“Great place to sleep, good value, close to the BART, awesome staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

You added Americas Best Value Inn to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1620 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Central Valley, CA
“Great place to sleep, good value, close to the BART, awesome staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here with our two children the night between seeing two S.F. Giants games. The property is vintage and has been in the area since the 1940s. It has a quaint, Spanish-style charm that our whole family loved. The staff (Chris at the front desk) was friendly, helpful, and accommodating (able to get us into our room almost 2 hrs early!). He shared ideas for things to do in the area as well as wonderful places to eat (Go to Acme Bakery across the street and 900 Grayson - delish!). We were within a few minutes of the freeway (I-80) and less than a mile from the North Berkeley BART station (approx 30-40 min ride into S.F.).
The property was quiet. We had a 2 queen bed room. While our room (130 under the stairs) was specifically mentioned in another review, we didn't have any of the issues they did. I was leery when given the room key b/c I had been on here reading reviews, but we didn't hear any neighbors or street noise. Beds were comfy and we all slept well. Our room was very clean (and I was looking for dirt, but couldn't find obvious examples of it), but was faintly musty when first entering. You will see chips in the tile and the towel bar was wobbly, but so is mine at home. WiFi was available in our room (I didn't have my laptop with me to try it out, however) and my husband appreciated the full size coffee pot. While aspects of the property could use updating (carpet most noticeably), we found the vintage fixtures, tile, etc. charming.
My kids thought the place was great! We'll absolutely go back! It's a great deal for a place to sleep while you explore Berkeley and/or San Francisco.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Florence, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

It's a little trip back in time as the bathroom had all the original tile dating from the 1960s or 1970s..I can't remember, but quaint. Was clean and pretty quiet. Right across the street from a fabulous bakery so I was happy.

Room Tip: It's a good home base when you have calls to make in the East Bay area and your main interest is...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Grand Rapids MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed three nights recently, just so we could be near our friends, that live around the corner. The hotel is styled in classic old California motel, which actually is pretty cool. The rooms are nothing special, but have all the basics. I know some have complained of rock hard beds, but ours was rather soft and we slept just fine. The main draw back for us was that it's a pet friendly hotel (which normally I don't mind), but there were two dogs in the rooms on either side of us. For the most part they were quiet during the night, but an afternoon nap was out of the question. The hotel didn't look busy, so why didn't they put the people traveling without pets, away from the rooms who have them (especially putting us in the middle of four dogs...seriously?)!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We stayed approx 15 days there in Aug 2010. 3 stars for the comfort level - just about OK . A quiet place with comfy rooms but no breakfast arrangement . 5 stars for the extremely helpful staff there . Overall a 4 star experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Mission Viejo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I thought I could rely on the reviews, but alas, no, Checking in was easy, but it bothered me that the desk person kept on that my reservation was upgraded to a 2-Q room from a 2-single. I would not have made the reservation if it was 2-singles. So we went to our room and could not find it, apparently, the door was tucked underneath the stairs - don't get room 130. Upon opening the door, there was this blast of odor, a mix of smoky and the typical motel carpet odor. And this was a non-smoking room. The shower leaked and fixtures were old. The fan did not work nor the thermostat control set to recirculate the air. The beds were slightly soft and not too saggy. I can hear people dragging their feet up the stairs and their conversations. The room looked clean and made. The area around ABVI was not the nicest area in Berkeley and there is a statement in the keyholder about making sure your valuables are protected. Wifi was spotty, but once logged in, it was good.
I will not return here and will book at other hotels, even if for a few $$ more.

Room Tip: Not Rm 130
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
TheBearGM, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Thanks for writing in regards to your stay. We never like hearing about an unsatisfied guest experience. We are a non-smoking property so any rooms smelling of smoke is as unwanted for you as it is us. The room you commented on, Rm 130, is tucked around on the side of the stairs. We have many regular guests who actually request this room for its location but if it was not your preference, we could have easily moved you to another location. The property has been a part of the Berkeley landscape since 1946 so there is a lot of history associated with our property and we do whatever we can to make sure everything is as up to date and functional as possible. If you found that this was not the case, we apologize and maintenance will correct immediately. We’re not sure what was to dislike about the surrounding area as many businesses occupy the near vicinity and we feel the area has a lot to offer. Across the street is the legendary Acme Bread, Café Fanny and Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant. Diagonal from Genki Japanese Restaurant that is located in our parking lot is the locally owned Animal Farm pet store. Off the main drag of San Pablo Avenue, we are surrounded by residential neighborhoods. Sorry again to hear you were not satisfied with your stay and hopefully you'll give us another chance to show you what a wonderful town Berkeley is and all it has to offer.
gold beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

By far the absolute strangest place I've ever stayed!! After driving 7 hours yesterday as you'd imagine we were hoping to get a good night sleep, not the case! The beds for starters are rOck hard! I literally feel like I'm sleeping on concrete! My backs killing me and I am not exaggerating. Guests here are insanely disrespectful. I see why the office closes at midnight and the staff leaves, it's because they'd be awake all night dealing with inconsiderate noisy guests. It's 1:10am and people next door are laughing slamming into the walls opening and closing there front door every 5 minutes literally partying and there's nothing I can do but lay here trying to sleep to be rudely awaken by laughter blaring music or people just being rude! Then let's not forget how outdated these rooms are. Definitely not your standard motel/hotel room. The walls are paper thin you can completely hear word for word conversations between people in the adjacent rooms to ours as im sure they can hear ours too. Old furnishings, no a/c which right now doesn't matter but to some I know it's a big deal anytime. Small outdated tv, fridge and microwave may be the newest things in here. All in all I don't recommend if a peaceful sleep is what you r after.

• Stayed October 2011
TheBearGM, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback in regards to your unpleasant stay. Unfortunately, one unruly guest can ruin it for everyone, which appears to be the case here. We certainly do not condone this type of behavior, but we are also aware that it can happen at times in a college town such as this. Having this been your second night, simply come to the front desk and make us aware of the situation and we will do everything in our power to correct it. Our staff prides itself on catering to the needs of our guest, so we would have been more than happy to change your room to help accommodate you more sufficiently with this regard as well as the concrete bed. Again, thanks for your feedback and we hope to have the chance to prove to you that our property is not “AWFUL”.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Cute and quaint motel with nice, spacious rooms and comfortable beds. The person at the front desk was very helpful and gave us a map of the area. They were also very helpful in sorting out a problem with Expedia regarding billing. The rooms are nicely decorated, the beds are large, and everything is spotlessly clean. Plenty of towels and shampoo and soap, coffee supplies and a little fridge and microwave. Ironing board and closet space and lots of drawers.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that the shower pressure was minimal, and took a long time to get hot.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple