“Gold Standard” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Gold Standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife, me and our 12 year old daughter have just returned from a wonderful stay at Hilton DoubleTree, Berkeley, CA. Last year I was kindly upgraded to GOLD HHonors status after an issue I had with a trip elsewhere: that got us an upgrade to the Cypress Suite in building 4.

I would like to praise an exceptional member of staff at Berkeley - Mr. Andrew Roseman.

Without fail from first to last he was like our personal desk member. We had a fantastic upgrade and my daughter was made to feel really special by Andrew's attentiveness, as indeed we all were. He was very smartly presented in an array of very neat suits and nothing was too much trouble. He gave us great local advice on restaurants and getting around and always greeted us with a smile and personal style that felt we had known him for a long while.

Most importantly, there was a ready supply of DoubleTree cookies for my daughter and wife and I must confess, me too! Even though this hotel was primarily used for conferences and meetings and was very busy, the whole ethos made us feel at ease and very assured. A lot of this is down to Andrew and his team on lates last week. Mr. Andrew Roseman's was without doubt, the finest example of an hotel front-person I or my family have experienced on our very extensive travels.

We used this hotel after a week skiing in Tahoe. Primarily we chose the location for its proximity to relatives we were visiting as well as to San Francisco. The hotel is close to the local BART stations and it provides a free courtesy bus service to and fro from first light to 10PM each day.

We used the family pool and spa, although there is only really a male and female restroom to change in nearby. I also used the gym which was the usual Hilton standard with excellent up to date Precor XT, running machine etc.

One little criticism was that the restrooms and the shower facilities were a little grubby but I put this down to the pure weight of residents during the 'Spring Break'. It is also a very popular conference hotel. There are presently some building works in building 4, but this will only be for the greater good of this venue.

The breakfasts were wonderful and compliments on the fresh Blinis were loud and proud but as a Brit, I did not quite get them. However, bacon, sausages, smoked salmon, cold cuts and freshly cooked eggs at the weekend were the order of the day alongside oatmeal, various cereals, bagels and breads. Delish melish!! Look put for the zany waiter Roger and the delightful and very polite Kim. Thank you very much.

One final note on Andrew - he recommended Hana Hibachi (Tepanyaki) to dine in, just to left of the marina as you look out from the family pool. This was a great and good value place to dine and left a lasting memory of our farewell to our Stateside cousins.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Greetings KevinVickyHolly~

Thank you for the beautiful review regarding your exceptional stay at our hotel and your interactions with Andrew....he is a true service gem and works to exceed our guests expectations!

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest and treat you with amazing service once again!

Stephanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i stayed there for a week and it was great all tje staff were very talkative and had a great outlook on life the view from my roo wasent what i wanted but it was still good thank you staff at double tree

• Stayed April 2013
Dear hungrymand~
Thank you very much for the "nice review" regarding your stay at our hotel!!
I am delighted to know that you had a great week with us and that you enjoyed your interations with our team members!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Because I am traveling this winter I have been staying in a lot of hotels. I expected that because this hotel is a major chain and that the price I am paying was a premium ($140) that I would be able to access internet in my room for no extra fee. When I found out that they add on $9.95 for wi-fi access in your room I decided to ask the manager if they could comp it because of my expectation of having it and most of the other hotels providing it for free. After I called down to the desk and got to the night manager Andrew [--], he was very argumentative and seemed to disrespect me on the phone. I was offended and he continued to argue with me. Really this is what you get for $140 an argument with some novice hotel manager? I called the corporate HHoners number to get the situation resolved (1-800-548-8690) I explained the situation with the rude and argumentative staff and told them that I was so frustrated with the conversation and the fact that they were trying to charge extra for internet that I was prepared to check out and take my business elsewhere. The HHoners corporate person was able to call the front desk and work out the situation for me, they were able to comp the internet. I feel front desk staff and Hotel night managers should be trained to be less argumentative with guests. Besides that interaction with the Night manager the hotel is currently experiencing a face lift on the grounds between the hotel and the Marina. Currently the back buildings are fenced off and there is construction equipment and workers all over the place. Hope all of you have a better experience there than I did. I will not be back unless they show some improvement in their hospitality and guest relations comments.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Charles D~
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your experience at our hotel.
I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations and that you had a unacceptable interaction with one of our Managers. We do charge for internet, unless you are a Gold or Diamond hHonors member. We do often extend complimentary internet to our guests and starting June, DoubleTree by Hilton will have a tiered option.
If time permits, I would greatly appreciate a phone conversation. You can reach me at 510.665.7126.
Camarillo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this property many times, but the tremendous rest we enjoyed recently spurred me to comment! Both of us suffer from chronic shoulder pain, and we have explored many devices at home to maximize our comfort, so that it's rare to sleep on a bed elsewhere that feels as good. We were pleasantly surprised during a recent 2-night stay at how comfy the bed and (down) pillows were: no shoulder issues, which yielded deep sleep. Kudos to DoubleTree. Of course, we also enjoyed the marina location (as always) and the indoors spa/pool. Although the bathroom of our room was oddly tiny, we will return in future, because in the end, the most important result we wish from our visits is good sleep.

