“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Garden City, Michigan
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We rented four rooms for ten days and had a wonderful stay. All the rooms were immaculate - new and clean. Excellent, friendly service. Free continental breakfast. Close to BART. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Stayed at the Super 8 in Berkeley for one night. It's very close to UC Berkeley and by car you reach SF Downtown in 15 minutes. The motel is clean and the rooms are more modern than all other motels I have seen in this price class (and I stayed at many!), and also better than the average Super 8 motels. The bathroom looks like those in 4-star hotels and the Breakfast was above average in this price class as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

The staff were very hospitable and kind to our family. The food was perfect, and the location was close to everything we needed throughout our stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010 via mobile

Excellent service!!! Great location!

• Stayed July 2010
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Trying to save money on a trip to check out apartments and attend student orientation for UC Berkeley, I decided to stay in a hotel far below what I'm used to. I have stayed in my fair share of run down hotels that I paid more for this "level" of motel and some have been some pretty traumatizing experiences which why I usually stay in 3-4 star hotels and have come to expect the kind of service that accompanies 3-4 star hotels. But let me tell you, the experience I had with Super 8 FAR exceeded any expectations I would have from an establishment with this few stars. Sure, 4 star hotels have higher quality bedding, buildings, and decor, but Super 8 Berkeley was very clean and well put together. The bedspreads were (or looked) new, the pillows were very fluffy, and the room came with a refrigerator and microwave that worked really well.
I came with my dad for part of the trip who asked the owners (?) where to get a specific Indian dessert, and they gave us a very good recommendation. That began the pleasant relationship I had with both of the men I encountered in the office. They were especially helpful and accommodating, waved hello when I would come "home", and were always there if I needed advise on where to have breakfast, or which side of the road the best bus stop was to my destination, and were even able to provide me with change for the bus even though I don't think they accept cash. I have never had such personalized and helpful experiences with any of the higher star hotels that I've stayed at.
If you're traveling to UC Berkeley for your stay, the 51B bus runs every 10-20 minutes from a stop less than a block away and lets you off right at Sproul. The bus ride takes about 15 minutes, but you could walk to campus at a leisurely pace and get there around 30 minutes or so.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Morgan Hill, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here a few weeks ago, while doing some site seeing in Berkeley. I met Tony the manager who was very helpful and so professional. When I called to ask how to work the remote control in my room (yes silly question) he was patient and kind in walking me through the features of our room. Anyone who says they had a bad experience at this hotel must have been going through their own personal drama. I would highly recommend Super 8 Berkeley to anyone looking for a hotel that is clean and reasonably priced with a professional staff. Not to mention the hotel was recently renovated and everything has a fresh new look and feel about it. I give Super 8 Berkeley an A+++

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

My sister needed a place to stay for one night so I reserved a room for her at this Super 8. The manager, Tony Anin, asked how many quests. I said one person. When we came to check in I told him the room was for my sister. He became very rude and called me a liar, saying I said the room was for me. He asked prying questions about me being local. We decided to go somewhere else because we didn't like his attitude and told him so. He very rudely told us to get off his property or he would call the police.
My sister and I are two middle aged, congenial women who are not prone to altercations with hotel managers. I really don't understand what triggered this guys behavior. It was extreme for the circumstances as if he were unbalanced. His complete arrogance had nothing to do with anything we did. I will never set foot near that hotel again and do not recommend it to anyone. We went down the street a couple blocks to a very friendly, clean and welcoming hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Super 8 Berkeley? Share your experiences!