“rip off” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nash Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Nash Hotel
You added Nash Hotel to your Saves list
2045 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704   |
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Atlanta, Georgia
“rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Owner walked into room with stranger to show room while I was checking out, delayed me while I got a parking ticket in their "YOU PAY IT AS YOU GO PARKING"/ not a parking lot for hotel. Hotel refused to pay for ticket, refused to discount or refund hotel stay. RUDE RUDE RUDE and pushing into my room with a stranger is NOT professional. Entire place SMELLED THE ENTIRE TIME.

Room Tip: no restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011 via mobile

I had booked a one week reservation at the Nash Hotel in berkeley while my new apartment receive some touch ups and new painting before moving in. As I was laying in the bed studying for an assignment I felt a sting on my neck and a bite on my shoulder. I immediately jumped up and ran to the bathroom too find five bed bugs on me. I proceeded to call the hotel manager Norman Lam expressing my anger, deverstation, health and safety concerns. I requested a full refund and he told me he would have to charge an additional day on my credit card because I didn't give the hotel 48 hour cancellation notice. Very condescending inconsiderate man. In short: I left this place with several bites all over my body that left little red marks I was ashame of and had to continue to attend class at UC Berkeley. Good thing Well Fargo took the charges off and everything got settled. AVOID this bug infested place like a plague!

• Stayed September 2011
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I loved staying at the Nash. Don't let the older building scare you away! Huge tub, and marble floor in our bathroom. A wonderful mix of classic old and modern that blends well here.
The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. It was an easy walk to all our favorite restaurants, the Bart and the bus.
The staff was very friendly.
Avoid the national chains places and stay at the Nash!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

very good location, clean room and badroom. The owners are a wounderful people, very kind, give you good information and the Hotel Nash, even that is not rated 5* is a very good place to stay if you do not want to pay the $300 dls nigth.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stayed at the Nash last November for a couple of evenings. During first day all was fine. I should also add that it is a comfortable place and a substantially better value than other Hotels on University. The two things that ended yp furstrating me very mudh may not be a problem for you.

First, though they advertise wi-fi, they know it is spotty at best. After one inquiry about the reception they suggested I sit on the stairs in the hallway for better connection to the internet. This caused me to travel to various coffee shops to find available tables and wi-fi hotspots.

Secondly, though there was some sort of cable, there was barely more than local broadcast station, with seemingly one third of the populated channells split between odd re-broadcasts of Berkeley Public School System's self-congratulatory programming, and what must have passed for really racy "erotica" type of addsk for breast workouts and the ;

To emphasize though, it is a clean place in a ctty of unkept chain hotels, if you can work on your laptop at area cafe's, and are satisfied with local broadcast t.v. channels, and dont mind shared toilets.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

They are nice enough to rent rooms to people who are in sickness or in health. I think it's awfully nice. A lot of these people are hostile or weird to people who are imperfect. I have come in there for over 6 years. I have had trauma and have had to come there extremely depressed needing "respite". Mr. Nash has a incredibly helpful, respectful family who has run towels up to my room. They have stored my belongings and have not budged or bullied at me upon a slightly late checkout. They did not rip me off or take advantage of me. They are beyond respectful and offer cleanliness, presentation and quality on a budget. I've sat depressed and sick on their balcony crying and smoking cigarettes muttering about what he did to me under my breath. I'm never treated like an invalid or harassed. I've had problems elsewhere with my imperfections. I have been received at the door and have had large bushels dropped off at my door. It is a safe haven for travellers who want the comforts of home that you do not naturally get and they are my favorite group to rent from. It's like Berkeley's best kept secret. I feel safe, have good dreams and accomplish things that i need to from within the space.

ALWAYS GRATEFUL FOR THE EXCELLENT STAFF AND NICE FAMILY AND GREETING AND experienced customer service staff who seems to care about people.

Is that too much?

The bathrooms are shared but you pay less. The building is old but it's kept up. You cannot expect beautiful and glossy sheen for such a bargain. I think it's as nice as a cute BB on a budget. There is 5star service but no 5star price. But whatever.

And I've been going there for 6 years since I moved out of an apartment and became unable to rent my own from bad stuff. Nice people.

R

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

When I stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago, I found it to be a bit dirty and run-down with the occasional cockroach. But now, it seems that the place has undergone major renovations! No more bugs. Clean rooms. Wonderful amenities (fridge, coffee machine, FREE WIFI, etc). All this for the same low price!!

If you're looking for a clean, comfortable stay with a great location and low price, this is the place!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Nash Hotel? Share your experiences!