“Beautiful house, comfortable rooms, fabulous hostess” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mary's Bed and Breakfast

Mary's Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Mary's Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Mary's Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
47 Alvarado Road, Berkeley, CA 94705   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia
“Beautiful house, comfortable rooms, fabulous hostess”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I really enjoyed my time at Mary's B&B. I was traveling on business to attend an event at the Claremont Hotel and Mary's place was within a 5 minute walk. Mary is a superb hostess, very friendly and helpful, and the hip San Francisco grandma you wish you had. The breakfasts were modest but delicious. Mary's home is the perfect place to curl up with a good book and unwind after a long day. My room was spacious, clean, comfortable and overlooked the Bay bridge in the far distance. The neighborhood is full of gorgeous homes and a nice area to walk around. Note that Mary's place is about a 20-25 minute walk from public transportation. I highly recommend Mary's B&B if you are looking for a relaxing getaway in beautiful Berkeley, CA.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Uithoorn, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

During a course at Haas School of Business I had a very pleasant time at Mary's place. Spending my time uphill in one of the most beautifull places of Berkeley's. Mary is very friendly, open and serviceminded in all kind, morning breakfast with fresh fruit, coffee, homemade bread tea and newpaper. Nice view from the bedroom, daily cleaned the bed- and bathroom. She brought me to the BART with her own car etc. etc. Chapeau!

Last but not least: she has a mountainbike, very usefull for my daily trips tot the university and for an easy travel through Berkeley and San Fransisco,

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

An excellent and very conveniently located home away from home. I am a repeat guest from Germany. My daughter (living in Oakland) helped find this house, checking a number of other places and considering Mary's the best. I agree. It is quiet, surrounded by nice homes, yet close to Berkeley town and the university. It is a beautifully kept home with good beds and matresses, comfortable arm chairs, lots of books, a separate TV room. The breakfast is delicious, and I can park my car without difficulty. Yes, I will be back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

This was my first experience at a bed and breakfast and I must say, it was really nice! It felt like a home away from home. My mom and I stayed in the yellow room, which was my favorite of the rooms. The bedding was white, the walls a soft yellow. Lots of light and air, very clean, with a beautiful view. Mary was very sweet and accommodating. Our first morning, she prepared a delicious breakfast with all sorts of yummy goodness on the table to choose from. I would definitely stay here again....even if it's just so I can try her infamous zucchini bread :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Santa Clara, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

My sister and I stayed as guests last year, enjoying the location above the Clairmont Hotel, with our window looking down the hill into San Francisco Bay, out to the Golden Gate Bridge. My daughter and I returned here in January. The house reminds me of my mother's home, alive now just in memory. Mary Harrow is a most warm and welcoming hostess and her other guests whom we would meet at breaksfast all were interesting. Mary seems to draw people who share values in an unspoken way. There is a peace and solidity of a more tranquil era in the house. I will come back whenever feasibile.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I loved the view of the bay from the yellow room. Very comfortable bed and very QUIET. Within walking distance of restaurants and shops by College Avenue and Ashby. Breakfast was very fresh fruit and breads from the bakery down the street. Enjoyed meeting the other travellers. The personable aspect also appealed to me. Unlike the large hotels that feel so packaged, you could sit and have a conversation with people at breakfast. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We have stayed at Marys over the years and always enjoy the quiet location and beautiful neighborhood. Mary is very accomodating and a great host. The only negatives are the following: the home is in need of updating (bathrooms, paint), the breakfast is lacking substance (we found that several times we ate breakfast out). Also, we rented a car, but if someone didn't they wouldn't be close enough to public transportation, just something to keep in mind.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mary's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!