“Not the Holiday Inn --” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Capitola, California
“Not the Holiday Inn --”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I love this hotel; I've stayed there three times and am booked for a fourth. It's beautiful -- the architecture, courtyards, swimming pool -- it's like stepping back in time. The rooms I've stayed in were very nicely appointed, and the view of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge are wonderful.

However -- it's not the kind of hotel my husband would like. There's no tv, the wifi is iffy, there's no air conditioning, and the street can be noisy if you leave the windows open, as I do. If this is what you're looking for, pass on by. If you're interested in a lovely hotel with charm and history, this is it. They have fans in the closet, and I always run one all night, to cover some of the noise. Yes, the street noise wakes me up early, but it's a nice kind of waking up.

I recommend the Berkeley City Club highly.

Room Tip: I guess that ones nearer to the elevator have a better chance at good wifi. But just enjoy it anywa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
BerkeleyCityClub, Manager at Berkeley City Club, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Not the Holiday Inn indeed... You'll only find one TV throughout the entire hotel tucked away in one of our many rooms. The wifi is iffy though we're going to be making improvements in the future, be sure to check back when you're husband joins you!

We look forward to your return,

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
So. California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the Berkeley City Club March 12-13th using a Groupon. Warmly greeted by Mary at check in she explained the parking situation, a lot adjacent to the hotel ($20 a night) or finding available street parking. After using their lot the first night we were fortunate to find street parking right outside the hotel for the second night. Our room #609 was a corner room on the top floor with a view of the Berkeley Hills and of the campus pool and track. Adjacent to the room were doors so one could step out onto a deck to see the beautiful bay and bridges. The room was quiet and tastefully decorated with antiques. Bed and bedding very comfortable and the room was spotless. Vintage bath with tile floor very period.

Sitting in the public rooms reminded me of being a guest at a miniature Hearst Castle. These rooms reflecting the grace and talent of Julia Morgan. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast with the fresh assortment of pasties, cereals and fruits. The coffee served was Peet's.

We were disappointed in the "Happy Hour" expecting some sort of hors d'oeuvres and drinks that were Happy Hour priced. We got a $6 glass of house wine (poured short) and a $5 beer. The only hors d'oeuvres was a small bowl of popcorn. Maybe some nice background music would have added to the atmosphere. My husband would have liked a TV in the room but I was OK without.

The Berkeley City Club is in a good location near BART and restaurants. We walked down to Shattuck street for dinner at Venus that was delicious but make sure you have reservations. We were there on a Wed. night early and the place was completely full by 6pm mostly locals.

All in all we really enjoyed our visit to the Berkeley City Club and we will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: For quietness choose 6th floor facing the hills.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotts Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a wonderful building, designed by Julia Morgan, and has been converted into a hotel. There are also many amenities, a restaurant, a theater, a ballroom, meeting rooms, a great lobby area, a library, and a museum. However, the most impressive amenity is the indoor swimming pool. It resembles the indoor swimming pool at Hearst Castle in San Simeon, and it is wonderful!
The rooms are all different, with comfortable beds, tasteful period decor, original artwork, and views of the Bay & the Berkeley hills. The grounds are beautifully maintained, and there are hidden little gardens and courtyards all over. It is fun to explore. The location is walking distance to UC Berkeley, Shattuck &Telegraph Avenues, as well as the BART station. The hotel offers a parking lot adjacent to it, for a reasonable fee. We've been there 4 times in the past 3 years, and have not had a problematic room. The staff is helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: For a quieter night, ask for a room overlooking the Berkeley Hills, or the Bay, rather than Durant A...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BerkeleyCityClub, Manager at Berkeley City Club, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for all the compliments Donna- sounds like you settle in quite well when you visit. Be sure to keep your eye out for our Special Offers only on Tripadvisor.... we have them regularly!

