“An Oasis of Relaxation, Great Service & Good Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Oakland, California
“An Oasis of Relaxation, Great Service & Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I am writing this for the 246 Grand Avenue, Oakland, location of this restaurant, I have been here twice, once for Happy hour and early dinner and once with a friend for dinner. The service here is quietly attentive and friendly. They checked at regular intervals on our entire experience. My Iraqi guest loved the atmosphere. The outside benches are covered in Arabian carpets and I discovered that the Arabic word for "carpet" was "carpet." They have Arabic light fixtures and comfortable outside as well as inside tables. They have a good beer and wine list. The champagne split was a deal at $5. They bring you tasty hummus and pita bread automatically but I love their Baba Gannouj pureed smoked eggplant with spices since it has more kick and flavor. Entrees were Lamb Osso Buco in a Barolo wine sauce and Khoresht Baademjan, a Mediterranean tomato ragout made with sauteed onion, garlic, Persian Saffron, topped with grilled tomato and eggplant covering a perfectly cooked Lamb shank. The smells transported us to pleasure as they were placed on the table. The fresh vegetables of zucchini and carrots were well cooked. They also had live jazz music playing that Friday evening accompanied by an accordion. My guest remarked that the sound level was perfect and not a distraction to our conversation. I will definitely go again to try out their famous lunch buffet. Of course the scenery is great too with the park right across the street!

• Visited August 2013

Oakland
“Best Hummus ever and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We have been here a few times and always like it but we really LOVED it last week. The hummus is unlike any other - the server?owner? told us that it was made by slow cooking dried garbanzo beans etc. They will dish out as much as want with fresh pita while you decide on your dishes. I had the cousous special and the garlic in it is indescribable(sp?). My hubby couldn't decide what beer to get - they gave him a generous sample pour. So nice. I would love to try the lunch buffet. I can only say this place was always good but has gotten better with age and is now top of our list of favorities.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Actually for the one in Oakland, but good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I am writing this review based on the service and food we got at their location on Grand street in Oakland. Surely both locations are good. We went there on a Friday evening the week before Christmas when it was fairly quiet, around 8 p.m. That night, there was a band playing, which was really a pleasant addition to the attractive decor and generally cozy, but refined vibe of the restaurant. My fiancé, my uncle, and I went with a couple of friends who live in the neighborhood.

The server brought out some complimentary hummus and pita bread for us to enjoy while we decided what to order. The hummus was creamy and had an unusual, salty, almost briny aftertaste, but it tasted good. We ordered a Mediterranean Sampler to share as an appetizer. The stuffed grapes leaves were enormous and nicely seasoned, very tasty. There was more hummus, and a tabbouleh that met my standards as being what tabbouleh should taste like -- fresh, the right kind of dressing, soft bulghur, etc, The baba ganoush was unusual in that it tasted like the eggplant had not been smoked or flame-roasted. That was a little disappointing, but the eggplant dip was still tasty, though it didn't really remind me of baba ganoush,

I had the Khoresht Baadjeman, which is a sort of ragoût or vegetable stew, made with sauteed onion and garlic, saffron and some other seasonings, with grilled tomato and eggplant. You can get it with either basmati rice of Israeli couscous; I opted for the latter. The pearly couscous soaked up the broth well. It came out topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt. I had asked to have it made spicy, and they obliged. It was not super-spicy, but it had a kick to it. My uncle asked for it made without heat, and he said it was tasty and not at all spicy. Our friends enjoyed some attractive-looking, fresh salads -- two caprese, one Greek. They told me that everything was very good. Then two people ordered dessert; one person ordered mint ice cream, which she enjoyed, and another person ordered baklava and raved about how delicious it was.

We ended up staying a bit after the restaurant was officially closed at 9, but the staff told us to take our time. They place a premium on the customers enjoying their experience, and I think that is noteworthy. The waiter was very efficient, friendly, and professional, and kept an eye on our water and clearing away dishes without being prompted. These are very friendly people.

We thought about coming back for the buffet, but we decided to try another spot the next day. However, next time we are in town, we are so going for the buffet, no question! I think the place offers delicious food at a good value even when it is not a buffet, so be sure to check out their Oakland location at 246 Grand Avenue if you're in Oakland!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland, California
“Delicious Persian food: 245 Grand Ave. (Lake Merritt) in Oakland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've been curious about this place for a while, and finally a friend brought me here for the impressive buffet, which is huge, with an emphasis on vegetables and salads, and very fresh. Of course, there was meat also: fish, chicken and delicious meat balls in a savory sauce. It's not "all you can eat", but they let you fill your plate a second time and that should be enough for anyone. There's a lot of variety, and while we were eating new items were regularly brought out. You can enjoy an Indian buffet for about the same price or maybe a bit more, but you won't find so much fresh vegetables. One of the owners, Amirr, came by just to ask if we were enjoying our meal and thank us for our business. I can't wait to help myself again to the buffet, as well as try something from the menu. Delicious food and friendly service - a great value!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland, CA
“Generous Middle Eastern Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Tried the new Telegraph Ave location near Derby. We like ethnic foods, but usually not buffet style -- this is a GREAT exception. A really really fresh buffet and tasty example of the Mediterranean style... If you like La Mediterranean on College, you will love this place. Nice space too, pretty good date or morning after date place.

• Visited August 2011