“Grossest Experience of My Life” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1620 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Boone, North Carolina
“Grossest Experience of My Life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I was staying at the Golden Bear Inn for a job interview the next day. Right when I walked into my room I found a box labeled “love cuffs” underneath my bed along with some make-up and goldfish. I don’t want to get into the images that were running through my head but it was a disturbing environment. I just needed a place to sleep, wake up, and walk to my daylong job-interview. I spoke to them prior to me checking in an they knew I would be gone all day. I found the trashy make-up that I threw away and eye liner on a counter top in my room. The TV channel was flipped to another station. I am 90% sure someone “used” my room when I was gone. The Golden Bear Inn experience isn’t one that I will EVER be having again.

Room Tip: I would never suggest this hotel for anyone!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
TheBearGM, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We welcome many interviewees, such as yourself, on a pretty regular basis. This is the first time we've had any issues with the stay and we apologize for the inconvenience. I can assure you that no one, outside of housekeeping, entered your room as no one had access besides you. Sometimes housekeeping will turn the television on and flip channels to make sure everything is working properly, which sounds like the case here.
Also, while working hard everyday, it is possible they missed something along the way. We're sorry for this and will be working with housekeeping to pay special close attention to detail.
Thanks again for your review, we take these and use them to better ourselves and our property.

Chris Koertge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We love staying at this little hotel. The first room we were given...107...was old with bad shower. We asked to be moved and were given #112 which was updated and very pleasant. The hotel is always clean and so convenient to exploring Berkeley and Oakland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an renovated shower.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Yuba City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

The staff checking me in and out of the motel were very nice. The room was on the end by a main street but it was big with two rooms and 4 beds so it was pretty quiet. The furniture is dated and old, the beds just okay, wifi not so good and the room I was in smelled of plumbing with hair and grime in it. (the bathroom was very dated) I sprayed room freshener and perfume in the room but the smell kept coming back. I told the staff as I left so may take care of the smell and other rooms might not have the smell.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
ckoertge, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about our property. I have shared your comments with my staff and will be working with them to help correct the issue. Attention to detail is something we aim to master and we will follow up with this to make sure it is rectified. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.

Chris Koertge
College Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

People here are very friendly and helpful. Especially, they are very trustful. I left my watch in the room when I checked out. Later I realized that I left it there. I contacted this motel and they were very honest and helpful in getting my watch back. Actually, it was my wedding watch so is very precious for me. In addition, the room is cozy and clean given the room is very cheap.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Chris was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful at check in. Night staff also helpful. The exterior reminded me of the traditional motor courts with well-kept buildings and lovely decorative flowers and vines painted on the window frames. The room was simple but neat and clean. Refrig, microwave, decent bed, good sized shower. Clean, well-maintained. One-story, park in front of room.

The area is one of those mixed/in transition sections of the city. At first glance it's not too encouraging, but as we walked around getting from train station and looking for food (after dark), we noticed people walking dogs, cyclists, decently lit streets, well-kept homes and businesses. Found local restaurants and chains, good variety.

I forgot my stuff in refrigerator but when I called Chris he immediately said he would send my lunch bag and water bottle to me. He also helped us get from airport to inn by printing map & instructions.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This motel appears to have been built in the 1920's by the tile in our bathroom. Our room was very very clean, brightly painted colorful walls, comfy bed, some nice decorations on the walls. But it was the towels that I loved. Softest ever! The room was small by today standards but clean. The courtyard is right out of the 1940-1950's. What was wrong? The thin walls. The person in the room had their TV on most of the time and we could hear it. He was watching Fox News! Then he snored all night. If you just need an inexpensive place to stay for a night or two this would be a good choice. However it is not within easy walking distance of just about anything.

Room Tip: There is what appears to be a new two story section that might be a better choice
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
shrewsbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1 night after flying into san Francisco before traveling on motel wasn't too bad but area looked and felt unsafe was glad only there to sleep before moving on.check in was easy and room had fridge microwave and coffee machine bed was comfy just a shame about the area.

• Stayed September 2013