“Deee..licious restaurant in berkeley” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lalime's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #130 of 598 restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Eclectic, International, Californian
Good for: Romance, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Northside
Transit: Ten minute walk from the North Berkeley Bart stop.
Berkeley, California
“Deee..licious restaurant in berkeley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Lalimes is a wonderful restaurant to relax and enjoy a conversation. When seeing the restaurant from outside, one does not realize how surprisingly open and comfortable it is. The chef offers a tasty menu. All is well prepared and served beautifully.

• Visited June 2013

73% Recommend
Otavalo, Ecuador
“Not exciting but a pleasant dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had heard excellent reports about Lalime, as well as a few recent negatives about the service, and were excited to join a group of six couples there last week. I think the consensus of all of us was that on this visit, the food was well-prepared but not terribly exciting, save a few of the starters and the dessert souffle which were outstanding. A few of us ordered the seared halibut, and were disappointed, as it was slightly overcooked, and the charring seemed to be the only seasoning. Halibut needs a bit more and even a flavorful butter would have helped. The service was decent, but less attentive than it could have been. The decor is understated, i.e. minimalist, and the atmosphere was tranquil and pleasant if undistinguished. We did have an enjoyable dining experience overall, and it seems that many Berkeley locals love Lalime and return frequently. So I will honor their considered opinions as well as my own and give a four star rating to Lalime.

• Visited June 2013
Ashland
“This is a great choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

We were in Berkeley for one night and had to choose one place for dinner from the abundance of choices. Looking within a mile walk from our hotel, the Trip Advisor reviews of Lalime's cafe convinced us to try it. It was the right decision, no question. Menu choices were interesting, well-prepared and presented. Service was attentive and atmosphere calm and lovely. We're going to try making at home two of the dishes we enjoyed. I highly recommend Lalime's.

Visited June 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Very good italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Although the menu isn't particularly novel, every one of the dishes we ordered was prepared expertly. Given that the prices aren't on the high end either, it's a definite recommendation.

• Visited May 2013
Portola Valley, California
“Why didn't I know about this great restaurant?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

On St. Patrick's Day my son-in-law suggested we walk a few blocks to Lalime. Somehow, I had never heard of this restaurant, but knowing his taste and trusting his judgment I readily agreed. Wow! I have eaten many times at Chez Panisse, but never had a meal as satisfying, from my cocktail to the dessert, as I had at Lalime. The menu is creative and the presentation of every meal showed care and creativity. My daughter, a picky eater, had the brick pressed chicken; she cleaned the bird down to the bones. Her husband, a vegetarian, had the risotto, made with cauliflower and Quinoa; he smiled as he cleaned his plate. Both split a salad to begin that they enjoyed. I started with the Carrot/ginger soup, a familiar standby in many restaurants, but this stood out. My second course, still in the starter category, was scallops, after our server tipped me off that the scallops were "really plump." They were. There were three, served on a sauce that perfectly complemented the shellfish. By the way, I mentioned a cocktail, which is not my usual beginning of any meal, but it was St. Patrick's Day; I had a Sazerac, made of Rye and Absinth, and some other goodies. Don't miss this creation. My Dessert was a Meyer Lemon Pot de Creme with shortbread cookies and a butterscotch sundae for my pregnant daughter. The sundae was on a chocolate cake base that was so dense it gave everyone a caffeine rush; I know because I decided that was a little extra treat for me. Both the desserts were perfect. I topped everything off with an Irish Coffee (why not?) and walked home, thanking my son-in-law for exposing me to this local treasure.

• Visited March 2013