“Nice salsa selection” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #129 of 598 restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Established in downtown Berkeley in 1994, Cancun has always been committed to its fresh ingredients and Saldana family recipes.The Big open spaces, high ceiling, and ancient Mayan murals house organic, homemade, Mexican dishes, made to order, and with a salsa bar to cater to the most traditional or adventurous palette.Chef and owner, Jorge Saldana, can add farmer to his list of titles.Saldana Farms grows many of the organic and fresh ingredients for both the natural flavor of organic cooking creates and the health benefits it provides.Cancun serves only dishes made with love and appreciation for flavor and nourishment and a passion for cooking.
Berkeley, California
“Nice salsa selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Fresh tastes, lots of different salsas to try. It has good prices and fresh food.

Visited April 2012

75% Recommend
essex, vermont
“Crazy atmosphere but food outweighs it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Sometimes Cancun is crowded and loud. The restaurant is located very near campus and the downtown crowds. It is, however, a great place to grab a taco - I recommend the beef crispy taco. Really good burritos too. They have a salsa bar where you can choose as many salsas as you like mild to spicy.

Visited February 2012
New Westminster, Canada
“Fresh and delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Mmmmmmm. Should I say more? Okay, I had the Cancun quesadilla with chorizo on a corn tortilla, with the chipotle salsa and the pumpkin salsa and may I say I was kind of in food heaven? I don't normally eat Mexican food outside of Mexico but this place will be my exception. The food was incredibly delicious, fresh and came in big portions.

It's cafeteria style, with a salsa buffet (you get one dish to try, but ask for two because they have delicious salsas!). The drinks are freshly made. And it's a busy place. But don't let that stop you. It's busy for a reason!

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Berkeley, California
“Disappointing experince with Cancun Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

I started going to Cancun on 2134 Alston Way, Berkeley, Ca when I moved to Berkeley to attend UCB 5 years ago and not once had a complaint, until now. The food is above average and service equally so but on March 3, 2011 went to Cancun at 7pm and asked cashier what plate special was displayed up front and she stated it had prawns so I came home and it had other things I could not identify and called and she stated it was a Mariscada dish and I stated what was that because I did not know and she stated I could call manager which I did today at 1:50pm called and asked to speak to manger and a gentleman stated manager was not in but I could leave message and again I asked if I could speak to owner and he stated how could he help and I attempted to explain and he interrupted me and stated he spoke to cashier and stated I should have known what was in Mariscada dish and I stated how would he know issue unless he was the manager and furthermore no I did not know nor would I have ordered it and he said it was obvious it had octopus. I told manager on phone three times I was not a maam but a sir but he disregarded what I said and continued to call me maam. He laughed because I did not know what Mariscada was and when I asked what was so funny he hung up on me. I went to the establishment and saw the manager I spoke with on the phone or he could have been the owner but he referred me to speak with a cook obviously not taking responsibility so I spoke with the cook and stated I find it very unprofessional after being a customer for many years with no previous complaints to be laughed and hung up on especially when I was not disrespectful to manager on phone especially when he kept interrupting me. I stated very clearly I did not wanted anything in return such as refund but that the cashier needs to make it clear when explaining what is in the dish when a customer asks before one buys because I became sick nothing against octopus just do not have a taste for it. So cook listened but I could tell I was not taken seriously and cook stated he would speak with owner about manager’s disrespectful behavior but I am assuming he told me whatever so as to get me to leave restaurant. I am disappointed and Cancun could care less losing a customer but as a business they could at least pretend to act more professional.

• Visited March 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Walnut Creek, California
“Fabulous Grilled Shrimp Casadillas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Um, I love these shrimp casadillas with all my heart. The other people in my office order other things and seem equally happy. The salsa bar is fun to experiment with even though the chips aren't my favorite ones out there. It's a really good lunch for $12, lots better than quiznos or whatever.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere