“Peaceful, delightful, friendly” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Barbara, California
“Peaceful, delightful, friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

This is an old Julia Morgan historical building and I loved it! Staff were helpful and friendly, building was elegant and well maintained. Our room had a beautiful quilt on the bed and windows opened to inner courtyard, so very quiet.
It felt like a safe and nurturing place for a single woman, but my husband enjoyed it too. Quiet and definitely not a party place, but very pleasant. Loved using the indoor pool also.
Nice breakfast in morning was included.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
SK Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Great beds, pillows are unfortunately overly soft. Lots of heritage if you want that, but it's not as amazing as I had hoped. Breakfast was ok but also not amazing. Great access to campus, though the free clinic up the way made me happy I wasn't driving. ("clean needles save lives" is great, but junkies break into cars too).

Kinda pricey for the unique experience I was hoping for, but there are some great gems; if you need to work the library is awesome. Lots of events on though (almost a community centre), so you may be interrupted.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Really enjoyed my stay at this lovely historic landmark. The hotel has many beautiful places to sit both indoors and out, and with free access to hot drinks from level one, you feel very at home wandering, drinking tea, & sitting and using wifi in the public areas of the hotel. My room was charming with a huge walk-in wardrobe and lovely bathroom. Great location close to UC Berkeley and the BART station.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I had booked a night at this hotel during Cal move-in weekend. After getting my son moved into his dorm, I walked to the hotel to get checked in. The guy at the desk had my reservation, and had printed out paper with all my information, but no room had been assigned and I was told that none was available. I'm not even sure how that happens? I would have felt better if they had no record of my reservation. Since it was move-in weekend, there was nothing close to the campus. Which was a problem because I didn't have a car (we had flown in from out of state). The location of the hotel is great and it looked clean from what I could tell, but I would never attempt to stay here again because there was "no room at the inn" for me...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed in the City Club for more that 6 weeks in 2008 and 2009 and I can tell you... Best thing ever (if you don't miss a TV in your room). The rooms are tiny but the building is amazing. There is a private indoor pool in the 1st floor (used it every day). Free breakfast (not like Super8 crap, al real breakfast with daly changing special).

Parking is 12 bucks a day. Also, University is just 1 block away... I love it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Stayed here in April for my sisters wedding. Pros -- Good location in Berkley, beautiful building and grounds, good breakfast. Cons- The rooms are tiny (it is a vintage hotel). The staff at this hotel are a headache. There was one staff (of the four we interacted with) who was helpful. When they accidentally booked our card for four nights (we only stayed two) they told us "it sounds like your problem". That attitude was constant. Any request was met with a bad attitude (again with the exception of one staff).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

I stayed at the BCC with my teenage son recently. The room rate was great (particularly given the links to other university-type eating/hotel clubs), the public spaces were fabulous (designed by famed CA architect Julia Morgan in 1930), the pool was gorgeous (I didn't use the free access to the UC athletic system across the street), and the food was fine. A very tasty burger, great breakfasts, free coffee and tea through the day (I worked on my computer at the hotel much of the week).

And I unexpectedly saw a play about the Jewish egg farmers of Petaluma--it has a real sense of a community cultural hub.

Reminded me of my wonderful experiences at the Tabard Inn in Washington. No TV in the rooms (there's one elsewhere in the hotel) but the historic vibe was more than worth the tradeoff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Berkeley City Club? Share your experiences!