“Nicer inside than outside” 3 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Berkeley
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   920 University Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94710   |
Ranked #12 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nicer inside than outside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Your first view of the building is not going to make you think your stay will be that great, but the interior is a pleasant surprise. The staff is friendly and helpful. The lobby is clean and bright and welcoming. We stayed on Jul 4 and found to our delight that we could walk to the marina to watch the fireworks. There was a festival there with lots of food vendors and some entertainment. The areas were manned by the police and the crowd was well-behaved. The best thing about staying at La Quinta is their complimentary breakfast. You can make your own waffles (delicious!). There are also breakfast potatoes, little round omelette-like things, and bacon in addition to the oatmeal, bagels and cereals. My husband likes the coffee here better than most other places. We stayed is a room with two full-size beds. The room was small, but overall, for a one-night stay, it wasn't that bad. There was a moldy smell by the air conditioner.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stay at a lot of La Quintas. This was lower end. They are very friendly there but we had a few issues. The original king bed I requested was a full bed with a king headboard. They did move us but it was after over an hour of bartering. I would not stay here again. Go up the street to the holiday inn or one of the nicer hotels.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn Berkeley on the night of Sunday June 24. I checked out in the morning at 7:00AM. I discovered I had left my Macbook Air on the desk in Room 104 when I got home and I had forgotten to pack it in the suitcase. My roommate noticed I was still on facebook and tried to ping me until 10:00AM, when my facebook page went offline. Manager Jack Kplli informed me his honest staff had not seen the computer. I want to rate the honestly of the staff at this hotel as ZERO. Sincerely-Bob Knoke

Room Tip: Watch out for theft by staff...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I reserved a room online, and when I got there they had double-booked and had only a smoking room available. All the other hotels in town were booked up, so I had no place to stay.
The desk clerk was pleasant - but told me that he couldn't cancel my reservation since I had booked it online - so I spend 30 min on the phone trying to be sure I wouldn't be charged for the room I didn't stay in. While I was standing there for 30 min., one hotel guest came down to say the sink faucet in his room had come off.
The location is not good, and the clientele made me uncomfortable.
The desk clerk was so busy that there was usually a line of people waiting to check in or waiting to get help.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The tub and the sink in Rm. 206 was slow to drain, and the toilet tank had a big crack around the handle.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I had a nice stay at the hotel
the staff was friendly i had no problems
i enjoyed the outside swimming pool
the breakfast was good but could be changed up

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn Berkeley? Share your experiences!