“Unique center of Berkeley” 4 of 5 stars

Best of Berkeley Gourmet Food Tour
Ranked #22 of 70 things to do in Berkeley
Activities: Dining, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: The heart of trendy Berkeley.
Sudbury, Massachusetts
35 attraction reviews
“Unique center of Berkeley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This has a different atmosphere from Telegraph Avenue. It has many restaurant mixed in with retail stores with some familiar store names found anywhere.

Visited March 2012

Minneapolis
14 attraction reviews
“Pyramid Alehouse: Terrible service, and mediocre beer.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

My wife and I visited the Pyramid Alehouse on a weekend afternoon. When we arrived, the outdoor patio looked inviting it 1/2 of the tables were open, but when we asked to be seated there we were told that we would have to wait for a table to be cleaned. This seemed peculiar, as several appeared to be clean and ready for patrons, but we thought it would just be a few minutes. After waiting for 20 minutes, we unfortunately decided to cut them some slack and to be seated inside, where almost all of the tables were empty and, apparently, clean. We I approached the hostess she apparently assumed that I was going to complain about the wait, and she irritably informed me that there was a couple that was entitled to be seated before us on the patio. This couple had arrived after us, and in any case it still was not clear why both couples were kept waiting with at least 5 empty and clean tables on the patio.

Once the hostess let me finish my sentence, we were seated inside by a surly assistant. We then sat for 20 minutes until someone brought us water and took our drink order. We then sat for another 15 minutes (by my watch, as by this time I was keeping track of time) until we received our beers, which were mediocre. The food was equally slow to arrive and was, at best, average. Finally, as we were leaving, my wife, bought a Pyramid shirt, mostly because it was only $5 and in a cute package. When we got home, she opened it and found that it was not the size that was labeled on the package.
If you want to visit a brewpub in Berkeley, go to the Jupiter, where the beer is superb, the service is excellent and the food is creative and delicious.

Chicago, Illinois
“Compared to Telegraph..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

What you may like about Shattuck avenue directly west of campus while you're visiting Berkeley:

a decent brewery with a nice outdoor patio (Jupiter), a few other interesting bars, several decent restaurants, gelato, BART, lots of movie theatres, a chain book store, not as 'scary' as Telegraph (i.e. your mom from Boise may be able to handle this better), you're at the west end of campus.

What you may prefer walking over to telegraph for:

cheaper, more exciting, and possibily better food, lively characters out and about, book and record stores, tee shirts, finding momento gifts for those back home, buying art/clothes/misc from street vendors, a college vibe, better chance to see something you don't see anywhere else.