“Put me on the first plane back....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Montego Bay

You added Hotel Riu Montego Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mahoe Bay, Ironshore, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ironshore
Chicago, Illinois
“Put me on the first plane back....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Not only is Jamaica wonderful, but so was our stay at the RIU Montego Bay resort. My husband and I were there for 10 days celebrating our honeymoon. The resort itself was very relaxing, and very cautious of all that went on. The staff were some of the nicest people I have ever met, and very accomodating. If you are looking for a very quiet, by yourselves type of honeymoon (or trip) the RIU probably isn't the place to go. We enjoyed it b/c we made some great friends, and really socialized a lot around the resort. Don't get me wrong, I fell asleep at the beach & the pool and was able to relax at all times it's just that the RIU is a very exciting place, w/ lots to do and see!
Outside of the hotel my husband and I did 2 tours, one day horseback riding & one day going to Dunn's River. The horseback riding which I was really excited for turned out to be something I could've passed on. The tour & the guides were great, you learned some great history but it was not worth the $75pp you had to pay.
Dunn's River was of course amazing as everyone told me it would be. It's unforgettable. The food was very good, but was done eating it after 5 days... not as great as you need it to be for 10 days. I ended up walking across the street to Burger King 2 of the days, and eating at Margaritaville (SO FUN) one night.... & then partied after.
I couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon staying at the RIU Montego Bay, the entertainment was great! Only true negative was how close it is to the airport as far as planes going over. If you think you'd be annoyed by that and could never live near an airport b/c of noise this isn't the spot for you, for me after day#2 it didn't phase me, but thats me.
Oh yes, and if you get your hair braided find Susan a local right on the beach. Very nice woman to talk to, and extremely reasonable prices about $60 less than what the hotel will charge.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (949)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

The evening entertainment was great and lasted for quite a long time (some of the jokes were not really for the young). Quite surprised to see alot of Spanish workers even though I did not see any Spanish residents in Jamaica (maybe I was in the wrong place). I was greeted in my room with loads of mosquitos and an unusual smell in the room. The hotel was not the standard that I am use to whilst visiting Jamaica. My 9 year old daughter was not impressed and said she did not want to go to the Riu again. The childrens area was more suited to the under 6's even though Riu promoted it as for ages 2-12.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Bradenton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

My family and I have always done cruises in the past but figured we should try an all-inclusive because this year it seemed to be more economical. I was not sure what to expect and a little nervous because I was not sure if I would like staying in one place for six days. Well all I can say is that it was fabulous and we are planning our next all inclusive in the next couple of months. I don't have anything to compare it to but the Riu was great. The food and service was second to none. Everyone was so friendly and ready to help. The shows at night were very enjoyable. They are not professional broadway productions but very entertaining and the staff did their best. The buffet was fabulous and in my opinion much better than they are on the cruises. The selection is incredible and there was always something for everyone in my family. The only complaint I have for this hotel is that I thought they could have done a better job with the kids activities. They were not prepared and organized for this. My children are 12 and 10 and for this age group it was lacking. It seemed they were better organized for the little ones. When they did try to organize some activity, they were missing supplies (tennis balls, ping pong balls, etc). Pool was beautiful. Otherwise, everything else was great! We did do on activity off-site and that was the ziplining and we totally enjoyed that.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
douglasville georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

1.the customer service was great.
2.rooms was ok they upgraded us to the larger family room but the 2beds pushed together was suspect
3.friendly workers
4.shows was very good
5.food excellent
6.i would love to visit here again

first of all they accomidated me with an early check-in all you have to do is call about 2days early,and upon ou arrival they gave us drinks and took our baggage to the room they upgraded us too.the complimentary mini bar was the coolest.but i really feel in love with the great customer service from the bringing me drinks to my pool side chair to keeping my husbands beer glass full.but from the good shows to the great food everything was excellent.but i will tell you when they take you on the complimentery shopping spree do not go to the rainbow shoppe unless you want cigars but do you shopping for your liquoure at the supermarket next door it's cheaper.but they did have plenty of activities for adulst & kids everyday of the week. we stayed 6 days and had a blast this was our 3rd time to montego bay but our first to RIU we have always went to another resort but choose this one for a change of pace and it was new...check out was easy, the 24 hr sports bar with food,beer,coffee was awesome since i love coffee & my hubby loves beer. the italian food was great, and maho bay the food there was good also,the food at the rose hall was excellent....so all n all this is a great place to vacation with your kids or teenagers ther is stuff to do for all ages young & old... i have told all my co-workers & family & friends about the RIU they would have a nice time ther and whome ever travels ther also would too.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I went to Jamaica in the ending of March and into April. I had an awesome trip! Beautiful, and very clean resort. Swim up bar comes in handy. Nice beach, and pool. Rooms are very nice, and have built in mini bars. They restock them every other day. If you leave them a tip, they will everyday!
The food is all wonderful, they have a nice and wide selection at the buffet. We didn't even go to the restraunts because of how good the buffet food was! Be sure to check out the jerk hut! Water aerobics, the instuctor is very funny! The drinks are good, be sure to try a fruit kiss. :) Overall I had a wonderful time, and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Our first room must have had several occupants that enjoyed smoking in the room. After complaining they did switch our room to one that was much bigger (an odd layout though, 2 double beds pushed together and one double bed by itself). The overall layout of the resort room buildings only gives about 35% of the rooms an ocean view. Many of the room’s balconies face other rooms or wooded areas. In regards to food they only have about 2 areas in the main dining hall that serve traditional Jamaican dishes, the rest is so-so. The staff is friendly enough (although not as friendly as the staff at the Riu in Ocho Rios). The pools are large and roughly 5 feet all around. The beach has compacted white sand and I refused to go into the ocean due to the murky water and vast amounts of seaweed.

The entertainment is good depending upon participation from the crowd. The onsite club played the oldest music possible (stuck in the 70’s & early 80’s). The resort is kept very clean. Be mindful that you will hear and see planes landing and taking off with regularity. I wouldn’t go back to this Riu due the room layout, the beach and location. I would definitely go back to the Riu in Ocho Rios. I would only recommend to someone if they deeply desired to be close to the airport

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I am at the moment at Riu Montego Bay since monday (8th June) and I will stay till next monday.I don't know it this was made before, however I think it is a good way to help other people with concrete feed back on the Hotels. So, I am avaiable to check something for you regarding the facilities or the service, if you want. Hoever, I will star to make some statements on my 4th day here.

Food:
Excelent. Good variety even for people in special diet regime. I am in a diet and I can find everything I need. The dificulty is to resist the goo offers ;)

Rooms:
They are confortable and new. I am in an average room with fridge, TV, balcony, hair-dryer, etc. Ideal to sleep and rest a bit after a sunny day.

Staff:
Top friendly and polite.

Beach:
Very nice beach. The sea is like a big lake. There is something one's got to get used to: When we get in to the water, after some meters, there are a lot of vegetatio over the sand so the feelling is a litle surprising, but after one or two steps we got used to and it feels good.
The only thing is that it could be a litle be more music than the animateur talking. But it's ok...really.

Facilities:
Very nice open and fresh facilities. Clean, practical, and easy to circulate. Gymn is ok, lobby with free wireless internet (this is really great!). Pool is ok.

So, as I told I will be here till next monday and if you have some doubt, please ask and I will try to help.

I got a really nice pack, so it is reaaly above my expectations.

Greettings

Jose

NB: I will post pictures when I arrived home as I didn't bring the usb cable.

Been to Hotel Riu Montego Bay? Share your experiences!