See you again soon,

Hotel Management
Scituate, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

This building is very interesting-small doors leading to small garden courtyards. Very well maintained. Staff very friendly. We were there to visit my daughter whom attends UC Berkeley--the location is perfect! Just a few blocks from campus!! Breakfast in the dining room was buffet--limited selection, but very good! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed February 2013
We're glad to hear you were so close to your daughter during your last visit to Berkeley. Looking forward to having you back soon!
Ben Lomond, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Yep, we just spent the last evening in the 30's listening to period music and enjoying the different public rooms designed by the same architect as Hearst Castle - Julia Morgan. Our room even had a magnificient view of the Bay! Just wish I had my bathing suit because the indoor swimming pool certainly looked inviting.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BerkeleyCityClub, Manager at Berkeley City Club, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
PT & NT - Yes bring your bathing suit on your next visit to the BCC! Thanks for mentioning the 30's music, it just sets the perfect tone throughout the hotel. Looking forward to having you back!

South Lake Tahoe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

An historic hotel built in 1930 still retains the grace and courtesies of another age. The staff are wonderful; helpful and friendly. We arrived for our 4th stay there and there was construction going on from 7am-3pm next door...new student housing is being built and it is very noisy during these times on the bay side. Still, we were up early and didn't mind the noise; in fact it was quite interesting to watch construction going on. I had an $81 Groupon which was applied, no problem, to the $89/night rate. This was such a bargain, especially with the delicious breakfast served in the beautiful dining hall with it's gorgeous giant bouquet of fresh flowers. The rooms are very small, but the plus is that they all have original art work in them, no TVs, and windows that open to bring in the delightful bay air.WiFi is best out on the floors by the elevators, or down in the lobby; the best areas are noted around the building with little placards. The beds are firm, but very comfortable with soft sheets and extra blankets/pillows if you need them. Peet's coffee and artisan teas served round the clock, with coffee service in the lobby. A delight is the oversized Scrabble game in the "loggia" right off the garden, as well as the beautiful indoor pool. I love the BCC for its tranquility, its proximity to BART and campus and all things Berkeley. There is parking available for an extra fee per day, but we always chose to get long term BART parking, at either North Berkeley or El Cerrito, then take BART into downtown Berkeley and walk the 10 minutes to the hotel. There is an excellent place for breakfast 2 blocks from the hotel at Shattuck/Durant called "La Note". Also, the restaurant in the BCC, called "Julias" has been taken over by a new chef; we did not eat there, but the menu looked promising. If you want to go to SF, it is quite convenient to take BART and/or Muni to get around

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LONG BEACH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was my first visit to the hotel, and was interested to see why it is currently rated at #2 on tripadvisor for Berkeley hotels. Check-in was not a good start as I had booked a Queen room, but was given a double, a very small room, but I did get switched to the room I had booked. The Queen room was also small, but clean, with great views over the bay to San Francisco. I should warn you that there is currently construction taking place in the adjacent lot, and it was very noisy from 6:30am on the Friday morning. Saturday was ok as there was no construction activity. There was no Wifi in my room as the signal was not strong enough to reach it. I was on the 6th floor, well away from the Wifi hotspot located near the elevators. The included breakfast was good, with fresh fruit, cereal, toast and muffins available. The interior of the hotel is great and I would encourage you to explore and take in the history. I paid $145 per night plus tax. This is way over-priced in my opinion. I am not sure why there is not a reduction in rates due to the construction next door, but even so it is not good value for money. There are no tv's in the rooms, and not even a pen and writing pad. Coffee and tea is available near the lobby, but not 24 hours a day unlike mentioned in other reviews. My room was clean and well-maintained and the bed was very comfortable. Check-out was also not a good experience, as my booking through booking.com was for $145 per night for the Thursday and Friday night, but was told upon check-out that this was wrong, and that the rate was $165 for the Friday night. I don't expect an argument when I check-out of a highly rated hotel, or any hotel for that matter. I did subsequently receive a credit though for the $20 over-charge. Overall I was disappointed with my stay, and do not think it should have such a high-rating. This is just my honest opinion based on the variety of hotels I have stayed in the area, and compared to other hotels visited across the country. The first impression of any hotel stay is the check-in, and the last the check-out, and neither were impressive.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the bay unless you like construction noise during weekdays.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your letting us know about your experience here at our hotel. We are sorry to hear the construction woke you up Friday morning, they usually don't start with any noise this early in the morning. Though I'm happy to hear you were offered a queen bed and were able to enjoy the San Francisco Bay views, what a sight!

Thank you again for your feedback as your overview will be discussed at our next weekly meeting.

- The Berkeley City Club

Been to Berkeley City Club? Share your experiences!