“Good Location, Hotel Could do Better” 3 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Berkeley
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   920 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94710   |
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good Location, Hotel Could do Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I picked this hotel for it's good location in Berkeley, and easy access to San Francisco. The hotel looks old from the outside, but has been updated a little bit. There was a long line at check-inn, so it took about 20 minutes before we were able to get into our room. I was disappointed that the room only had a full size bed. I thought hotels had king sized beds standard nowadays. The water pressure on the shower was not good, and what water did come out stayed in the tub since it was very slow to drain. There was also a lot of street noise from all the traffic on University Ave. I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast with eggs, waffles, fruit and other items. The staff was also friendly when I called down to report the slow draining tub. With some maintenance and updating, the hotel could be excellent, but it served my needs while there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This pet-friendly hotel is a great place to stay. The staff is super-friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast is well-stocked and well-serviced and presented attractively, with several options, including waffles, fresh fruit, eggs (hard-boiled and scrambled), biscuits, cereal and yogurt. Hotel is centrally located, with many restaurants and the BART station within walking distance.

Lompoc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My family organized a family reunion for 40 people and used this hotel as the main site for activities. I rented the apartment suite, which has a full kitchen and also a sliding glass door to a large terrace that overlooks the pool. The room was perfect for the evening reception and gathering spot for our weekend event.

The hotel staff took care of our needs and beyond. They even provided, on request, one of their hotel staff to take a group picture of our entire family during our Saturday night dinner!

My apartment suite was always cleaned and well stocked with towels, soaps, etc, each day.

The most impressive part of the hotel is we rented one of them conference rooms for our family dinner. They allowed us to bring in outside catered food, which helped us save a lot of money, compared to other hotels that have restaurants and require you to use their hotel food.

The set up the tables, table clothes, provided a projector screen for our family movies, decanters with coffee and hot water for tea and surgar and stir sticks.

And finally, the breakfast is great. It was enjoyed by everyone. The new general manager Jack is on top of things and the event went smoothly.

George,

Room Tip: Room 344 is the apartment suite. If you want your own private terrace for the family reunion, also m...
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Your first view of the building is not going to make you think your stay will be that great, but the interior is a pleasant surprise. The staff is friendly and helpful. The lobby is clean and bright and welcoming. We stayed on Jul 4 and found to our delight that we could walk to the marina to watch the fireworks. There was a festival there with lots of food vendors and some entertainment. The areas were manned by the police and the crowd was well-behaved. The best thing about staying at La Quinta is their complimentary breakfast. You can make your own waffles (delicious!). There are also breakfast potatoes, little round omelette-like things, and bacon in addition to the oatmeal, bagels and cereals. My husband likes the coffee here better than most other places. We stayed is a room with two full-size beds. The room was small, but overall, for a one-night stay, it wasn't that bad. There was a moldy smell by the air conditioner.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stay at a lot of La Quintas. This was lower end. They are very friendly there but we had a few issues. The original king bed I requested was a full bed with a king headboard. They did move us but it was after over an hour of bartering. I would not stay here again. Go up the street to the holiday inn or one of the nicer hotels.

Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn Berkeley on the night of Sunday June 24. I checked out in the morning at 7:00AM. I discovered I had left my Macbook Air on the desk in Room 104 when I got home and I had forgotten to pack it in the suitcase. My roommate noticed I was still on facebook and tried to ping me until 10:00AM, when my facebook page went offline. Manager Jack Kplli informed me his honest staff had not seen the computer. I want to rate the honestly of the staff at this hotel as ZERO. Sincerely-Bob Knoke

Room Tip: Watch out for theft by staff...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn Berkeley? Share your experiences!