“Convenient and Safe” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
Atlanta, Georgia
“Convenient and Safe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

During a business trip, I booked a two-bedroom suite so that we could save some money. However, there are not "two bedrooms" in the suite -- instead, there is a normal hotel room with two full beds, with one additional room closed off with a king-sized bed. This is a little different than what you'd expect normally from a "two-bedroom" description.

The room was nice enough, with a full kitchen. However, there were no pots, pans, or plates that we saw. Also, the room was very awkwardly set up.

The shower was fairly strong, which I've come to expect as a Holiday Inn Express standard. Towels were relatively fresh and adequate.The bed was mediocre and felt like it had crumbs in it. The king sized bed comforter had a "K" drawn on it in sharpie. However, the internet was incredibly fast, and service was a breeze.

Room Tip: I picked a suite on the first floor, was happy with it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berkeley, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Albert L,

We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy you enjoyed the shower and internet service. I have noted that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort with the bed and room layout during your stay and would like to extend my most sincere apologies for this. I have taken note of your comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We picked this hotel because it is close to CAL. The hotel is relatively new so the room is extremely clean. Bed is very comfortable with all the necessary amenities. The room rate is not cheap due to its location I guess. We spent 2 nights there and really enjoy our stay. The hot breakfast was very nice with plenty of selections. Definitely we will come back in the future.
On a side note, we had dinner in the Thai restaurant next door, the food was surprisingly good and priced reasonably.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Wow what a Great Location this Hotel has, not far from the College Campus on one side,
But close enough to San Francisco just a Hop onto the Bay Bridge at the end of the street,
and Quick. Tons of fantastic eating places with in walking distance.
Dont Miss the Thai Food Next door, or the BBQ Place around the corner from the Drug Store.

Ritchie H

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Reno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Perfect for a quick overnight in Berkeley, where rooms can be expensive. This property is affordable and the room was clean and well appointed. Comfortable bed, smooth AC, quiet night sleep. Within walking distance of both Thai and Kabob restaurants. I did not try the wifi, and I skipped the breakfast the next morning, but it looked pretty standard fare.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Very nice hotel. Location was not too convenient (about 10-15 minute walk from BART train). Breakfast in the morning was great! Friendly staff. Very clean room. No complaints at alI! would definitely come back again!

• Stayed March 2013
Centreville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Booked this hotel through a third party for 4 adults (paid for a room to accommodate 4 adults), but was put in a room with one king bed. The guy checking us in saw there was 4 of us upon check in, but gave us a one bed room. We were sent to the 3 floor with all of our luggage and when we saw the room we called down and asked for a room with two beds. We were told leave the room immediately and bring all of our stuff back down to the lobby. We went back down and was then told it would be an additonal $20 a night for a second bed. I showed him the paperwork that we had booked and paid for a room with two beds and was told "we do not have to honor third party bookings." He then said it would be $20 a night for a second bed - hotel policy. Great customer service - NOT!! I already paid for a room with 2 beds and now they want to up charge me for what I ALREADY PAID FOR!! We said fine and he gave us a room back on the third floor and we had to take all the luggage back up again. This went from bad to worse very fast. I called the third party I booked the hotel with and they are sending me a check for the $40 and gave me a $25 credit on my account and blocked this hotel from my account. I travel all the time and I have never been treated like this before. This hotel is subpar to begin with and then on purpose give 4 people a room for 2 so they can up charge, what a joke. Beware!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berkeley, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear POOKINPORT,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay. Please understand that bed types are not guaranteed at check-in as it will depend on what is available and occupancy level of the hotel and since you booked your reservation in a third party site the bed type you will received will depend on what is available. It does not happen all the time, I guess the hotel was busy at the time you've check-in that's why the bed type you reserved is no longer available. It a good thing that the third party site refunded and credited money in your account. Our staff members are only following the policy of the hotel. Nevertheless, thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I needed to be in Berkeley for a week and didn't want to hassle with traffic so I found this Holiday Inn Express located very conveniently near where I was to be for the week. The rooms were very nice, appears they hotel was recently remodeled. Front desk staff was friendly at check in and check out. Breakfast was included and each morning I found a some good hot coffee and a decent breakfast selection.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the elevators as possible, the drink vending machine is located by the el...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Berkeley? Share your experiences!