“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Its been a little over a year since we stayed here, but since TripAdvisor only gives me the option of a year, I just choose the date that was the longest ago. While this review is a bit delayed, I still wanted to leave one.

This hotel seems to have a lot of bad reviews but we didn't really have any problems with anything. We stayed for 2 nights and since we were moving, we had our cats with us. We love La Quinta's because they are pet friendly and we usually stay at them during a move (my husband is military so we move often).

While we didnt have any problems personally, it was still just an average hotel - but average isn't necessarily a bad thing (its just not 5 star review worthy). The building is old and the rooms are outdated. I could really care less about what a hotel room looks like in terms of decorations, but the furniture was old, so the comfort level of the room was a little below par. Updated furniture would probably be a good thing. The bathroom was clean, but it was old looking (i.e. chipped tiles, water stains on the ceiling, etc...). The neighborhood isn't very nice, but we actually choose this particular La Quinta because after reading reviews of other La Quintas in the general area (like Oakland), we decided that this neighborhood was probably our safest option. I didn't feel unsafe in the hotel, but the back parking lot backs up to a very run down, sketchy looking neighborhood. We didn't feel very comfortable leaving stuff in our car and because we were moving, our two cars were packed floor to ceiling so unpacking everything wasn't really an option. However, even though we felt uncomfortable leaving stuff in the car, we didn't have any bad experiences. Nothing was stolen, but I still wouldn't recommend leaving anything valuable in your cars. The location is near the interstate though, which was convenient because we wanted to go sightseeing in San Fransisco and it was very easy to get to from the hotel.

My biggest concern was the structure of the hotel. We noticed on the second day that the door has a small sign on it that warns that the building is a "soft story building" and goes on to state that soft story buildings are prone to collapsing during earthquakes!! Since the building is in a very earthquake prone area I can't understand why there haven't been updates done to make the building safer. From what I understand it would involve removing large windows from the ground floor and replacing them with solid (i.e. not glass) walls. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid but if we had seen that sign on the first day, it might have caused me to look for a different hotel. I appreciate the warning (though its so small that we didn't even see it the first day), but I think I'd rather stay in a building that is a little more likely to stay standing during an earthquake! If they make any earthquake-proof renovations, I would definitely stay here again if we were in the area. Just don't expect a 5 star resort. If you go in expecting an average older hotel you shouldn't be disappointed.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gig Harbor, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I spend two night here. The stairway and hallway smelled, rooms on the back side overlook a low income housing area, and the sound of people walking above you is very loud. The only thing going for this place is that it appears clean. Probably the lowest end hotel I've ever stayed in.

When I checked out a day early I was told by the clerk that he didn't know how to do a refund and that I'd have to call back the next day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My daughter's apt is way too small to accomodate a relative/friend. I have stayed at another hotel in Oakland and definitely enjoyed the service and wonderful breakfast with many choices. The bedroom consisted of two double beds of which I only used one! The hotel furnished a microwave and small refrigerator which was very helpful.

The staff throughout the hotel were lovely people. I plan to stay at La Quinta Inn Berkeley for my next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Christmas with an 80 pound Golden. Hard to find hotel rooms accepting a large dog or at a reasonalble price. No charge for Riley. I was skeptical because of some poor reviews on tripadvisor. Bedbugs! Smelly. Prostitutes. Run down.

The building is old but the management does a good job keeping the rooms and public spaces clean. If you look closely, there are areas that need refurbishing but my room (210) was large, clean and smelled fresh. Double pane glass kept the road noise on University Avenue at bay.

All employees very friendly and competent. I would stay here again. This is the only hotel I know that does not charge for pets. Free parking a plus. Fresh paint and no damaged room furnishings. New carpeting and repairing some mold under the bathroom door would help.

Oh yes, no prostitutes or bad smells that I could determine!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn Berkeley? Share your experiences!