share your experiences!