“EXCELLENT SERVICE, NICE ROOM, GREAT BREAKFAST, GREAT LOCATION....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Berkeley

You added Super 8 Berkeley to your Saves list
Super 8 Berkeley
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1619 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703   |
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Houston, Texas
“EXCELLENT SERVICE, NICE ROOM, GREAT BREAKFAST, GREAT LOCATION....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed there in the month of October with my family. Our room was close by road with 3 beds on it. Amazingly, there was room inside room and it was huge. It has microwave, coffee in the room and nice decorated bathroom. When we arrived at motel, the manager Tony and front desk guy was amazingly helpful. They described the service we get there on our stay. Free internet, awesome continental breakfast with varieties of coffees. Once we had TV blacked out in our room but instantly we got it fixed by the manager. We got our rooms cleaned everyday by service maids, they were amazingly helpful as well. Motel location was great: close by bart, bus station, downtown, and UC Berkeley where our son is studying there right now. I recommend everybody to enjoy the stay in this motel. I'm going back for sure next time. Love it.

Room Tip: we stayed in the room close by road with 3 bed. It was quite and super awesome.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you so much for being a loyal super 8 member. Please come back again there fore we can give you great service. I am happy you enjoyed the great newly renovated rooms and I am happy you enjoyed the area as well. come back soon have a super day!

with much respect,

mangement

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

A pretty good motel, in walking distance from Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley. Room was quite clean, and had everything I needed. Not bad at all for 99 USD per night.

Sleep quality was OK, but was a bit unlucky with noisy neighbors in the room next door who partied through most of Saturday night. Kept me awake, but didn't bother to let the front desk know.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

tiny1980, Owner at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Im happy you enjoyed you stay on our heavenly beds. please come back soon and I am happy that everything was walking distance for you. the campus, bart, bus, food everything is 5 mintues walking and im happy everything worked out for you. have a bless day

with much respect,

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We found this hotel quite adequate for our visit to the Berkeley area. We did not experience the noise as mentioned in previous reviews and we were on the first floor. The bed was extremely comfortable for our 3 night stay and the clean bathroom was nicely updated with a great shower. The breakfast was certainly not the best--toast, waffles, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, sweet roll, coffee and juice--pretty standard but at least a free breakfast. We went into San Francisco using the BART which was close to the hotel, and there are also a variety of restaurants within walking distance. For the price, this was a very acceptable hotel for the San Francisco area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
THank you for staying with us and and i am happy you found a gem in berkeley. please come back soon and enjoy our high speed internet and our hot breakfast again soon. have a super duper day.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night for visiting Berkeley during our round trip. We have stayed here 2 years ago, but our experience has definitely worsened. The rooms were still OK, but we did not like the service. The man at the desk was not very friendly and gave very confusing answers to our questions why we could not have 2 rooms facing away from University Ave. Obviously, he just did not want to grant us this wish because plenty of rooms were free that night. And we were very confused about his comment that he gives us a large room but we must not touch the beds we are not using, so that they do not have to clean them. Btw, we did not even consider going to breakfast, after we were told that we can come to the office, but this information came only after asking. Overall, it seemed that hospitality and friendlyness are not part of this super 8 anymore.

• Stayed October 2012
tiny1980, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
sorry, you loved the room but you were MAD and THOUGHT IT WAS BAD SERVICE becasue we did not give you a room facing away from the university. WOW! because like we mentioned first come first serve in rooms choice and you should ahve put in a request. we did not have a room on of your choice therefore its bad service? let me think about this one............

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just got back from a 5 day break in Berkeley, visiting my son who is lucky enough to be studying there. Made the mistake of booking Super 8. On the face of it - it appears to present good value for money, spacious double room, flat screen tv, microwave, fridge, air conditioning and clean and tidy but in reality the actual experience gave me sleepless nights - literally! On my second night there I was awoken by a hammering on the door. As a single female traveller I was panicked to look out of the window to see a man shouting and hammering at the door. I was extremely distressed and felt extremely vulnerable. I called reception for assistance but to no avail - no one answered despite multiple calls to front desk and even the main hotel telephone number. Needless to say I had no more sleep that night and was jumpy and nervous for the remainder of the break. Reception staff were apologetic the next morning and assured me they would be more vigilant the following night - they reckoned the guy was just after money and I was perfectly safe inside - which I am sure I was but at the time was extremely frightened. My other main gripe with this place was the very noisy start to the cleaning regime - anytime after 6.30 am this would begin and clatterring and banging and doors slamming woke me (from my restless slumber) every day. In mitigation staff did seem concerned after my middle of the night incident and tried to be helpful but this is not a place I would consider again and would alert other lone female travellers to my unpleasant experience

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
sorry, you felt like someone knocked on your door in the morning. we are 24 hours open for help. and you told us in the morning and i said i can give you a refund or check you out or change your room. i even was very sorry that i stayed up until 4am the morning morning to see if it does not happen again which it NEVER DID. you check out and said you loved your stay and you would come back. now you are writing a bad review that does not add up and given you a discount. no one even knocked on your door because we checked everything and there was no one kncoking on your door. so we are sorry but please do not write a bad review beacause you wanted a discount. sorry

management

Been to Super 8 Berkeley? Share your experiences!