“Hearty German food with plenty of veggie options” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Description: Restaurant, Bier & Wine Bar. Fresh, healthy, local German cuisine
Berkeley, California
“Hearty German food with plenty of veggie options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is one of the better restaurants in the It is Berkeley of course so at Gaumenkitzel the classic German sausage and potatoes options are complimented with a nice variety of vegetarian friendly options. They have a lot of different beers options, somehow beer for breakfast just feels right at a German restaurant and they have some very tasty brews on tap.

The space itself is well lit and pleasant and the staff have always been attentive and pleasant when we have gone.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
“German food in California!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I was in Berkley on a business trip and stopped for lunch on Friday. It was really weird eating in a German restaurant but the food was great. I ordered a very authentic pumpkin soup and plate of cheese, sausage and bread. Excellent.

Visited November 2013
San Diego, California
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Service was great, brews were great, food was FANTASTIC! We had a reservation, and were seated immediately. Enough menu selections that we'll be back to try items our group of five didn't.

Visited October 2013
NW FL
“Great German”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband, of European heritage, is always on the lookout for German food when we travel. So of course on a recent trip we ended up here. I had the pretzel and sausage plate. I had no idea a pretzel could be that flavorful! The sausage (brats) were smaller than most brats I've had but so tasty that I was perfectly satisfied. He also had brats and, well, he wanted to come back every night of the trip! The rye bread was quite good as well, dense but not too dense.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oakland, CA
“Don't have to move to Germany!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I'm of German parents & this restaurant reminds me of their cooking & my visits to Germany. I love this restaurant! The food is always good & the wait staff friendly & responsive. There's good German beer on tap. The restaurant is roomy & It's easy to carry on a conversation without raising your voice...a rarity! I keep going back!! I'm lucky that I'm local!

• Visited May 2013