Room Tip: We stayed on north end of second floor of Building 1, a room with a "Marina view." Althoug...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Greetings BigFeet16 ~

What a wonderful review!
I am so happy to read that our bed and down pillows assisted you and your wife to have the deep sleep you deserve!!

It is great that you also enjoyed the Marina as well as our indoor pools and spa!
Look forward to delivering another great night's rest! See you soon -

Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed two nights. Some really good reasons to stay here - nice lap pool and fitness center, easy and free parking, nifty neighborhood in West Berkeley for food and shopping is two miles away, great running trail near the bay. Not so good - it's hard to get there to/from the freeway if you are coming from or going to Oakland or San Fran. There are a couple scary looking vagrants in the Marina area and I wouldn't run or walk near dark. If your on the Marina side, the view is nice but the wind whistles a bit in the windows as the wind blows nightly. Finally, it's just a bazaar layout with only three levels and lots of adjacent buildings. You have to walk through four separate buildings and then go outside to get to the lap pool and fitness center. The casual pool is right in the front area of the hotel.

Great beds and linens, high level of service and we'd stay there again.

Room Tip: 3 floor best for Marina view. Building 1 or 2.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Beltway_Hater -

Thank you for your review from your stay at our hotel!
We are happy to know that you enjoyed the lap pool and fitness center as well as our free parking and the great food and shopping on 4th Street in West Berkeley! This street truly is a great amenity for our hotel. It is full of wonderful restaurants and fun shopping.

Please know that many of our guests stay with us just to use the running trails and Cesar Chavez Park - the area is very safe.

We can't wait to welcome you back to Berkeley!
Chico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here and will give an overview of pros and cons:
Huge room overlooking the water with sitting area $179
Flat screen tv too small and too far away to watch from bed.
Great seating area and large desk from which to do business
Ok bathroom and amenities
Nice view of water and sunset
Very soft (too squishy for us) bed
Nice bedding and pillows
Above and beyond service our entire stay
Incredible breakfast buffet including savory omlettes, fresh fruits, meats, cheeses, yogurt, pastries
Beautiful setting for strolls on the marina, nature trail across the street, and nearby unique playground.
Great seating areas outside, but often crowded because conferences are held here.
Good indoor pool for kids.

We have stayed in both the suite and simple room, and found that unless you need a sprawling space, the other is a better deal for your money and the bed and tv more comfortable.

Hope this helps... Click on helpful if it is.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jodie D~

We are very delighted that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and please know that your loyalty is greatly appreciated.
We know you have many choices when staying in Berkeley and thank you for your business!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon as our guest.
Riverbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed in the main part of the hotel, 2nd floor. View from balcony overlooking the Berekely Marina was beautiful. You can see Golden Gate Bridge and SF skyline from our room. The staff at check in were very nice. Have never had the staff call the room after check-in to make sure we were happy and see if they could provide anything else for us. Had Groupon rate so it was very reasonable. Right off of freeway so easy access to Berkeley, SF, Bay Area. Restaurant buffet was exceptional with made to order omelets, crepes, bagels & lox, etc.. Amazingly comfortable beds. Nice indoor pool and separate hot tub. Will stay here again soon!

Room Tip: Get a second floor room with view of Marina and your own balcony to watch the sunset.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Vicetta~

I am very happy to read that you truly enjoyed your stay in one of our Marina View rooms! We think the view is simply spectacular as well.....Seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and SF Skyline is pretty amazing!!
Thank you for recognizing our culinary team for our breakfast buffet - we are delighted that you had a nice experience.

We value your business and look forward to seeing you soon!
Stephanie

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina? Share your experiences!