“VERY RUDE Manager SCREAMED at me !” 1 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Berkeley CA
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   1512 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703   |
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Vancouver, Washington
“VERY RUDE Manager SCREAMED at me !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I informed the manager in the office (male) when I checked in that I needed to be able to make a long distance call from my room. That evening the long distance on the phone was still not hooked up so I went to the motel office and I asked again to be able to make a long distance phone call from my room; I had told them it was an important call . The manager (male) SCREAMED at me at the top of his lungs in a long winded ranting diatribe!
I would NEVER want to stay in the Capri Motel in Berkeley EVER again. I literally would not wish this "motel" on my worst enemy !!
(At the bottom it asks the reviewer it they have photos; I took a photo of the Screaming manager of this motel but since my stay was a while ago , and i needed room in the memory card, I deleted it in favour of a more pleasant memory .. like Hurricane Katrina ! )

Room Tip: Ask them to wash or dry-clean the Bedspreads before you book a room !
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
East Brunswick, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

First, they charged me $25 extra for my 15 years old child. They said to me, " this is America, only child under 12 is free." I asked to show me any
written documents, they showed me a paper that wasn't in English.

Second, the room is very small, I ordered 2 Queen size beds, but one was not a queen size and one side was leaning against the wall.

Last, the motel is on a busy and noisy street, we could hear truck pass by all night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Delightful Motel and management. Completely unique interior design with special touches: Hand-painted striped wall, beautiful draperies and bedspreads. Excellent granite shower and sink. toilet is in a crazy position. ''Lotions, shampoos and toilet paper is of excellent quality.suitable for five star hotel.

Management was delightful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is an older motel in which the rooms have obviously been renovated very recently. My room was small, but tastefully decorated, comfortable and sparkling clean. There's plenty of parking and the location is perfect for visitors to both Berkeley and San Francisco. It's just a block and a half to BART and very accessible to Shattuck Ave. (downtown), Telegraph and the University. Staff was helpful. I'll certainly stay at the Capri again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here on my road trip. I thought the room was neat and clean. The free Wi-Fi was a bonus, worked perfectly!!! Staff were friendly too. I paid $95 and loved the room. I usually look at the room before i purchase and I did this with the other hotels on University Ave and this was the cleanest and nice by far. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms in corner are nice
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is your basic independently owned motor court type property. The furniture is very basic, but in decent condition, and the lighting is good. The plumbing works, the shower stall is large and newish, the towels are plush. The windows open. The purple and green motif is more stylish than average. The wireless works well, the fellow behind the counter is friendly. It's walking distance to BART, bus lines, the UCB campus, and many restaurants and shops, both high and low end. I'm a runner and quickly found my way to quiet residential streets; it's also a short drive to the Marina and Cesar Chavez Park. The refrigerator and microwave (plus coffeemaker) are a nice touch. If you don't expect charm and seek a decent value and family owned property but don't want to ask yourself, "Has it really come to this?", stay here.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor towards the back.
Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

For those of you who read my reviews, SLAM is the acronym for Stop Loud Annoying Noises and usually applies to hotels where the bedroom doors SLAM closed rather than with a gentle ‘click’.
This is a particular bête noir with me because I often travel across large time zones changes, so there is nothing worse than being shaken from your sleep at 5h00 in the morning by an early departure, thus ruining the very little sleep that you have managed to scavenge from the night.
In the case of this stay, the predictable 5h00 departure did not matter, because I had already been awake from 3h30 but noisy it was.
Being awake at 3h30 in the morning, gave me lots of time to tune into the hotels night noises, with late night or was it perhaps early morning baths being run, television noises and now at 6h00 showers firing away all around.
What gets Americans to rise so early on a Sunday morning?
The room itself was motel standard, clean but the décor was dated.
Importantly a comfortable double bed and adequate lighting.
The small bathroom sported a small, non functioning Jacuzzi which was 50% of the space! Perhaps the source of noctural noises in other rooms? An OK shower.
Free internet
Fair value, but too far out of Berkley downtown to be useful, but OK for a transit stop as was my situation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Knights Inn Berkeley CA? Share your experiences!